Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Found a car in the woods today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jville_hot_skater, Jun 24, 2010.

1. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

So while driving a few weeks ago over a bridge, i notice a old 30's car in the woods....today i finally found the time to go check it out.

Now i live in NC.......its not everyday you see a classic car, especially seeing one sitting in the woods rusting up. So i was pretty excited to go check it out (its my first find in the woods)

I am not going to use any parts off of it, nor do i plan on pulling it out....it has some "salvageable" parts...i live on the east coast near the emerald isle beach, so this thing has some bad rust on the bottom.

i just thought il share my find...identify it....enjoi it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. '37 - '38 Ford cabriolet

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

"some salvagable parts" ... looks like a bit more than that.

4. looks like JohnBoy Walton got lost on the way back up to the mountian.............serious I would try to get my hands on that if I were you,even if its just for yard art its a cool find

5. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

I see alot of cabriolet only parts on that thing, they are very valuable

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Of course you wouldn't, it's not yours - right??

It would be worth your time to locate the owner and make an offer, there are some rare and valuable parts there.

7. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Its a rag top ,

and look at the deck lid!

what about the firewall ?

I see a little more than nothing!

8. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

Ya, actually Jacksonville NC is a BIG marine town/base....im pretty sure the car is sitting on private military property...i wouldnt know where to start talking to someone.

9. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

ya, the pictures dont justify.....bottom of most of it is all rusted out, and the sheet metal is really THIN...i can probably take a screw driver and easily drive a hole in the sheet metal.

10. It would definatly be worth checking into.

11. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

what price would you even place on this?

12. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

id go get it if i was close, thats worth trying to put back on the road or being able to help some one out with the parts

13. '37 Ford cabriolet parts car. Someone would restore that. Start it at the book price for a parts car - $2500 - you could probably part it out for that much on eBay anyways.

Put it this way, if I found it, I'd have it home already even if I had to cart it out in pieces, and have it already posted on eBay as a project. I've seen worse stuff fixed.

14. rusty28a

rusty28a

I've seen cars in this shape here in Mid-Illinois. It's hard to wrestle with the idea that the car is there...but the sheetmetal is so thin that it really isn't. Thanks for posting pics
    Skater! Rusty

15. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I think I'm with jville_hot_skater, if you look close at pics it looks real thin, but I'm from dry mid-west Canada and am spoiled I guess....

16. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That thing would be called cherry where I come from. Definately grab it (By that I mean purchase it from the rightfull owner) and get into the hands of someone capeable of saving it.

Good luck, -Abone.

17. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

you cant be serious....i was thinking tops this thing is worth about 500..

18. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd give you 500 bucks all day long for that pile. I have drug home waaaay worse than that.

-Abone.

19. same here. I'll take 10. :D

20. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

Trust me guys, i would love to pull this thing out of the woods and put more use into it....but im definitely sure this thing is sitting on military property, im just 22yrs olds with no connection to any military guys, i wouldnt know where to start talking to someone about who the owner is.

21. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

You might get a " Please take it" reponse. You can believe I'd be asking.

Back in the late 70', my dad found a Hudson commodore 8 vert in a state forest. Asked the rangers, they were glad someone would take it for free. The crazy thing was, this car was solid. It had been rolled on it's side and had bullet holes through the floor, but a very solid car. He threw tires and a bumper on it and towed it home. Sold it shortly after... Couldn't afford that car now that's for sure.

22. what base is it by? I have contacts....

23. Just got of the phone with someone.... If you can get me a close proximity I can find out if it can be salvaged or not. We just need to know the general area and base.

24. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

what? not in good shape? ill drive down next weekend and pull it out. that thing is definitely savable!

25. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

dont talk just do!

26. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Pat, for you every thing is salvageable, you just want to measure it so you can clone it.

27. Haul it off..If someone tried to stop you..tell them you are helping clean the enviroment.They will look at you in a different light...been there ,done that

28. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

exactly! its solid enough for me to copy.

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll say this, I have photos of a young couple (not quite as young now) in the PNW carrying a whole lot less car than that through the awards ceremony line at one of the Unfinished Nationals runs when they were in Graham, Wa that turned into a pretty nice 40 Ford ragtop. That body is way more complete than what they started with.

37 Cabriolet with a rumble seat, cool.