Register now to get rid of these ads!

some id please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55 dude, Jun 28, 2010.

1. thanks! if you compare the front axles they look the same but the backing plates are different, yours has the large adjusting bolt at 9 oclock and mine doesn't making me think different hubs and brakes were adapted. i also thing the rearend could be oldsmobile (only a picture will confirm) with axles redrilled from 5 on 5" to 5 on 4.75" pattern.

2. david38rc

david38rc

Good eye, I didn't notice the different backing plates. Keep us updated on what you do to your rig, might give everyone else some ideas.

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you buy it, I'd try to find a nice 37 grille for it, they look better than what is in there.

4. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

if your looking at the front of the motor, on the passenger side where the intake meets the head , if there is a set of double ribs that you can put your thumb between then its a 283. only the 283's had that casting

5. can you tell from this picture
    [​IMG] the motor has the 4v "powerpack heads according to the triangle on bar.

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Those heads were used on both 283s and 250 hp 327s.

7. from what i found the 36',37' grille centers are the same, just the outer are different. if i do buy it that grille will stay unless your gonna buy another one.;)

8. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

Those look like 327 valve covers to me. Also, I'm pretty sure they never put a Q-jet on a 283 (Assuming it's the original carb).

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

No, they didn't. However, they never put a Quadrajet on either a 283 or a 327 with the heads he's got, so it's an engine that's been somewhat pieced together.

10. their is adaptor under the Q-jet, what carb did they run on those motors from the factory in 4v. thanks

11. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Power pack 283s and 250hp 327s used an intake that took either a Rochester 4GC or a Carter WCFB, while 300hp 327s used an intake that took a Carter AFB from '62-'65, and in '66, they used all sorts of carbs--AFB, AVS, Holley 4150, or Q-jet.

12. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

if you have or can get a picture thats a little more to the drivers side not much just like 2 inches i can tell you

13. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

This is correct, the center sections are identical. The '36 grilles were also used on 1/2 ton trucks AND cars, so they're easier to come by than a '37 1/2 ton truck grille, which were only used on '37 1/2 ton Dodge trucks.

That said, you already have the hard item to find in good shape. The center section is a chromed pot metal, and is frequently damaged. The outer section of the '37 grille is made up of metal slats, which you could make yourself from sheet metal if you're so inclined. Similar metal slats were used in the 1 ton and up grilles, as well as other years, so you could borrow them from another grille. They're just riveted to the outer rib. I'll be straightening mine, fortunately I was able to get another center section that's not broken as my original (funny enough, I bought an entire '36 car grille to get it).

[​IMG]

BTW, if you do get that truck, that intact crank hole cover (forms the very bottom of that center section, and missing in the above picture of my truck) is worth as much as the rest of the entire grille. They're VERY hard to find at all, let alone in good shape like that one.

14. having a hell of a time deciding on this 37' dodge truck, 36' plymouth 2dr. sdn. or a 50' ford convertable! these are only 3 of the current choices.

15. Having not seen the other two cars or even the entirety of the truck, I'd go with the truck. It seems to straddle the line of custom and hot rod with confidence.

16. david38rc

david38rc

What'd get?, I'm hoping that hotrod pickup....