Register now to get rid of these ads!

Schiefer Aluminum Flywheel Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tdesoto276, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Tdesoto276

Tdesoto276
    from Des Moines

The Schiefer aluminum Flywheel I want to put behind my DeSoto hemi has a lot of crazing in the brass insert. Questions:

1--Is it usable in its current condition?

2--Is it serviceable?

3--Who can bring it back into usable condition?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

I would use it. Normal flywheel grinding equipment does not like aluminum and brass/bronze.

3. Irish

Irish

it looks pretty heat cracked, chuck it up in a lathe and see if you can clean it up

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I wouldn't chuck it up in a lathe. Try a automotive machine shop with a flywheel resurfacing machine. A purpose built macine always does a better job when one is available.

Frank

5. one thing I learned about aluminum flywheels is that they expand and stretch the starter ring gear and it then comes loose and slips

on the stock car i just drilled between the gear and flywheel and rammed in sheet metal screws and broke off the excess screw head, maybee not the most sanitary,:eek: but you gotta go racing!!!:rolleyes:

6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Just put it on and use it. That coating is so thin it won't take a surficing.

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

A decent machine shop could make/install a new insert in brass or steel..Ya just gotta wanna pay for it..Check with flywheel manufacturers, bet they have a rebuild service..$$$.

8. Tdesoto276

Tdesoto276
    from Des Moines

Any others with $.02?

9. Run it as is....After a few days of use,I never saw one that didnt have the crazing affect.....This goes back to selling hundreds of them in the 50-60s.

10. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

The insert is bronze. Hays use to sell the replacement insert, but I don't know if they still do. If you know how to use a engine lathe you can true it up just fine. JC

11. Tdesoto276

Tdesoto276
    from Des Moines

JC:

Thanks for the correction. I knew it is bronze but had a brain fart...

Thanks to all for your input. As always, the HAMB is where you go to get the answers.