Register now to get rid of these ads!

HYDRO-STICK or MUNCIE? In my "ugly" 55 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nitrohonkey, Jun 22, 2010.

1. I am trying to decide if I want to run my B&M Hydro-stick in my 55 chevy or one of my Muncie 4 speed transmisions. Aside from the complete hydro-stick, I have two starters an extra parts trans the belhousing but no shifter or any idea on how to adjust the pressure on the hydro-stick. The B&M trans was ran in a 40 Willys and in a 55 Chevy back in the 60's and early 70's. Anybody have some leads on parts ie. shifter, adjustment knob, and tech info? :confused:

2. Deuces

Deuces

The Muncie sounds good... :)

3. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I talked to a B&M person at one of the local shows about a hydro not too long ago. He told me that he'd never seen one, so you might save yourself a lot of trouble and go with the four speed. Besides, there's something to be said about that extra pedal. :D

4. belair

belair

Those hydros are sooooo cool. PM yorgatron (spelling) on the board here. I have one in my 55 Olds-it's a hoot. I have some buddies who ran one in a 57 Chevy sedan delivery with a 2x4 283 and 5-something gears back in the day. If you can do it-and it has been done,- I think you would never regret it.

5. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Those old hydros are sweet, but as you're finding out - it's been a Loooooooong time since they were popular enough for there to be parts or information. You may find a couple of old 'silverbacks' around that recall enough information to help you out on pressures, etc, and periodically you'll see an actual B&M shift that is HydroStick specific. Last but not least - they weight at least as much as TWO Muncies...always a consideration. I would like to note that there is nothing like driving a powerful V8 with a hipo HydroStick in it....shifted like lightning in their day....but the racing ones were just a neck-buster around town - the low speed shifts were real bone-snappers.

Muncie would most assuredly be the easy way out. The B&M would have some serious UNIQUE factor to it.

dj

6. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

3 pedals = hotrod. Got a Muncie M-22 in my 55 and woudln't even think about not having a clutch in it

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Having a Hydro-stick sounds cool, but if you aren't capable of working on them yourself, you can play hell paying to have it done, or even finding someone that can work on them at any price.

8. Deuces

Deuces

Your right! Having that extra pedal and a joy stick is more fun... :D :)

9. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

if you have not driven a car equipped with a hydrostick
    you owe it to yourself to go find a ride
    anyone near him to offer a ride?

10. Evel has a Hydrostick in his Model A.

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Dare to be different, and take a step back in time; besides, you can always go with the Muncie later if you don't care for the Hydro Stick. Just be sure and read up on the transmission, get some repair/overhaul books/service manuals, buy some of the specialty tools, and build a geometrically correct throttle pressure linkage setup. I won't go into my usual Hydro spiel, just that it was a mistake. However, I have another Hydro coming with a car I've bought. I may give them another go. Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Last I talked to A1 trans they talked me out of doing one. They are expensive to build right and wont hold alot of HP and friking heavy.. Hydros are fun to drive tho with the first to second gear change.

13. I have never been in a hydro-stick car, but 7 grand in a 5-7 chevy with a 4 speed is god damn exciting!:D

14. Anyone out there want to buy a hydro-stick???

15. teddyp

teddyp

nothing like 4 speed fun

16. 4 Speed is the only way to go in a 55!

17. I opted to keep all 3 pedals in my 55 Chevy! My father sold the hydro before I even knew it was gone...the money bought me a 36 Ford 5 window coupe body last weekend at Spokane Swap-meet!

18. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

A 4-speed hydro would be very cool. Depending on the year and model,
    they've got a first gear ratio somewhere in the 3,00 to 3.90 to 1 range
    which is one of the reasons why the old gas class racers used them Can
    you say "Holeshot" boys and girls??! The low first gear ratio would be
    perfect for getting a relatively heavy shoebox Chevy with a screaming
    small block moving too - and since the Hydro uses planetary gears, once
    you're off the line and rolling and banging shifts, unlike a Muncie with it
    sliding gears and synchros - it's almost impossible to blow a shift......and
    they don't break! :)

A guy here on the HAMB just advertised a shifter for sale.
    www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492971&highlight=hydro

Mart3406
    ===================================

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010