Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead super dual intake showdown

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveohnick2932, Jul 2, 2010.

?
  1. OFFY

23 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. EDELBROCK

47 vote(s)
    38.8%
  3. NAVARRO

51 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

What does everybody think?

What intake would everyone reccomend for a hot street flathead?

What manifold performs better than the other?

What manifold has the best quality and cost?

OFFY
    EDELBROCK
    NAVARRO

I chose these three because they all have similar port lay outs

Attached Files:

2. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

3. I'm usually an OFFy guy but I like the looks of the navarro.

I don't know if anyone has done any dyno testing on the 3 of them so I really can't answer your question.

4. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I like how the Navarro one looks also. Its rather spendy though.

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

It seems like I've heard that the edelbrock is the best performing super dual... Honestly, they're so similar, I'd consider you delusional if you told me you were able to tell the difference in the seat of the pants. Real-world results come from the 50 other little things you do to the engine, not the one big change.

6. This is a good post - I'm looking to put a 2x2 on our roadster flathead ('49 engine). Got the extra carb but not the intake yet. Haven't decided which one to get...

7. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Lot of old time flathead builders have told me the Edelbrock super dual is the best flathead Ford intake

8. I bought a Navarro from H&H this year, super nice maniold. I also have a super dual rip off, I will test them back to back one day.

9. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Has anyone ever noticed that there are 2 different types of edelbrock super dual intakes??

I seen a few online and at swapmeets that have the exhaust heat cross over and some that dont have the cross over (the new ones dont have the heat cross over).

Does anyone know the reason for this? I bet one was for "track" and the other was for "street"

10. Capitan Insano

Capitan Insano

Navarro is the best

11. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Seems to be a favorite around here!

12. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I think the Edelbrock is the way to go. Mostly because thats what I have at the moment. :D I have no idea which intake mine is, does anybody know?

The Navarro seems to be the intake of choice for some reason? I'd like to see a real comparison between the commonly available intakes. New or old.

Kevin

Attached Files:

• 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      352.7 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      347.8 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      253.2 KB
      Views:
  13. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I think yours is a regular 49-53 dual intake. Looks cool!!

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Someone / someplace out there must already have the "numbers" on these, stock or modified. What do all those flathead motor builders who supply the chainer builds say?

Ifn you missed it, Hot Rod Deluxe just published a review of vintage Chevy intakes. Perhaps you can petition them for some flathead analysis? Gary

15. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take this to the bank!

16. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I like pictures!

Lets get some more pics of peoples flatheads with their super dual intake set ups!!

17. Someone has done this, and every other flathead mod as well, all dyno'd and documented. It's all in a book put out by a guy on Fordbarn, I believe his user-name is JWL.

18. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I have always gone with offy and never had a problem,the next flathead i do i will try the navarro.

19. ThrottleJockey

ThrottleJockey

i have a navarro intake and works fine. My only complaint is that there is no heat riser in the intake so initial warmup is crucial to engine performance. My intake freezes up at first start.

20. Flathead Fever

Flathead Fever
    from CA

The “Super Dual” intakes came out right after the War. A few years later, the triples were the hot ticket. 1946-‘47-‘48 were the years that “real” street driven hot rod roadsters were still competitive at the dry lakes. This was the era when the “Super Duals” were king.

When I first got interested in flatheads I wanted to know which heads, intake, cams… were the best. The more I got sucked into the Flathead-World the more I realized there is more to Flatheads than just vintage horsepower. Choosing the right part for a flathead is not as simple as sticking a bunch of intakes on a flow bench and looking at the numbers, you have to also consider the history factor and that will effect each hot rod enthusiast in a different way. You might have a dad that was a hot rodder and you want to honor his memory by running the speed equipment he used. Maybe you think the Pierson Brothers Coupe is the greatest hot rod ever built so you are going to run Edelbrock equipment on your hot rod.

I’m a fan of the SCTA Gophers club, they had more flathead powered ’32 Roadsters than any other club. I have spent time with a couple of them and these guys mostly ran Evans intakes because several of them worked for Earl. Since I have met these guys that actually cast and machined the orignal intakes I now have a personal connection with the Evan’s Speed Equipment. Sometimes “history” trumps “best” when it comes to choosing flathead parts. If you don’t live in Southern California some of this might not mean anything to you but if you live in Glendale your probably a Navarro fan and if you live it Whittier then Evans is your guy and no matter where you live you can’t go wrong with Edelbrock. It's all bitchen!

I went through the entire October, 1947 SCTA Racing program and made a list of how many different Flathead V8 intakes were used on this one day. I have no way of knowing what configuration they were but the majority were probably super duals by that time. These vintage SCTA programs settle once and for all which equipment was the most popular.

I might be off one or two on my count so don’t quote this as being 100% accurate, it‘s just for fun.

206 Flathead Ford V8 entries at the October, 1947, SCTA meet

Burns 1
    Cyclone 2
    Edelbrock 51
    Edmunds 1
    Evans 31
    Meyer 9
    Miller 1 (Stu Hilborn entry)
    Navarro 45
    Offenhauser 4
    Ord 4
    Sex 1 (Doane Spencer entry)
    Sharp 1
    Smith 1
    Spalding 1
    Stock 7
    Tattersfield 1
    Thickstun 4
    Trousdale spl 1
    Weiand 35
    Unknown? 5

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  21. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

This is the kind of stuff I like to see!!

ThottleJockey, Heat is a wonderful thing on a street motor!

22. 29ron

29ron

Offy casting are junk made in china

23. 29SX276

29SX276

My 2 X 2 Offy fits my '51 8BA perfectly;just had to match up the ports a wee bit.Nice casting,no flaws,good finish, mill runs well with this manifold;no complaints.:D

24. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

I don't think there will be a difference between the three intakes in power output with a 239ci engine and a 3/4 cam.

The offy has a heat riser which is good for street.

I don`t like the Navarro casting as they use the same casting for early and late intakes

the bosses for the oil filler/draft tube look like zits.

I have an OLD Navarro 2x2 (universal model) and i like it alot.

Edelbrock have no heat riser either.

25. HOTRODDICKIE

HOTRODDICKIE

I have an old Fenton, the Port match is pants it's so far out, it is impossible to get a good match even with loads of die grinding. I did have an Offy for a while and the casting quality and port match was far better than the Fenton. Saying that I couldn't tell the difference performance wise.
    Looking to change to a Slingshot or Thickstun cause I want to mount the generator in the centre.
    Rich

26. I've always liked Navarro equipment - but have ran Edelbrock as well. I'm a bit biased toward Navarro because I used to buy manifolds/heads from him, bench race and ponder all things flat. Like Mike from H&H (Captain Insano) - I'm a bit biased toward Navarro (due to my relationship and because Navarro heads were the first I owned), but who the heck isn't biased when it comes to flatheads!

27. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I ave noticed that also. I wonder if there is enough material on them so you could grind them smooth/away?

28. Capitan Insano

Capitan Insano

the navarro universal has the heat riser

29. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

Pm-7 gets my vote BUT limited to the above 3 choices... Navarro.

30. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

PM-7 also gets my vote.
    Duane.