Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vent windows, for or against?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead fred, Jun 29, 2010.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I have to disagree with this... I still like them if they are done right.

2. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I like them. It's cool cruising around with all the vents open. It adds to the functionality (and personality) of old iron.

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

And exactly what category would that be...??

R-

4. Leadsled RnR

Leadsled RnR
    from CO

To me..(remember just an opinion)...vent windows just look good. On chopped cars, they look even better, and functioning ones show that the builder went the extra mile.

5. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Unless you have A/C keep em. They move alot of air and keep the ride comfortable. I only wish I had em in my daily!

6. keep, even w/AC.

7. HRod 50

HRod 50

In My Opinion, if you car came with them keep them. Even in a chop. When I eventually do the body work on my Merc,I've discussed with Rick how can we keep them. Now I'm talking about a 4 door, so I"m a bit against the norm anyway, so why not keep my vent windows. First and formost is we must get the lines right, so if that means my vent windows are going to be the size of small pizza slices or even a dorito, so be it. I am putting A/C in my car anyway, so functionailty doesnt factor into why I want to keep them. It's just that no one really does and I want to..

8. Keep them, they really work.

9. Nothing says old car like vent windows split windshilds and cowel vents, has to stay

10. Slow55

Slow55

Don't leave home without them.

11. 56 Rum Runner

56 Rum Runner
    from Missouri

cars lost some character when vent windows went away. Keep them, they are great when it's raining, but you want some fresh air and when it's hot they help pull in air.

12. fjordrIver

fjordrIver
    from California

I noticed the triangle shaped wind wings didn't do much on my 65 Suburban but the rectangle wings on the Ford with the wrap around windshield blast the air in if angled right and definitely needed when hot. But of course whatever you do is cool. If we all did the same thing, it could get boring.

13. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

If you are gonna drive the piss outta it, keep the vent windows....if not lose em...
    I mean they are functional they are your AC on your driver...I open all the vent windows on the buick and the crotch coolers and I can cruise in comfort on a 90 degree day

14. pdq67

pdq67

Let's look at it this way!!

If a Camaro isn't a "wing-window", it's a wannabe Camaro in my book!

pdq67

15. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

16. phukinartie

phukinartie

I would rather spend 100 hours fixing wing windows than spending 1 hour removing them
    Plus it deflects air so the people in the back seat don't get air blasted

17. AD

AD

keep em, wish my 49 GMC had em'

18. ChekrdPast

ChekrdPast

I was considering getting rid of the vents in my '55 F 100 Panel. After reading this I'm keepin' 'em. Great thread. Poor man's AC is the way to go...

19. How about the BACK vent windows!
    Doing a little work on my '49 Ford 2door. Not on the road yet. I plan to keep the FRONT vent windows. Remember how nice they were when I was a kid. But I'm thinking about pulling out the BACK vent windows! Much improve the looks of the thing. And I'm not riding in the back seat on warm days anyway. Maby someone has a kit for this! HA, HA! Anybody done this? Lets see pics if so...

20. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Keep the vent widows.....

21. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I like killing kittens too......

(not really) However I like certain cars/trucks with one peice glass though the only reason that I chose to put one peice glass in my 49 was cause the doors were totally gutted of anything other than the sheetmetal and I didnt feel like spending giga bucks buying all the repop stuff so I fabbed all my own guts.

22. codeblu

codeblu

I'm taking them out of my 55 F100, yet I'm going to leave them in my 51 Plymouth.

23. rickkane

rickkane

I chopped the top on my shoebox and I'd like to keep the vents but by the time I get them cut down, rechromed, buy new glass, new seals etc I'm into serious money. I figured its going to cost me approx $700.00 to put the vents back in then I still have to get the windows back in the car. I figure just going with one piecers will run me about $1000.00

24. k-member

k-member

Those are one of the one's I do like with out the rear vents. I always thought the rear ones looked funny. Esp on a chopped shoebox.

25. Chopped tops with wind wings are the coolest, cos I know there's a lot of time involved. Plus I can't weld whatever they're usually made of. Now I think a 2dr Tri Five wagon w/o wind wings would be something I would like to look at. But triangle late model wind wings suck.. So it depends on the vehicle. My Dads old 48 Chevy pick up doesn't have wind wings.. and when you barely rolled down the window, it was mega blast. No in betweens. Yet the ONLY Camaro I like is a 68, since it doesn't have a wind wind. My 2¢

26. 1934coupe

1934coupe

There was just one at GG Rhinebeck that was a 49/50 Ford black, chopped and without the back vent window I had to do a double take it looked real good it also won a GG award. As for me I'm one joining the swim against the tide group, I'm taking them out of my 57 chevy I like the clean lines. I don't have A/C and I will be driving it and racing it.

Pat

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  27. sobpunx

sobpunx

keep em....of course

28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

vent windows are traditional...

29. flathead fred

flathead fred

Wow, who would of thought such a response to my little vent window post. Think it is decided, the vent windows stay, hell I have them in all my other old rides. Now I just need to find one for the drivers front, I have the other three. Thanks for the heavy reply.

30. pontiac

pontiac

I'm for the vent windows also :cool: