Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vent windows, for or against?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead fred, Jun 29, 2010.

1. flathead fred

flathead fred

So I am about to finally paint my car (51 Ford Fordor). Then I can get glass back in, I am thinking I want to eliminate my vent windows and go one-piece side glass. I have spoken to some who act as though I am killing a kitten by ridding myself of vent windows. Just think the lines are so much smoother without them. What do you think?

2. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

I took he vent wings out of my VW bugs. Wish I never did, they really help pull in the air. My C-10 pick up will always have then.

3. Exactly what HE said. But, damn, me and my Cal bugs looked cool!:D FWIW to ya', stick with the vent windows...

4. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

5. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

unless you have AC, i would be keepin them in.

6. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I love the cozy windows! I would not remove them.

7. retromotors

retromotors

Vent windows are wonderful things!
    I'd keep 'em.

8. love my vent windows- with them and my center cowl open-keeps things nice and cool in side

9. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Remove vent windows ?? No Way !

10. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

wing windows are awesome. ive come across a few cars where they didnt really effect air coming into the car at all but 100% of the time they are cool as hell regardless. its another body line and usually more chrome. whats not to love?

11. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Keep them they are usefull

12. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Keep 'em,

(unless you're going to compete in the new NSRA street rod category....:eek:)

13. i need my vents on the 53 chev they are a air blast :Dfor those of us who dont have Air Conditioning

14. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I wish that I had never taken them out of my 47 Chevy and I do have A/C, if it wasn't so damn much work I'd put them back. I really miss them.

B:(B

15. LOVE them! I wish they never stopped putting them on production models!

I had a '91 Suburban that had them...then went to a '99. Man I missed them!

16. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

Keep the vent windows.

17. Gator_13

Gator_13

Keep the vent windows unless your going to do a chop....then they look stupid.

Gator

18. russ1403

russ1403

im "FOR" vent windows:)

19. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Every thread seems to have one asshole who swims against the tide. Today I volunteer myself as the designated asshole. If it's clean lines you want on a Kustom I'm all for losing the vents. Did it on the Kripple Kart, and it improved her lines a lot. But then again, she is a Panel truck, and needed a lot of improving. But I for one think one piece side windows are more acceptable than sleeping with your sister or massacreing schoolkids so if you wanna go for it, to use that old favourite HAMB phrase 'it's your car, do what you like'.
    I'll go and sit in the corner now and contemplate the consequences of my actions
    Paul

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

looks aint everything when your sweating your ass off!
    but, sometimes you have to suffer to be , or look cool..Personally i wouldnt do it.

I dont smoke, but i know alot of people who do and love the vent window to pull the smoke out when its raining. And they hate all the newer cars that no longer have them.

Its a trade mark of days gone by..I would think removing them would steer you in the direction of...dare i say it? Street Rod

21. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

If you like driving with the windows down and your arm hanging out the window then keep them.

22. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Sometimes you have to stick with "function" instead of looks. If you don't have air, you'd be kind of crazy to remove them. I guess if you only plan on driving it late a night or early in the morning, it might work...

23. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

I think that the wing windows add some "kool effect" to cars. also deffinatly help in a car with no AC

24. Graystoke

Graystoke

KEEP ! They are very useful.:D

25. bobjob55

bobjob55

pull up pictures of your car with and without the wind wings ..just because you can get rid of them ,,,,,, should you ??? some cars WILL look better with ,, and some will look like crap ... even on the same model of cars .. just depends on how car is set-up ..
    BUT my vote on a car older than 1965 is NO WAY ..........

26. nwaringa

nwaringa

Damn you people....

[​IMG]

27. mj40's

mj40's

The widows on my 40 Coupe are really small at 15" wide, due to the vent windows. I have got used to a larger opening on my 40 pickup but will still leave the vents on my coupe. Venting is best done with the cowl vent anyway.

28. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

Functionality of vent windows is great i like em. The look with no vent windows is awesome too. your choice.

29. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Removing vent windows reminds me a little of the people that removed the partition in the rear windows of split window '63 Vettes when the '64's came out. Just sayin... :confused:

30. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54