Register now to get rid of these ads!

62-65 Superstock Mopars picture thread..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caseyajones, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Yes...and what a lot of people forget is that the big $$$ in those days was in match racing (NHRA back then only had 2 big meets/year - the Indy US Nationals and the Winternationals) and to get a big $$$ booking for a match race, you had to have a car that could make the headlines with big ET or Speed numbers. That meant considerably lightening the car, altering the wheelbase (way more radical than from the factory), going to injectors, and then to fuel. For years, NHRA wouldn't even allow the fuel FXers and early Funny cars at their tracks but finally relented when the crowds went to the non-sanctioned tracks that featured the match races. Winning SS class at all but the biggest meets got you a nice trophy (and good publicity for your sponsoring dealer), winning an advertised feature 2 out of 3 SS match race might get you $500 ($250 for the loser), while winning an advertised feature injected FXer or early Funny car match race could pay $5,000 - a fortune in those days.

2. 4tford

4tford

I have afew pics and a window sticker for a 64 330 dodge which shows about 4200 dollars to go SS racing back then

Attached Files:

3. Very nice !!:D

4. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Half Moon Bay, Calif................1962

More pictures of the first "Melrose Missile".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Half Moon Bay, Calif..............1962

Eliminator bracket racing. At HMB in those days, the track would let you run in an eliminator bracket after you had run for class trophies. My notes show this was the 12.00 - 12.99 bracket. $50 to the winner!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Half Moon Bay, Calif..............1963

"Melrose Missile III" a few weeks after the big win at the NHRA Winternationals.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Half Moon Bay, Calif....................1963

Pictures from the staging lanes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Half Moon Bay, Calif..................1963

Hayden Proffitt's Yeakel sponsored car at HMB to do battle with the "Missile".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Half Moon Bay, Calif...........1963

Dave Kempton chasing points with his C/SA. This was a 361ci with a 4bbl rated at 305 HP. This was not an easy combination to run as the class was full of 389 Pontiacs rated at only 303 HP. Despite having to spot them almost 30ci, Dave drove this car to the West Coast Stock points championship in 1964. A few years later, Dave won Stock Eliminator at the Winternationals with this same car, if I'm remembering correctly.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Same car in the pits @ Lodi, Calif in 1965.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. storm king

storm king

GREAT pictures, Beentherebefore, thanks for sharing!

12. At the time I bought the car, as shown in one of the pics, the bumper and scoop were missing. A little later I was able to contact Bill Stiles in PA and purchase an orig scoop and a set of Jere Stahl SS headers that I put on the car. Since I last posted on this thread, I got cold feet about selling ( to many "Keep it, Keep it"s) and decided to keep the car and put it back to the "As Raced" in 74 conditition, I still have all those items plus a few "Updates". No national history but a lot of Alaska history, I know, who in Alaska would have bought a Hemi Race car!! Actually, 4 Hemi cars went to AK, 2 64s and 2 65s. Hopefully, maybe start this fall. Have aquired a couple more pics of it at Polar Dragway in 65 when known as "Giddy Up Go" of the "Dodge Rebellion", Thanx to another Polar Dragracer I knew back then, Bill Conn, CONNMAN on here. Also found my 1/16/65 block for it that has been in storage since 74 Later Dave

13. 383man

383man
    from Md

Beentherebefore I love them pics from the era. They are awesome !
    And SuperStock63 that story of the 63 Plymouth coming to your country is one cool story. Thanks for all the cool stories and pics. :) Ron

14. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Fremont, Calif.............1964

"Melrose Missile V"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

This thread has been too idle, time to jump start it again...

Attached Files:

16. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

17. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Well, I get to be a member of the Dodge Super Stock clan now but mine is a clone:

[​IMG]

18. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

1967 ,,Polar Dragway ,,Anchorage Alaska ,,my buddy "Big Ed's" '65 Coronet ex Factory Liteweight Hemi Car ,,the "Giddy-Up-A-Go-Go" Dodge ,,we'd pulled the Hemi & put it in an Anglia A/Gasser ,,replaced the Hemi with a 426 Dual Quad ,,,Isky Cammed ,,Max Wedge to run A/MP ,,that's me in the '55 ,,Hilborn injected 301/ 4 speed runnin' D/Gas ,,this was for Street Eliminator that day ,,
    ,,[​IMG]

19. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Big Eds '65 Dodge has been completly restored back to a Hemi Race Car with the correct number Hemi ,original white color and resides in Las Vegas now ,,the owner lives in both Vegas and is a Pilot /Guide in Alaska ,,

20. storm king

storm king

Very cool stuff Connman, thanks for sharing!

21. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Thanks ,,,we had 5 (Five) Factory Lightweight '65 Hemi Super Stock Cars up there then ,,2 Plymouths and 3 Dodges ,,they kicked butt at first ,,but then ,,two Chevy Biscaines w' L-88 427's showed up ,,a '66 and a '67 ,,,and a 427 BB Mustang ,,they cleaned those Hemi's clocks ,,SO,,the hemis got pulled and put in Anglia gassers and one ,,,a Bantom Roadster A/Altered ,,the "Silly Bear Spl" which won the NHRA winter Nat'ls in Pamona ,,,
    a lot of folks think Alaska was a wilderness with nuthin' more than Eskimos & dog sleds ,,,but ,,back in the '60's ,,during the "Cold War" we had over 300,000 Military stationed up there ,,and a lot of us guys had race cars or hot rods ,,Main Street Anchorage on a Fri or Sat nite looked like a scene from American Grafitti ,,ot "Hollywood Knights" ,,it was GREAT !!!
    Polar DragWay was opened in spring of '64 ,,after that big Earth Quake we went thru in March ,,

22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I love this thread!!!!

23. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Those '65 Mopars must have been very tired or ailing if they couldn't beat Biscaynes with 427s, assuming that the Chebbies were legal SSers. The 427 Biscayne that held the (legal) NHRA record was the one that Wiley Cossey drove (the Casler Tire sponsored car), mostly at Irwindale and Orange County raceways. I think that he held the record in A/S or B/S at the time. The '65 A990 Mopars were at least one class up from that.When Chrysler came out with the '68 Hemi-Cudas and Darts, they became the new SS/A cars and everyone else got dropped down another class.

24. 63hemipolara

63hemipolara

Here's some more recent shots taken for the Mopar Action feature done on my car. Hope to see some of these rides at Carlisle in a few weeks. Still looking for a reasonably priced crossram, in the mean time mines running AWESOME!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BIG plans this winter for the siamesed bore Mega block, hehe!

quick85 likes this.
  25. M.Edell

M.Edell

BAD ASS "63 Hemipolara"!

26. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

I am in the same boat 63hemipolara, I am trying to sell stuff to get a cross ram right now.

Your cars rock dude!

Here is some more shots of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. M.Edell

M.Edell

Nice 330 Sedan!!

28. storm king

storm king

29. dashman

dashman
    from Viroqua WI

I love the Max Wedge scoops and color matched wheels! Just awesome!

Dashman's Hot Rod & Speed Parts

www.dashman.net

30. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Yes, indeed.

More of those "ugly" '62 cars please.