Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 Buick Hearse Chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bosscady, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Bosscady

Bosscady

I pulled this 1960 Buick Hearse from sitting in the weeds for 30 years. I know she is rough, rusted, and ugly but so am I. This is a project for me and my kids to work on. My question to you is, chop or no chop? I know the curved glass is a problem. I plan on rebuilding the 401 Nailhead and swapping the tranny for a 400. Any thoughts?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Attached Files:

2. Gerg

Gerg

no i wouldn't do it but it's not my car. I think a hearse is cool enough without a chop

3. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! someone photoshop this baby into a chopped ,slammed and spiderwebed cruiser!!!!!!!

4. big creep

big creep

yea i dont think you should but, look up the kargoyle. thats a killer hearse!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You mean a rat rod? wrong place dude...

6. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Someone should photoshop this into one bad, slammed, and chopped 60 Buick El Camino

7. sololobo

sololobo

What a cool ride, whatever you do will be cool. Chopping this big one will take more energy than I would want to put out, besides its already a rare, cool, car, I would put my energy into other areas such as mehanical and cosmetics. It is plenty radical as it sets. I can't even fathom the amount of work chopping would involve with window mouldings, glass, etc. It may be the start of the end of the car. Rock on! ~Sololobo~

8. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I would chop it , like in the second pic... easiest way will be to get a 59-60 GM hardtop windshield, and trim, chop it to that, that on the hearse will probably get you a 6 inch chop.... hardtops were about 2 inches lower than sedans, and I think the hearses were about 2 inches higher than the sedans

9. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Find this top and I'd be on my way.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  10. How many of those were built? How many are left, anywhere at all? It's already going to be the most unique thing anywhere it goes, except perhaps a professional car national meet.

So I wouldn't hack it up and ruin it, it doesn't look like it's that bad in the first place. If it was like the '59 Pontiac ambulance that used to be in a yard here, that would be different, that thing would have had to have been carted out in pieces and used a donor car for a frame and floors to put back together. As it is that one got scrapped.

Plus you have your work cut out for you to swap out the trans, since you're going to have to put some truck arms or something under it to locate the rearend and scare up a 61-63 center section to make it open drive.

11. papajohn

papajohn

I would not chop it personally. Looks too hard. There is a chapter in one of the How To Chop Tops books that shows a 60 Olds being chopped. The windshield cannot be cut. Replacements are expensive and custom glass is in the several thousand dollar range. They sunk the entire windshield frame down about 3 inches. LOTS of work. When they were done, it was not much of an improvement to me.

12. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

:rolleyes:Did I say rat rod? I said slammed chopped and spiderwebbed , you know , somthing like you'd do to a old custom...

13. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

question is, do YOU have the skills to accomplish this is a professional manner? If not, do you have the money to pay a professional? If the answer to either of these questions is NO - then leave it alone - please do not create another butchered project that will show up for sale when you realize the complexity and the extent of what it takes to lower the roof on that car. As previously noted by others, the car is more than unique enough in its own right to have you just cherry out the body, do whatever you want to the running gear and doll up the interior - and, as they say here in Vegas: "Let It Ride"

In spite of some other twits urging you to put spider webs on it - please eschew any temptation you have to "rat it out" - or move on to a forum more accepting of that genre of fad crap.

dj

14. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

Slammed yes, Chopped Maybe, but Spiderwebbed???? Ummm, yes that in my opinion is RR. My $.02

15. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Ratroddue says:

Did I say rat rod? I said slammed chopped and spiderwebbed , you know , somthing like you'd do to a old custom...

Buddy (generically applied) - webs were not part of "old custom" treatment. You're either very young, or you haven't bothered to get familiar with tradtional rods and customs. Take your spiderwebs where they belong - NOT HERE

dj

16. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Weld on spider web = rat rod. There is a traditional paint technique called spider webbing,I don't know which is being discussed.

17. If you find a good top off of a 59 Elco and ruin it, I will personnally make sure you get a ride in the hearse. : )
    But seriously, I've cut some shit up in my time too.
    I vote Don't Chop It!!!! Way too rare.

Have fun with the kids. Wish I would have had a Dad to do a project with. Good Luck. Happy Motorin'

18. Propwash........... Well said, your comments are spot on. I see why you are a senior member.

19. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

There would never be a custom built thinking like that.There are donors for any idea a person can come up with.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd do some measuring to see if that would work. I know it did on some models of those years. You get the hardtop windshield and then chop the top to match the windshield. No custom cut glass but a custom look.

Myself, I think I'd concentrate on getting the car back into top rate shape and forget the chop. The money and time spent on the chop could be put to better use somewhere else on the car.

21. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I vote no chop. It would be to easy to get into the middle of it, get discouraged, and car is never done

Maybe an early sixties surf theme for this one.

22. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Come to think of it , I think you just hit it with a surf theme , I stand corrected on my thinking , the surf theme sounds bitchin'....

23. bobjob55

bobjob55

how about leaving it a 4 door ,,, removing the side glass ,,, slide the rear glass behind the rear doors ,,, and end-up with a 4 door el camino looking thing ... might look real unique and slick if done right ........

24. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Don't chop it. Lower it and drive it.

25. 61TBird

61TBird

No Chop.
    Keep it a Hearse.
    Now that you've posted your 1st Thread...Do An Intro!

26. Bosscady

Bosscady

Point taken! Thanks

27. Bosscady

Bosscady

Thanks for all the input. Me and the kids are going to leave to top alone. There were 86 made in total and as far as I know this is 1 of 2 left. Hope to see you guys around.

28. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I nearly choked myself laughing....

29. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

best advice in this thread.

30. Gotta agree with Strange Agent as well. Good paint, limo tint windows and an altitude adjustment. Done. Just make sure the a/c works!!