Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for you Cad-LaSalle Trans Gurus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tdesoto276, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Tdesoto276

Tdesoto276
    from Des Moines

The bearing clip on the front of my cad-lasalle side shift trans has two machine screws apparently protecting the clip from coming loose. I haven't seen this before. Is this a common modification? Is it necessary? I will need to modify my adapter to make it fit flush against the front of the case. Not a big deal, but just wondering...

Thanks in advance....

Attached Files:

2. take the screws out.

3. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I can look when I get home, but I'm not sure that's not stock. Maybe someone else will chime in.

4. mine had one on it. a well established transmission builder here told me to leave it. trouble free so far

5. Here are my lights

Attached Files:

6. F&J

F&J

Not stock.

What TOB snout/bearing retainer housing are you using...??

A stock Cad/LaS housing centers itself on the bearing and snap ring. Those screws would be in the way.

Another thing: the stock setup would have a full face gasket on the front of the trans, instead of a simple round gasket behing the TOB snout/bearing retainer. All things to keep in mind when fabbing adapters..

7. Tdesoto276

Tdesoto276
    from Des Moines

What TOB snout/bearing retainer housing are you using...??

I have a Cragar Hemi to early Ford adapter (part nos. 400/401) and a Hildebrandt Ford to Cad-LaSalle. I am not 100% sure, but I think the Hildebrandt incorporates a Ford style fork and TO bearing.

8. F&J

F&J

Here is a hamb pic of the bearing retainer/TOB snout. This part is not bolted originally, it is held in place by the bellhousing.

Sounds like you dont have one

[​IMG]

9. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

10. F&J

F&J

11. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

DESOTO: is that some sort of old mod? The 50 Olds and 37 LaS I had, did not have those screws. Just wondering if the old adapter kits needed those?[/QUOTE]

No, Not a Mod ....

All 4 of the Trannys i have & the 2 i sold had the screws.

One of the Trannys i unbolted from a never apart '41 Cad Flathead.

With The adapter you are actually supposed to remove them & bolt the adapter on before you installe the Trans.

12. F&J

F&J

Must be a west coast thing :)

Here are the two I used to have. No screw holes. 50 Olds on right, LaS in middle.

[​IMG]

13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I've had at least a dozen of these transmissions and they have all been drilled and tapped for the screw,
    you don't need the screw in place if the transmission is installed,
    but it is needed to keep the input shaft safely in place when the transmission is not bolted to a bellhousing.
    if the input shaft is let to slide out of the case you may find the needle bearings at the rear of the input shaft fall out,
    in which case you will be tearing the whole thing down to put them back in.

I leave one in.

14. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

F&J,

Your pics are a bit Fuzzy on my end... But they sure look like they have the Holes for Screws ........ Just NO Screws :D

15. TV

TV

Thats an old trick from way back. If the grove is sloppy that was done. I have 15 or 16 Cad-LaSalle 37's and side shifts. and a few olds also and 2 38- Buicks. Some of mine have screws in them.--TV

16. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

Hi sounds like you are familiar with Cad LaSalle to ext bell 331. I just picked up a motor and it had this adapter and lasalle tranny, no clutch/flywheel/bearings or t/o arm.

Can you tell me what to look for?

Thanks for any help
    Brandon

Attached Files:

17. F&J

F&J

Looks like your bell definately takes the stock Cad/LaS, and '50 Olds front bearing retainer/TOB snout. Look at the middle trans in post number 12 above; see the casted alignment "tang" on that TOB snout?...it looks like it would fit in that small bored hole on your bell.

So I would assume you'd need a Cad/LaS/50 Olds TOB also?

Arm? I don't know but likely might well be the same to be able to fit that bearing.

Best case is hope someone knows the maker of your bell, then sometimes a person here will have an old catalog that lists the correct parts without guessing.

18. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

Hey thanks F&J Yeah there are no numbers on it at all. Does anyone sell/repop that bearing retainer?

19. F&J

F&J

Not That I have heard of on hamb threads, but somewhere on hamb, someone said a certain Ford retainer can be cut down on a lathe. I have no idea how to find that post.

Used original ones are hard to find; maybe $100.

20. look up King Shift in the classifieds--pretty sure he's making them.