Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hot August Nights Comes to Long Beach Ca in 2011

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsterpu, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Attached is an article from the Press Telegram in Long Beach. Hot August Nights will be held in Long Beach in 2011. By the fact they say it is expanding to Long Beach I take that to mean this is in addition to the Reno Show.

Looks like I will be finally attending Hot August Nights.

http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_15319882

Vintage car show 'Hot August Nights' Coming to Long Beach
    By Kristopher Hanson, Staff Writer
    Posted: 06/17/2010 03:02:11 PM PDT
    LONG BEACH - America's largest celebration of classic cars and vintage rock n' roll is coming to Long Beach in 2011, bringing thousands of show cars, musicians, exhibitors and a potential multi-million boost to area merchants.

The 24-year-old event, Hot August Nights, has been drawing an average 800,000 people to Reno, Nevada, in recent years.

It expands to Long Beach for its 25th anniversary Aug. 3-6 next year, a week earlier than Reno's annual gala and with a few different themes that take advantage of the city's ocean waterfront.

Organizers expect it to far outdraw the city's largest existing event, the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, which attracts about 175,000 people each April and generates about $40 million for local hoteliers, restaurants, merchants and vendors. "It's bringing it home to Southern California, where the car culture is exceptionally huge," said Bruce Walter, CEO of Hot August Nights. "Having the Pacific, the proximity of all the events downtown, Shoreline Drive and the marina parks. It represents an entirely new dynamic for this event. We expect to draw more people over those four days than we do in Reno, but with a different twist."
    The festival includes a popular custom car auction drawing collectors from across the globe. The auction includes 1,000 vehicles priced at between $50,000 and $250,000 each.

Walter said about 90 percent of the vehicles are typically sold.
    Because local municipalities collect sales taxes at the origin of sale, the auction alone could generate tax revenues of between $7 million and $15 million, depending ultimately on car prices.

The city is also expected to benefit from more than 10,000 car owners and buyers, exhibitors, musicians, vendors and family members who stay in town during the festival.

The Long Beach Convention and Visitors Bureau, which inked the deal in recent weeks, believes the city's roughly 5,000 hotel rooms will sell out well in advance.

Events will include the auction, nightly classic car "cruises" along Shoreline Drive and Pine Avenue, craft fairs, a vintage prom night celebration and kids' displays.

CVB President Steve Goodling said Hot August Nights will "blanket our downtown with ... entertainment from the convention center and the Marina Green across Queensway Bay to the Queen Mary."

The festival is essentially a massive nostalgia-fest celebrating the music and culture of the 1950s and early to mid-1960s.
    Past headliners include the Beach Boys, Herman's Hermits, Little Richard, the Righteous Brothers, The Temptations and a score of other surf music and doo-wop performers.

Walter expects the event to surpass Reno in attendance because of the region's huge demography - Los Angeles and Orange counties are home to nearly 15 million people - and the Southland's deeply rooted car culture.
    All events will be free, and the city is coordinating with Long Beach Transit and area hotels and merchants to accommodate parking and traffic.

Six thousand cars will be registered in coming months for the event, with applications from across the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, Asia and New Zealand.

The deal signed with the Long Beach CVB includes use of the Long Beach Arena and Convention Center and significant waterfront property downtown and along Shoreline Drive.

With a lease to host the event here through at least 2016, Walter said his organization is opening an office with staff on East Ocean Boulevard.

To learn more, visit www.hotaugustnights.net or www.visitlongbeach.com.
    [email protected]

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

this is interesting

3. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

$150.00 to enter a car, everything else is free.

4. Brahm

Brahm

Huh, well shit it's a + Because I places to stay in socal, downside is i'm closer to reno.

5. Don's 55

Don's 55

Hmmm......A buck and a half to show my stuff?
    Such a deal!

6. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

$20.00 cheaper than to show yer stuff at the Reno event.

7. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Which is why I'm going to park outside the event, and the spectators will have to walk a bit further.

8. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Wow $150 to enter your car. I guess my roadster will be in the parking lot rather in the show.

9. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

Doesnt our cars make their show? shouldnt they be paying us to bring our cars? LOL thats somethin i think about when i go to shows. usually 20 buks doesnt bother me. but 150! dang!

10. dirt

dirt

There is no way in hell i'd pay 150 to put my car in a show. 40..... maybe but 150 no way!!! I'll drive the daily and go for free.

11. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Six thousand cars @ 150 a pop? 'sounds like an auto auction disguised as a "Festival"!
    I hope I'm very wrong!

