Register now to get rid of these ads!

Team Seagull Build Thread

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Skip Pipes, Jun 30, 2010.

1. I've been lurking several years watching all the fun and it just so happens I got a work break (unemployed) and damn I hate when that happens! Oh well, at least it was self inflicted!

I've been collecting parts for a HA/GR since their inception so I decided it was either now or never to slap them together to see what they look like. Honestly, I've had the front axle, spring, spindles and steering arm for 15 years so I count them as free.

There's a joke at my house that goes something like "I can build that in 2 weeks for $2 thousand dollars." Yep, my wife isn't fooled and knows to apply a multiplier where everything takes me 5 times longer and 10 times the cost.

True to form I claimed I could rough this car up in 2 weeks and only spend $1 thousand. The good news is I'll only double the dollar cost but i'm right on track with the time multiplier.

I pulled a S-10 rear at 1/2 at off days from Pick-Your-Part and slapped some old tires on it for mock-up. The front wheels are Sportster 19" and I turned the spindles to match them. I reversed the Corvair box and borrowed the scattershield from another project for mock-up. The engine and trans are donated and the only sizeable cost is in the tubing and sheet alumnium. Pay no attention to the slicks as I'm ordering L78-15 Coker's this week for the rear.

So here she is at 6 weeks.

Attached Files:

2. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Aaaaall RIGHT! :cool:

Lessee, next ANRA's August 22nd and you've been at it ten weeks. That matches up about right, you can just make it. :D

Seriously, it's great to see another one coming together.

3. bobw

bobw

A terrific start! Looks like you've built a thing or two before and have a nice shop. Post lots of pics so we can enjoy the build.

4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Looks great Skip. Nice to see more cars coming together. At the rate our project is going we are going to have enough cars for a sixteen car field by the time we are done.:p

5. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Curiosity makes me ask...What is the project to the left of the HA/GR in pictures 3, 4, & 5?
    A bridge perhaps?:D

6. ThingyM

ThingyM

Nice looking ride Skip.. Welcome to the madness..

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Madness?? This stuff is full blown, fuel insanity!!:D

8. ScottV

ScottV

I'll tell you what madness is, every time I go in the shop I expect there to be a finished HA/GR where I left the pile of parts I have gathered :eek:

9. Hi Tom,

I'm not sure you remember but several years back I met you at an HA/GR breakfast, enjoyed it. I've also been watching intently as you guys have been having all the fun so I decided to get with the program.

Nonetheless, I was a bit distracted by cobbling together a Blown Fuel Bonneville roadster, pic attached. It will most likely get a 300 inch's small block and I expect it to run next year (finances dictating).

What I like about the HA/GR is it's inexpensive, my friends can drive it, it's easy to maintain and repair and it's a "no drama" form of racing for fun.

As for the BFR; well let's just say i'm saving that ride for me!

Here's a link to Landracing and my build page for the BFR.
    http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,6794.0.html

Skip Pipes

Attached Files:

• 001b.JPG
      001b.JPG
      File size:
      175.1 KB
      Views:
    • 008b.JPG
      008b.JPG
      File size:
      188.8 KB
      Views:
  10. top stuff, looks like a well thoughtout build, with skills to match, look forward to seeing it evolve in the next 6 weeks;):D

This is an area of particular interest to me at the moment, as, like many others, am working at a diet....

Can you narrow down the rim selection? year? is that late 90's/early 00's?

What Bearing size as a ballpark?

Cheers, and get cracking, look forward to reading more,

Drewfus:)

11. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

With the input shaft sticking out of a motor plate my guess was either a field generator or a field pump. That was prior to the pictures with the cage of course. :cool:

12. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Skip, I remember you from that breakfast as well, you're still on the HAMBsterHerd e-mail list.
    No one's used it in rather awhile though.

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Cool build Skip. Looks like you should get some fun rides in that one too!

14. ThingyM

ThingyM

Yea. I still have him on my E-mail list also.. Lets have another one of those Breakfasts again.. That was fun. And informative.....

