Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is hoarding helping our hobby and actually, what is hoarding?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no55mad, Jun 29, 2010.

1. no55mad

no55mad

Yea, I've seen the TV programs and I'm not iinto saving pizza boxes and last year's Haloween pumpkin but what about those car parts. If it wasn't for people saving all this old tin and iron would we have this hobby? For people that are not into the philosophy of preserving old cars, the saving of old parts probably falls into this catagory - 'for those that understand, no explanation is necessary - for those that don't understand, no explanation is possible'. But have you ever noticed that at classic car shows, especially free car shows, people show up in droves! So, would there be old car shows if this old tin and iron wasn't saved; and is that hoarding?

2. synthsis

synthsis

hoarding is a psychological disorder, akin to OCD in some regards, but piling up good old parts is not necessarily a bad thing. I was watching American Pickers last night and there were 2 cases that struck me as "holy shot, we (HAMBers) need to find these guys". The first was the former racer who had OG corvette parts strewn about his shop, stuff he didn't even realize he had. The second was the warehouse full of N.O.S. Harley parts. I'm not a Harley guy by any means, but this is something that could really reinvigorate some peoples projects.

3. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

I think there is a big difference between hoarding and collecting..

Collectors tend to buy and sell things to get to their definition of the best collection of their chosen field..the buying and selling keeps things moving around, and they eventually end up in the 'right ' hands

Hoarders have an irrational fear of selling anything. they just buy, and sit on vast amounts of stuff, so its only released into the market once they die.

Both things are good for the hobby to a degree.

4. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

without going into a dr.phil diatribe I will try to give an answer. Hoarding is a form of obsessive compulsive disorder where the person will give a value to everything that passes through their hands. there are very exessive forms of this that end up in the "pizza box collecting" and are usually the ones that end up on t.v. IT IS A DISEASE, and probably not a very fun one to have.
    to ask if it is helping our hobby is a very fair question. We have all heard the comment "well, i lived through the depression..." sadly alot of these who said that are passing on, leaving behind what they thought they would use eventually. this probably in turn is causing the insurgence of barn finds and other deals that no one would think possible.
    I would like to think that everyone is just an avid collector of things, but there is a very fine line before it can become a debilitating problem not only for the hoarder but for the familys and anyone directly associated with them.
    to say that our hobby wouldnt exist is kinda a far stretch but plausible...If it werent for someone saying "I will find a use for that eventually" I myself would probably be a doctor or lawyer and have nothing to do with hot rodding!:D

5. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I'm cool with dudes"hoarding" parts as long as they let some go now and then

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

A hoarder won`t sell you somthing even if you really need it. I bought a pile of hubcaps a couple of years ago.A guy comes by my shop with a 54 Ford he bought brand new. I gave him a 54 Ford cap that was in the pile for free. He now had a spare. I think it was meant for him. The guy I got the hubcaps from was a Hoarder. It was his estate sale.

7. pushrod_jimbo

pushrod_jimbo

Im a hoarder for sure.

8. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

So your saying I need to go see Dr. Phil? Yes, I am a hoarder, according to some people. I just prefer to call my stuff.... 'uh.... 'inventory'

9. Brahm

Brahm

There is a hoarder in my area.. It's just sad. The largest single collection of Some of the most amazing cars I've ever seen or wanted with literally trees growing threw them. Every one.. I'm gonna fix it one day. Not a single one fixed we are talking 100+ ranging from Old Desotos, and dodge pickups with Hemis, Late 30's 40's 2 door coupes, many 60 and early 70 Super Sport Cars, 20-30's pickups, and tons of 50's ponatics, buicks w/straight 8d, ect, ect. All Sitting in basically California desert no rust, just getting swallowed by "Guard Trees" He's got a late 30's 2 door chevy coupe I'd kill for, and a matching Pontiac.

So my vote: Hoarding not good. Collecting good for the hobby bad for the little guy like me who can't afford to spend more then a couple grand on a roller/project.