" All great truths begin as blasphemies "

12. tommy v

tommy v

so thats $320.00 for both show:eek:

13. Brahm

Brahm

Where are you guys seeing (or getting) from the above that the event would take place in Both Reno & Long Beach. I know the swap meet left Reno seems like they are severing there ties. I believe by expanding they mean they are moving to long beach where they can handle larger crowds and expand the event. Not that they are adding a second location.

14. tommy v

tommy v

It expands to Long Beach for its 25th anniversary Aug. 3-6 next year, a week earlier than Reno's annual gala

15. cruzr

cruzr

150.......?? no way......... when are we going to wake up and quit paying to show our car that is the attraction for the show promotor?? without the cars they have no show. we all need to man-up and not show up............

16. tommy v

tommy v

RENO, Nev.—A Hot August Nights official says the popular northern Nevada classic car and music festival will open next year in Southern California before heading to Lake Tahoe and Reno.
    Event chief Bruce Walter says the idea is to create a progressive show offering enthusiasts a chance to cruise all the way from the Pacific Ocean to the high Sierra.

17. John Denich

John Denich

Ya that's steep, I wonder how much Lady GAGA pays to put on a concert? or Kobe pays the staples center to play basketball so everyone can watch! See where I am going with this! I am okay with 20 for a one day show or 50 for a three day show! but 150 and no reach around NO WAY!!!! Hey how does a free car show sound? I have an idea....THE CARS ARE THE SHOW...

18. cruzr

cruzr

John ........are you copying my idea..?....:D

19. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

This from an earlier thread about the Reno Hot August Nights event:

Pretty interesting to hear what others have to say about HAN. I agree, the event is almost too big. After being on the waiting list for several years, I finally got a letter recently, for registration for next years show. I was really excited until I read that the fee was $170.00 for one years registration! Holy Crap! for that kind of money I can pay for gas to go to Bonneville or California to see some COOL shows. I'll just cruise HAN this year and park for free right outside. Why pay for registering, its not like my car would win any of that BIG money they give out here to rich dudes that don't need it anyways.

20. bowtie40

bowtie40

Eh, Car clubs, car shows, Rocky has got it right... Rich guy shit. It all blows... Bowtie40

21. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

22. I thought the same thing.. just figured I was being negative. Millions of fools and there money. WOW

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

the eternal discussion-no show without cars & no real place to show cars without a promoter & a place to do it. Ask Kirk and others here that have or are putting on shows. Not as easy and cheap as one might think. I agree that HAN is too expensive. There are so many different mini shows in Reno area as part of Han what you are paying for is the big cruise, I guess.

24. Interesting questions:

• 6,000 cars in Long Beach $150 each =$900,000 (paid by November 2010)

• 6,000 cars in Reno $170 each =$1,020,000 (paid by May 2010)

• HAN is non profit operation?

• HAN CEO Mr. Walter is paid what?

• Does Mr. Walter even own classic car?

• Has anyone ever seen a tax return on this 501C corp?

• City of Long Beach taxpayers paid how much for HAN to come there?

and one more statement that I question from the HAN CEO

"Walter said about 90 percent of the vehicles are typically sold. "

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  25. I just meant WOW free for Spectators.... I am not paying that to show MY car...

26. Hmmmmmm, car show entrance or tools? Car show entrance or parts? Car show entrance or a weeks room rent in Laughin to relax?

My brain hurts, I'll be back. :rolleyes:

27. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

In my "hay-day", the mid 1960's, there were just a few BIG shows a year, all but one were indoors.....
    ......and the rest of the year?
    We went on countless "rod runs" to factory tours, picnics, museums, fairs, etc., etc.
    There were no folding chairs. There was just the coolness of the indoor shows, maybe three a year and.....going places.
    I can't even imagine going to this show as a spectator...sure, there will be a ton of variety, but..........90%+, I don't care about.

28. 32gal

32gal
    from The OC

A fool and his money shall soon part:p

29. Isn't Rendezvous 66 in San Bernardino just about the same thing? I got caught up on a commercial shoot in Reno one time during HAN, the actual show kind of sucked, it was more about cruising your car throughout the city between Reno and Sparks. There were a lot of little mini cruises happening in between. In So Cal we have so much more going on during some summer weekends you can actually go to a morning show and a late afternoon show if you wanted to and not have to pay more than 40-50 bucks if you need to put your car in the show. Some shows you can walk right in free. If remember correctly, that show in San Bernardino is about 80-90 bucks for the participant fee, but it's like 3-4 days.
    BTW this also sounds like a show that will be at the Queen Mary ala Ink and Iron style. They'll get you for everything, spectators,parking, 10 dollar beers, but of course a citys got to make money somehow.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010