Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stole this from another site-check it out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46international, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Check out the inprovement! just thought this would help. You just rub in the CLR with a fine scotch bright pad.

2. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

3. I tried CLR this weekend. Picked it up at Lowes in the cleaning supply area. Worked pretty good on an old dash.

4. Its a neat idea, never thouight of it.

The question becomes can you paint over it when the time comes? This is just a question so don't read anything into it.

5. Kerry67

Kerry67

Gotta try this on areas of my dash.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You think this works well on that, use it in an old gas tank! Had a clients '31 "A" roadster in my shop last year that was restored in '94, but never really driven because nothing on the car was adjusted. In the fifteen years it sat, it had some serious rust and old gas nasties doing their thing in the tank. Filled it up with the large CLR, and another bottle of water, fifty fifty. Let it sit over night, drain it the next day through an old pair of pantyhose - holy crap! The stuff that came out was amazing! I repeted this five or six times until the mix came out clean, (reusing the CLR each time). Then refilled it and topped the tank with that and water. The inside of that thing is clean clean clean!!!

7. youve definitely got my attention.... do you have the link handy????

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Hmmmm, I say

9. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Whodathunkit!

10. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

That photo was posted on here a few weeks ago in a thread, can't recall which one.

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

12. Man, that looks great. It's too bad that too many people prefer the more fucked up version, thinking it's "cool":confused:

13. Ain't that the damn truth........I kinda think it looks like you dont have any pride in your ride,but thats just me........

14. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I think a lot of us are over that 'rat rod done wrong' look. I've seen some really great 'rat rods' lately- but a lot of others are just poorly done.

I like my ride to shine (as my gf would say) like the top of the chrysler building.

15. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

I was the one that posted that pic in the other thread, My friends tony and john (ls1wagon) told me bout the stuff at round up in 09, I found it hard to believe til I saw the pics tony posted after using it on his elco

16. so whats the deal?? just spray it on and wash it off?? killer idea

17. williebill

williebill

Amazing..that fender looks to me like there wouldn't be any paint left,surprised that the color came back...

18. Haven't tried it yet, but apparently it works good for rad flush in flatheads also.......

19. motohack

motohack
    from NorCal

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try this on an rusty 5 Gallon Jerry Can tonite. Here's a link to the manufacturers MSDS (Materiel Safety Data Sheet): http://www.jelmar.com/msds/CLR_MSDS_03C0309_3-17-09.pdf

20. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I'm with Benno. I wanna know if it's like WD40...neat but unpaintable....

21. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

no its paintable, i did it to my 62 nova daily driver when i first got it and them i decided to paint the roof, after i clr'd it and it was fine

22. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I just went out and spent about ten minutes here after I posted doing my surface rusted 56 dodge. It works. It kind of seems like just a better lubricant for steel wooling. It did get quite a bit of surface rust off. Unfortunately, I didn't have much paint underneath it.

23. Yeah, it impressed me too. Instead of the paint being gone, it was merely growing a surface rusty beard;)

24. Piewagn

Piewagn

I've used it several times in the past. Remember, it's acid based! It needs to be neutralized afterward.........

25. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Its just an acid that is pulling all the rust stains off the paint and out of the paint, I use it on bath tubs to get rust stains out, you can use it to get rid of rust and calcium stains on a lot of stuff, in a month the car will rust again and look that way again, how do you keep that from happening?

26. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I just went out and played some more. I'm not getting anywhere NEAR the results you guys got. Maybe it needs to sit longer or something.

27. I also tried this today..... It worked on the areas where yhou can see paint but my dodge is covered in some deep surface rust

28. elrobo818

elrobo818

wow thats pretty kool

29. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

I was also thinking that and possibly engines to clean up water passages too at home.

Michael