Register now to get rid of these ads!

"History of Hydraulics" cars in 1956 on the planet!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studhud, Jun 16, 2010.

1. studhud

studhud

Well here's some vids I found thought I would do a post with them. I did a search and don't think these have been posted before? Can we please keep this post positive and not screw it up with a bunch of worthless negativity! Maybe just maybe this a bit of info "maybe not completely accurate" but still good insight as to the fact that cars lowered "On The Planet" are traditional at least to an extent this was really a beginning of something positive!

Bill Hines, Ron Aguire "X sonic" and others way in for the OG lowriders! O-Da-Lay Vato!

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g0AnscCgKN0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rg0uagZHFak&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pw_9_YHnICU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

Dave Hitch

2. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

cool thanks for the vids..:D

3. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

aruires car wasnt the first with hydraulics.. taht car is being redone right now and will be having a full feature somewhat soon... was fully operational long before Xsonic, and was even featured in a mag prior to xsonics build..

that being said... heres whats goin in my 63 ...

Attached Files:

4. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

FFFUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKKK I've dreamt about a system like that for about 20 years.

5. russ1403

russ1403

kool,thanks for sharing,i havent seen this video.i checked youtube and it looks like there is 11 parts or more,,i did see a episode on livin the low life about hydraulics but the vid you posted seems to have more info,,thanks:)

6. Philbilly

Philbilly

Damn man, that's a kick ass set up! I would love to have that in my Merc. .

7. Local104

Local104
    from norte ca

thats a nicer set up then raymond had in the movie blvd nights:D

8. studhud

studhud

Yeah but livin the low life has hot chicks in tight pants!
    Notice also that the first cars on hydralics were kustoms and not just the x sonic!
    Dave Hitch

9. krome

krome

hydros - love em

10. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

thanks for the compliments on my setup guys...

hopefully i can find a way to have this in the car soon.. my birthday is teh goal, but thats a month and a couple days away, and im short on cash for parts, so maybe mid august is a better goal

11. big creep

big creep

yea i saw this old video in high school. funny that im seeing it again. haha

12. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

13. chaddilac

chaddilac

pretty cool!! thanks for finding them!

14. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Those videos have been posted here before a couple of times....the Merc surfaced here in the classifieds & the homie Conrad scooped it up...Also, congrats to Conrad & Andy on the coverage in the new Lowrider Magazine...

Todd, shame on you for not giving Abel his props :)

15. budd

budd

when were air bags first used in cars?

16. 1958 Barris' Ala Kart.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  17. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Crap man I have that on VHS. I picked it up new at a lowrider show in 93 or so.
    Still got it

18. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

bags were actually on the R&C dream truck in 57 maybe late 56... in the 30s there were air bags on some cars expirementally.. a factory option on GMs and fairlanes in 58 models as well

the argument about traditional all dies though because airbags until recently were not used for adjustable suspension, only to level, or to aid other springs... nothing but hydraulics did that back in the day... and those were around same time or earlier

19. studhud

studhud

Really??? looked and looked didnt see it anywhere found it on other forums but not here?
    Dave Hitch

20. pdq67

pdq67

I want to say that my Dad's new '55 Packard had electric load leveling on it way back then, so what's the deal??

pdq67

21. studhud

studhud

"Whats the deal" I dont quite get what your asking? I can tell ya that that packard along with cadillac, buicks ect offered an optional "high-low" suspension. Those suspensions get em low and back up but not really low as you are probably aware. just throwing this out there for information sake its just interviews of guys as "they" remember which isnt very accurate but its old video and is cool to see. i shoulda put what is this "1932 for barn find worth" in the title then this thread would be 20 pages long
    Dave Hitch

22. BigPoppa

BigPoppa
    from Denver

So which one was? Something Bill Hines put together? Love to see pics from the mag!

23. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Yeah Todd, dont hold back on us buddy!
    What car you talkin about?
    I know X Sonic is the 1st car to be fully coverd that ran juice, but it being the 1st to run juice is most probably wrong.
    Im guessin findin the real 1st car to be juiced its near impossible.
    Finding one that was juiced b4 X Sonic, might be easier.
    Keep us posted PLEASE!

24. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Great Videos homie!!!!

25. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

thanxs

26. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

the who was first debate can always get real interesting, as usually the first guy never gets the attention.

the videos are awesome, thanks for sharing...

-scott noteboom

27. Mires

Mires

I'm in to hear about juiced cars before Xsonic.

Call me dumb but what does "cars in 1956 on the planet" mean?

28. studhud

studhud

You lower a car enough "its on the planet!" Your not dumb maybe just a little slow! JK
    Me too people say stuff then have no back up xsonic probably wasnt the first but it was the first to get attention. I dunno someone fill us in:cool:
    Dave Hitch

29. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

BTTT! for a great thread. Those vids are great, and it would be worth watchin just to see, and hear, Bill Mullins 42 chevy troka....

By now i think it sunk pretty much in everybody about Xsonic not being the 1st car to run juice, but this thread never got updated with the physical evidence about it, so here goes
    Jim Logue '54 Kustom Ford.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My info says the car is kept garaged, its in properly good and caring hands, but resto hasnt begun yet.
    As for X-Sonic: that car, and its owner, are deff responsible for bringin hydraulics to the public, which if you ask me is something as important if not more important that the "who did it first" argument.

30. customcory

customcory

wild2mild4.jpg

This car had hand operated hydraulics on the front around 57-58 not sure of the year. There was a old white 53 Chevy Bel-Air 2 door on the cover of a Rod Custom little book that had hydraulics. All this before the X-Sonic.