10. thadeal4real

thadeal4real
    from FRESNO, CA

its a shame what happened to romos

11. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Keep yer eye on it dudes don't live for ever

12. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I know a hoarder near Memphis. Everything they have is gold if you try to buy something from them, but if they want to buy something of yours they think its worth pennies. They have piles of stuff just rotting away, sad actually.

13. ElTejano

ElTejano

People call me a hoarder when it comes to car parts. Even my wife asks me why I dont get rid of all my crap.

Well, when I brought my falcon home, all the parts that I had replace, I already had, no need to track anything down or go to any junk yards. Same with my 64 Nova. Parts that I have been collecting all there when I need them.

Just today my radiator started leaking at the seam where its soldered, I re-soldered it but if it had been bad, I had another one ready to drop in.

I keep spare windows, windshields, handles, you name it.

Hoard on, I say, hoard on.

14. I've been accused of hoarding model car kits, lol. There might be some truth to that. From what I see, true hoarders don't take care of what they have and often have no clue to what they have. In the old days, they were called pack rats.

Bob

15. Hoarding / Collecting are Temporary

16. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

It was permanent for some of these cars.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hoarding is what drives the price of cars up.Not goldchainers at Barret-Jackson.

17. sololobo

sololobo

I have been in the "Vintage", Second Hand business for 25 years, I went thru a hoarder stage and it is easy to slip into. As I was throwing away damaged and excess things I would remember people trying to buy that item and me saying, not yet, but you will be first when I am ready. I have a good buddy that has slipped into hoarder mode, knows it, but just can't break the habit. Piles and piles of great stuff going to ruin, damaged, etc, but just can't reach the selling it stage. It is a terrible disease, examine your habit on a regular basis and avoid the dreaded hoarder syndrome, it ain't pretty. "I am a hoarder and I will be eliminating some accumulation today!!" Kinda like "One day at a time" affirmation pledge. ~Sololobo~

18. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I know a couple of people that have TONS of junk and not one car that's even roadworthy. It just doesn't make sense to me. I always wonder why they don't sell a few things to finance the repair of a couple nice cars for themselves to ENJOY like they are supposed to be enjoyed - DRIVEN, not rotting. Sad. I know where there's a 50 Chevy Coupe customized complete that I could jab my finger through the fender, it's so rotten from sitting.

19. James427

James427
    BANNED

There have been a few hoarders in the past that I would say were benificial to the hobby. Barney Pollard comes to mind as one of them. He went around during the WWII scrap drives and bought every brass era car or rare cool car he could get his hands on and hung them by their bumpers from the rafters of many wharehouses he owned in Detroit. I heard he had 1,200 plus cars at one point. Some of the cars he saved are now the only known examples of the mark. If it were not for him ALL of them would have been crushed.

The difference is HE stored them INSIDE and took care of them. Hoarders that fill fields with cars only to sit on them while they rot need to just hurry up and die.

20. Gator_13

Gator_13

I have a buddy who is a MOPAR hoader (collector), mainly mid 60's to early 70's. He has a Dart that is perfectly finished, hemi GTX, and an RT GTX. In his spare parts he has 2 more hemi's, a couple of 440's and a host of other MOPAR parts. As you can tell, he is a MOPAR collector.

Gator

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hoarding is just a term to discribe people who lack shelving, or lack buildings large enough to house their stuff. Hello, I'm Bob and I need a pole barn.

22. vert1940

vert1940

when i was trying to finish my car i needed one piece of stainless trim.i had some stuff for sale or trade to barter with to get the piece i needed.i got a call from a man in seattle,washington that had enough trim to do ten cars.he wanted what i had for practically nothing,but the piece i needed,which he had plenty of,not for sale...he might need that someday.
    took me 2 1/2 years to find that piece of trim and it ended up being in my hometown...i don't know if he was a hoarder..but he was an asswipe

23. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

I used to be a hoarder but after shuffling 20 cars I sold all but 3. I have a friend that is a BAD hoarder. He has 40 cars in a city lot & wants to fix them all up. He works 20 hours a week for minimum wage... nine months a year.

