Register now to get rid of these ads!

LARS: It Was a VERRRRYYYY Long Weekend....but WORTH IT!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Jun 22, 2010.

1. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Saw the car...pretty cool ride! Glad you were able to make it in!

2. 2002p51

2002p51

I love this shot.

Always wanted to know; how do they get cars in position like this on all that white without leaving tire marks all over the place?

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Looking good.

The only thing worse than having dipweeds asking you questions about your ride when it's clearly broken down and you're in distress, is when homeless dipweeds are surrounding you asking for change.

4. Here's a shot of it blowing the coolant...

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

When you say "rusty" coolant... is the radiator plugged up ?

If the coolant wasn't flowing... she be blowing!

5. It was great meeting you and Seret. The TLS and a hotdog is the ONLY reason I entered the "SHOW" area. It is completely amazing in person!!!! I put my pic's on my thread,but when I get home,i'll post them on here too. You must have done a great job cleaning,cause she looked top notch in the show...

6. synthsis

synthsis

holy shit, that's the kind of studio dreams are made of. Spike, we need to get together and build one like it for the East Coast.

7. synthsis

synthsis

with these usually:

[​IMG]

8. KIRK!

KIRK!

Where's the pic?

9. In the studios I have used the Go Jack Dolly's like synthsis showed, although those leave marks as well, are popular. I have also used white butcher paper to roll the car on. BUT most studios I have been in, including Source Interlink's old one, just painted the floor each time the car was placed. The build up gets to be pretty thick after years but not terrible. Fst drying while paint and a roller. And then go to town with photoshop for what got missed

10. ewt2

ewt2

One of my favorites at the show! Here's some pix I shot on Saturday...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. EXACTLY!!!

Right click... then click Properties... then look at the URL :rolleyes:

I was trying to look at the build threads the other day and that's all I saw for every picture on your threads... fix your account Mahn!!! :)

Oh... cheap and easy way to test the radiator... stick a garden hose in the upper hose connection... remove the lower hose... if the water just backs up and starts coming out the upper connection and water doesn't run out of the bottom fast or at all... she-B-plugged. Even though a H/G could create enough pressure to blow the hose off the connection... it usually doesn't.

If I really had a picture... I'd have already posted it. :D

12. KIRK!

KIRK!

They said they paint the floor once a week.

13. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

I really liked the car. Looks great in person. Great job. Love the gauge![/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

14. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

Thanks for the story Kirk. My starter wouldn't work because it was too hot and I was in Pleasanton on the way to shoot w/ DeRosa's Caddy. Same thing, people were asking me questions and wanting to take pictures......sort of wasn't in the mood to talk at that time. Funny to laugh at it now though.....

B

15. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

GREAT ADVENTURE! You'll be telling the story for years! I thought they got the tire marks out by photoshop (the traditional way)? Now when are you going to get it out to EL Mirage?

16. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kirk, are you running Excelsiors? if so how do you like them?

17. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yes, they are great so far. Coker was blowing out the bias plys a couple months ago, otherwise I couldn't afford them.

18. synthsis

synthsis

talk about a snook job for an intern. "Hey kid, its Friday, we're goin to the bar, paint this whole floor before you go home."

haha.

19. KIRK!

KIRK!

I saw a bunch of guys shooting pics while it was melting down.

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I can't believe they paint the floor when 30 seconds in photoshop will remove anything that pops up.

must be a bunch of film guys still stuck in the darkroom. car pictures should be taken outside on the road anyways... never been a fan of studio shots.

21. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Your car does look great. Looks like something Romeo might have built.

Attached Files:

22. Here's my shots....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love the gas gauge...Where's it from,Kirk?
    [​IMG]

23. Last year i had the pleasure of taking Alan Johnson's 32 roadster to that very studio and yes they used the rollers to get the car in place and actually touched up the floor with a paint roller before the shoot.
    It is a holdover of the days before Photoshop.
    I have to say that it was kinda awe inspiring to be in that studio where the legends of cars and photographers have been there.
    They have a huge poster of Gray Baskerville hanging on the wall and many of the cover shoots.
    Here is a link that shows that process, click on the green arrows and you can see the shoot as it happens.
    http://www.hotrodsonline.com/Bucket/Photoshoot/slides/Photoshoot_0001.html

I had to shoot in between and had poor lighting for my shots because I couldn't use a flash.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  24. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

two thumbs up

25. BCR

BCR

The metal work on this car is very, very nice in person. (Pics will hide a lot on a bare metal car.)

I decided not to bother you when the car spewed, I have been there before and it sucks to have a crowd around at that time.

Nice to talk to you guys and the metal is something to be proud of.

26. DRD57

DRD57

The pictures of the car look great but they don't hold a candle to seeing it in the flesh.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

I like this shot a lot, car looks "English", and I mean that in a good way. Right hand steering arm, great tire tread design, it would look at home at a hillclimb as well as on a dry lake bed. [​IMG]

28. sota

sota

Kirk,The car turn out great!!!

29. seret

seret

we are going to pop the head off tonight, and see how bad the damage is. hope to have it back on the road this weekend.

30. seret

seret

At the photo shoot they had a guest board, Kirk! and I were given a sharpie...bad idea.<p>[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]