15. Hi Drewfus,
    Thanks for the compliments. I think I’ve seen pics of your HA/GR and its top shelf.
    As for the rims, it’s a fairly simple solution. They’re 2001 up Sportster 19 x 2.25 inch with sealed 19mm bearings. There is a 25mm bearing for this wheel; however the spindle tapers to something close to 19mm, so I just stayed with the 19mm’s on both bearings and machined down the spindle shaft to fit. I also used original Ford spindles vs reproduction spindles as the Ford’s spindle shaft is noticeably longer and comfortably accepts the wheel hub width. The wheels come with spacers between the bearings so there are no preload issues, just tighten and go. The wheels are a little taller (downside) than I’d like but I outfitted them with low profile Bridgestone tires to compensate. The upside; these wheels cost 25% of new, proper dragster spoke wheels. I like the savings. If you’re willing to go with aftermarket rims you can really lose some weight over the OE wheels.
    Skip Pipes

16. ScottV

ScottV

Skip, judging by the pics, I think you flush more talent down after you wipe than I have in total. Your rides are AWESOME !!! Anyhow I have 2 questions, will that work with 21" Sportster C rims ?
    And would you turn a set of spindle for fellow Hambster (or even a Hamster) ???

Thanks, ScottV

17. Hi Scott,
    Thanks for the compliments. I looked at the 21” rims but thought they were too tall for my application. However, whatever wheel you pick (doesn’t have to be sportster) if they have sealed bearings they’ll work just as well as the 19” I used. When you source the wheels they will most likely have the bearings installed (better way). You’ll want a local machinist to fit the bearings to the spindles so you don’t eat up lots of $$ shipping wheels/spindles around. I’d think someone from the HAMB could recommend a local car/racing friendly machinist.
    Skip Pipes

18. ScottV

ScottV

Thanks Skip, the reason that I ask about the 21" is I have one in my shed and think I know where I can score another reasonably.

19. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

<---Thinks this "Skip Pipes" dude has some fab skillz.

Can't wait to see more. :)

20. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

21. my friend is running 21" harley wheels on the frt of his fed and itlooks ok but he has 33x10.5 on the rear and you don't notice the difference until he's parked with someone with 17's

22. Wow, what's not to love about a FED with 33" slicks. Have any pics so we can reference?

Thanks - Skip

23. Hi Jeff,

That's a really nice car and the front wheels look perfect.

Skip

24. Here’s an update on the progress I made this week.
    I finished the roll cage and while I would have liked to have fabbed it with large radius bends but I didn’t have the right dies, or bender to pull it off. So I used my trusty JD2 bender with 7” radius dies and bent the cage up early 60’s style. In reality I think it turned out OK and the tech guys will like it.
    The aluminum seat was a leftover from my LSR project and needed a good home. It was also a bit too modern for the era of this car so I gave it a haircut to bring it in line with “The Look.” I think it looks just right.

Attached Files:

• 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      File size:
      105.5 KB
      Views:
    • 08.JPG
      08.JPG
      File size:
      136.7 KB
      Views:
    • 09.JPG
      09.JPG
      File size:
      129.8 KB
      Views:
    • 11.JPG
      11.JPG
      File size:
      162.2 KB
      Views:
    • 21.JPG
      21.JPG
      File size:
      144.6 KB
      Views:
  25. I’ve also had the side panel’s cut for awhile but decided to spend some time straightening out their edges. They looked kind of plain so I made a flare for the steering shaft and attached it to the panel. The upper half goes on after the side panel is in place. The flare is a fence post anchor, cut in half. In fact I used lots of ornamental steel brackets on the car to speed up the build.

I also needed a battery and picked up an Odyssey battery and cobbled up a battery box. It will bolt to the underside of the floor/seat mount.

Now, as for my engine!
    Seeing as how I’m currently not employed I’ve decided to keep the free “Big” Chevy for this year (and run as an Outlaw) however I will put a 235 valve cover on it (to disguise it) and if you don’t know Chevy 6’s you won’t know the difference.

So before the chatter picks up; I have every intention of being “legal” as soon as possible. And to make that happen I had a friend loan me a stock, early GMC (size unknown) this week and will work to slip it in early next year.

Attached Files:

• 13.JPG
      13.JPG
      File size:
      111.7 KB
      Views:
    • 18.JPG
      18.JPG
      File size:
      134.4 KB
      Views:
    • 22.JPG
      22.JPG
      File size:
      125.5 KB
      Views:
  26. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Don't sweat the engine for now, just build it. Come run ANRA's Open Wheel with everyone else, and Dragfest & the Antique Nat's. :cool:

Get'er up and running, I don't care if you pedal it. :D

Ain't it a b.... that we never seem to get the time and the coins together? :rolleyes:

27. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Looks great Skip!

28. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Damn Skip...here we go again. Seems like every time someone builds a new car they just keep getting prettier and prettier and our property values go down again.:D

Looking great, you are doing a beautiful job.

29. 64 that's the way it's suppose to be we learn from seeing how other people do things if we stop learning we're dead