Register now to get rid of these ads!

Toys of Christmas past....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pitts642, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Forgot to post this... probably my neatest Christmas present. At 100 bucks it was VERY expensive at the time. Anyone remember the old AMT "turnpike" racing system? I had the basic package and got a couple of extra straights later for oval racing. I used AMT kits of stockers to make my own cars, too. Here is a link I found about them. The cars were attached to a shuttle that ran under the track surface. You could spin them out, go the other way, and even get them up on two wheels. Since the car was attached via a movable arm under the front end, they would not fly off the track. You also had to "steer" them thru the crossovers to change lanes and pass. Gary

http://www.amtmodelturnpike.com/index.htm

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I think I was 5 and there was a Lionel train under the tree on Christmas morning. We didn't have much so I know that my folks must have sacrificed to get it for me. I kept it for many years but it got displaced somewhere along the moves we made with my dad being in the Air Force.

Frank

3. Help me out here... Christmas 1965 or 66 I got a red battery powered Corvette. It was about a foot long and had a lantern type battery in the control box. It was driven by the T-handle on the control box and had about 6 feet of flat wire from the box to the car. you twisted the handle to steer.. what was it called??

4. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I remember those. I wasn't lucky enough to have one though. :) I think they were made by Remco?

5. scarylarry

scarylarry

For some reason :) someone thought I should have a Jalopy Showdown toy! The funny thing is that I thought I was some genius coming up with the name for the show and someone did it years ago for this toy!
    [​IMG]

6. jmh

jmh

I have one of those BAJA BUGS around here somewhere!! John:eek:

7. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I still have my set of those!! Every so often I like to set them up and play for awhile to see how many "safety-police moms" I can piss off. :D

8. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

9. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

10. HTbomb

HTbomb
    from Florida

[​IMG]

Still have my COX Dune Buggy in box similar to this one. Mine has cardboard lower box.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Oh come on, that's not even fair! I read the first page and was going to comment on the smash up derby stuff, and you trump the works with the Cox dune buggy! Mine was cool, I had a 2 channel radio unit and converted it to radio control. Way too much fun in my parents manicured desert landscaping! 'Course, I was the one doing to manicuring too...

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

LAWN DARTS! Damn it was cool to be a child of the seventies! All the kids toys are so pussy today I think I would die. Safety be damned I NEED lawn darts! P.S. Any one else tried starting up a Cox .049 powered plane or car in a public park lately? instead of curious kids running to see, Two cop cars showed up and promptly wrote a few tickets! ('Course, I flew it, crashed it, any way after they left....)

13. chuckbob

chuckbob

I was really bad the year I turned eight. So all I got at Christmas was this.
    :mad:

Attached Files:

14. aldixie

aldixie

Stock car Smash up was one back home, Tank Command,Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle and Rocket Cycle and of course Scalelectric

15. junkyardkat

junkyardkat

Anyone else have SSPs, loved em.

16. busch

busch

Fisher Price Choo Choo

[​IMG]

17. ScottV

ScottV

This is all we ever got ... and we were damn glad to get it !!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

18. philo426

philo426

19. philo426

philo426

20. smittystoys

smittystoys

I remember i wanted an orange krate but my mom always got stuff at sears so i got a clone of a krate but it was cool wish i still had it....

21. Johnny99

Johnny99

Yep SSP front engine dragsters, if I remember correctly the front end was busted on both of them 20 minutes out of the box. No shutdown area at the end of the hallway :( ouch.
    Have a great 4th everybody, John

22. I still have this one. Called the Lakester Special. Mine is red though.

Attached Files:

23. Half-Fast Motors

Half-Fast Motors

I think it was Christmas 1960, I got a Texaco gas station, 1:24 or 1:25th scale. Must've been destroyed by myself with help from my sisters. I found another one a couple of years back, this one is VERY well cared for.

24. Deuces

Deuces

I think they were called SS/T's guys... I had a Cox Vega panel wagon funny car... I think it was orange and green.. I still have the HotWheels Snake & Mongoose Drag Strip set. I never did use the loops when I set it up.. I always thought those were lame..

25. Deuces

Deuces

I remember having the single kits when they first came out in the early '70's.. Like all the rest of the models I had back then, they all met the fate of the "BLACK CATS" :D ..... BOOM!! :eek: :( I bought this set last year on ebay and hope to get started on these soon. Hope they turn out nice.. :)

Attached Files:

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

When I was in the 2nd grade my folks got me a big diecast wrecker. I have no idea who made it, but it had opening doors and steerable front wheels. It was the greatest. After years in the attic, my dad gave it away. I saw one like it recently at a toy show for over $1200.00. Man oh man. Gary

27. Johnny99

Johnny99

Yes I think SST is correct. Any body else hot rod that little COX .049 with the hi compression glow plug and dual port cylinder from the TEE DEE .049? Man that would make em really scream. I still have two Buggys laying around, a little beat, probably enough parts to build a wall hanger for my shop, HEY I should do that!
    Have a great 4th,John

28. This 1/4 mile slot car set with working tree and four speed shifter. Only available through Plymouth

[​IMG]

29. SuddenDeath

SuddenDeath
    from Florida

Aurora "Super Looper" HO race set! Still have pieces of it. Threw most of it away when I left for the Corps after high school. Smash up derby cars. Model kits from the time I could snap them together.

Funny, since ebay, I ended up finding a couple of the original super looper sets and couldn't resist messing around with them again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.