24. 49coupe

49coupe

As has been said, hoarding/collecting both helps and hinders our hobby. For the people who store stuff properly to use later or sell at a profit - great. To the people who leave rare parts and stuff to rot outside, refuse to sell it for 20 years and then hope to get top dollar - not so good.

I'm sure everyone on here knows a few people in each category. What worries me is the fact that between land prices, environmental regulations, zoning issues, etc. and a shift towards larger city centers, it is becoming harder to keep stuff around than it used to be. Given house prices in places like Toronto, younger people can only afford to buy a condo or townhouse with very limited space. I have a large 2 car garage and a 10x10 shed and I consider myself lucky.

25. Larry T

Larry T

Ah, the weekly hoarding thread!
    Let's see,
    "Hoarding is bad because I want the stuff they have."
    "They should give me the stuff they're not gonna use, because it'll turn to dust if it sits there and I'm doing everyone a favor by putting it on the road."
    "They're a thief if they don't sell it cheap."

Other side,
    "If you want it bad enough, buy it."
    "Start your own stash."
    "Screw you, It's mine and I'll do what I want with it."
    Forgot the main one,
    "GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!" LOL

That about covers it.

Funny thing is I've got too much stuff and I've decided to sell some of it. Trouble is no one wants to give what I gave for it in the 70's or ??. So I guess I've still got it cuz it's worth more to me than anyone else. Oh well.
    Larry T

BTW, I did finally sell my aluminum wheel collection. I got $10.00 a wheel for 20 plus of them. Made a killing there.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  26. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Hoarding has always gone on, and to over diagnose these people is stupid. Hate to see trees groing through cars, but they don't belong to me. Don't really see how it alters the hobby, except it's exasperating. But it's not like it just started when they started diagnosing this stuff on TV, it's been around as long as people have been been a little lazy, or even slobs. Some folks have to deal with real issues in their lives, hoarding ain't one I can respect. But there's always enough cars to go around regardless..

27. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I believe HOARDING helps the hobby :D

We all know someone who has a stash of stuff that cannot be bought. Then the guy ( or girl ) dies and the stuff gets sold. I know a guy with 17 spilt window 63 Corvette coupes ( plus about 10 63 Corvette roadsters ) and a basement full of parts. He has sons who are into cars and I am sure they will blow thru the stash in short order when the old man takes the " dirt nap ".

I myself have been a 32 Ford guy for over 30 years. I am not going to build anymore 32 Fords so I have sold off some of my
    " DEUCE collection of parts ". Some I have owned for over 25 years. Yes ... I sold the stuff for more than I paid :D :D but if you figure in inflation, I did not make a killing.

I am changing car directions. I will keep both my Deuces but want a later model Ford or Mercury as a new project. I want something " DIFFERENT " than what I have focused on for 30 years. :)

Maybe a old pickup like this ...

[​IMG]

Or a 57 Ford like this ... I have a 406/405 HP Tri-power FE series Ford engine that would be great in it :D

[​IMG]

LOOK OUT ... hoarders of 57 Ford stuff.
    I am on the lookout !!

28. My name is Jim, I used to hoard! I've upgraded to WHOARDER and I feel much better now.
    story is Old whoarders die. young whoarders rip off old widows. and some of the treasures trickle down to collectors at swap meets. been going like this for centuries. only the pieces and prices change

29. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

I bought my '51 Ford in 1997 for $1,800.00. It had been in storage since 1967. When I told Dad, he wondered why I paid so much-- "Hell, that guy probably didn't pay more than $100.00 for that car." So I told Dad that I had actually paid $100.00 for the car and about $50.00 to $60.00 per year for storage. He had to admit it wasn't such a bad deal after all.

30. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

I just sold my '57 Custom... just like that one.