Register now to get rid of these ads!

Goodguys Columbus - Not a Member

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bthomas67wagon, Jun 24, 2010.

1. bthomas67wagon

bthomas67wagon
    from Ohio

I quit being a Goodguys Member years ago in part to I only go to one show a year and "other reasons", but...

How can I register my car ($45) WITHOUT also paying a $35 membership fee?!?!

What is the cost of the friday night drags if you are going just to watch?

TIA.
    -Brent

2. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Good luck,I've never figured out how & why they charge that much when some only go to one event a year.I just park outside & walk in.
    Giz'

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Leave your car at home and pay admission like all the other spectators. Or.. get a swap meet space - might be a tad cheaper. Gary

4. bthomas67wagon

bthomas67wagon
    from Ohio

I guess I prolly would, but need to sell my 66 Nova, so I "really need" to park inside to get more "views".

(of course, I am still getting the floor tack welded in and Lokar shifter installed... Nothing like cutting it close !!!!)

:)

-Brent

5. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Marketing isn't cheap, I guess you have to decide if the real estate is worth that much.

I'm sure you could write a letter to the Goodguys, and ask them. I'm sure they have a better idea than us, or like it's been suggested, find out about getting a swap meet spot.

You know, you could always list it on Craigslist, that's free.

6. Kustombuick

Kustombuick

SShhhhh...Dont tell anyone, but I have gotten multiple cars in on one membership before, they dont check names to memberships, so it would save thatif you have a friend with a membership.....BUT, getting the membership gets you a pretty bitchin monthly magazine with some great cars in it done by our own World Famous KIRK!!!! That alone is worth $35 to me..Alan

7. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

At the first Bowling Green event we entered without joining Good-Guys. I don't know if that option still exist for on-site registration or not, but it was there two years ago.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

search goodguysnats.com for info on the July 9-11 show. GG offers a car corral to sell cars seperate from swap/show. see if you can just sell without joining

9. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

It`s mandatory to join for entry. If you`re selling your car then pony up for the exposure. I look at it this way. Pay the money and get in three days with your ride and cooler/snacks/lawn chairs/canopy and spouse. Not really a bad deal. I remember paying $65 to enter the Street Machine Nats in 1988. Unless you like spending $50 on food and drink every day...Join.

10. KIRK!

KIRK!

The membership gets you the best magazine in the business every month for a year.

11. I think the GG membership & magazine is worth the $$$. I also think their events are worth the registration fee.

The NSRA membership & magazine is pretty much worthless (holy shit that magazine sucks) & I'm not sure the registration fee to anything but the Nats is worth the cost.

Cough up the $$$ & enjoy the show & GG Gazette.

JH

12. Hot Rod Dirty's

Hot Rod Dirty's
    from KY

The Gazette is worth every penny

13. bthomas67wagon

bthomas67wagon
    from Ohio

For what it is worth, I have gone the last 10 or 11 of the last 13 years and paid to be a member for years and years (just to get the hat. :) ), but really didn't like the oversize mag (it falls off my lap in the bathroom and hated the newspaper ink all over my hands). I would rather pay $20-30 bucks for a mag like Rod and Custom or Kustom Rodder... but that is another topic!! :)

None the less, I spent many hours getting the 2nd half of the floor tacked in and the center hump mostly welded, so I'm feeling a LOT better about making it. Now I need to get all the rest welded, the lokar installed, all the welds protected, the seam sealer layed, underlay, carpet... (blah blah blah)

I guess I'll probably just take a long lunch next thursday and swing through the fairgrounds and register.

Thanks
    -Brent

14. aaggie

aaggie

Like most of us I only get to go to one event near me each year but the Gazette is worth the money as a source of information and inspiration. They now have it digital and I can look at it on my PC at my desk and leave the magazine in the bathroom.

I've never had the chance to attend shows like SEMA or LARS but the Goodguys event has to rank up there with them in downright fun.

15. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Get your buddy (who is a member) to buy another entry for the event...sounds easy to me...

16. 48cad

48cad

Pony up the change if you want to register your car. The magazine especially the photography is great. If everyone was such a tight-ass and tried to screw the system, we might not have any shows. It costs money and lot of work to promote and put on any show, not just a GG event.

17. im a member and been to columbus the last couple of years and have a suggestion for you right accross the street from the main gate there is allways abunch of cars parked in the various grassy areas and parking lots its like a show outside the show and im fairly certain there is no entry fee for parking over there so you can park there get the exposure you want and then walk accross the street and pay the spectator fee to see the real show

the gazette and the $5 off coupon for show entry in each issue and the new goodguys forums & classifieds and the gazette all online are worth the membership fee for me aswell

i do aggree with you about the large format for the gazette (i dont know why they dont do it like they do the yearbook small format) one would think it would be the other way around small format for the monthly gazette then have the yearbook in the large format seems it would also save on shipping for them aswell

18. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

The gazzette has down sized now and is no longer news paper quality(no more ink stains). It is more glossy magazine type paper and ink now. Kirk deserves allot of credit for greatly improving the gazzette.

19. wheels1950

wheels1950
    from PA. USA

This is the place to sell your car!
    The amount of people looking is priceless
    that's not alot of money.
    I think it would cost more than that to sell it on EBAY

20. metal man

metal man

You do not have to join to register.Columbus last year I registered but did not join and saved $20. I think if you pre-register,you have to join,but you can definately register at the event without joining.

21. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

StreetScene?

22. \\\

NO hes talkin about the GOODGUYS GAZETTE

23. 1lowf100

1lowf100
    from zanesville

i entered last year and did not join. i think i only paid like 60.00 to get in. but i have also used another guys number in the past.

24. bthomas67wagon

bthomas67wagon
    from Ohio

Well, I just swang through the fairgrounds at lunch and dropped the $75 to get a weekend pass and hopefully tonight I'll get my Powerglide shifting (No gears) and bring it down to sell.

My Powerglide issue:
    http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1409466

Could be a lot of work (HOURS putting the new ENTIRE floor in, a Lokar shifter and rebuilding the Powerglide) and money for nothing... Arrrgggg !!! :mad:

-Brent