Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville in 8 weeks? Will the Starliner make it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J-lopy Kid, Jun 14, 2010.

1. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

My club decided to go to Bonneville together this year; and, as such, most of us are building new cars and going to try to pull campers.
    As usual, I have procrastinated; but am now getting ready to think about starting.
    Hopefully this will provide inspiration to some; and I will learn alot as well!
    I am starting with a Starliner that I purchased a while back; minimal rust (except the trunk); dented up, with a 69' 429 and C6 already set in it.
    The camper we picked up is a 1956 Jewel 15'; with decent interior wood and somewhat functioning appliances.
    Why the 429; hell, its paid for and its got good numbers; including the ford correct part numbers stamped into the battery cable and wires for 69; I am hoping that it is all low mile inside--and not just a bomb can rebuild...

Attached Files:

2. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

Saturday:
    Got the car pressure washed, and really looked it over. Rust in the rockers, and the trunk but all in all pretty good. Did not like the motor mounts at all; somebody had taken mounts from a different car and cut away at them until 2 bolts lined up (429 has 3 per side at the block). The passenger side manifold was hitting the upper A-arm, and the starter was resting on the steering idler arm.... A piece of C channel was used for the trans, and, Lag bolts holding it into the frame...
    -Yes, I said Lag bolts like you would use in wood. I believe this cross member was for mockup.
    So, new mounts and new trans X-member; and a good and proper centering of the motor and driveshaft alignment!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  3. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

Did not get nearly as far as I wanted to today; but fabricated a battery tray similar to the original (now 16 gauge); and now the angle has changed allowing for a much larger battery. Don't have a box/pan break; wish I did; so I perforated the folds with the plasma to make it easier to bend. Mocked the radiator in for height; still need to build mounts. The radiator is much larger than stock (71 thunderbird); and required the battery to be moved into the fender a little; no problem being that the battery tray was rotten.

Yes, this will be my driver, and feature a newer motor and disc front brakes; and modern swaybars; and lowered a few inches. I also want to tow with it; as, currently, I have no vehicle to pull a car trailer if needed. I want the girlfriend to feel safe driving it; and try to get her into my hobby a little. I plan on a flake roof, and mild bellflower theme for this one.

-My period correct custom starliner will have FE power; and end up being fairly radical...

Attached Files:

4. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

So, J-lopy kid, you don't say if/how the 429 runs?! Is the tranny stock or is there a shift kit in it?
    If it was me and I had a trailer to tow, I'd probably go for a shift kit and an auxiliary transmission cooler! Bonneville in August is going to be some hot travelin'.

Good luck with the 'cleanup' and the trip!
    Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I love 60 Starliners and it looks like you have a few..Lucky guy..............

6. cool build so keep the pic's coming!

7. Awesome dude, looks like tons a fun!
    Good luck!!!!!

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

8 weeks, eh...??? Looks like you've gotten a good start...

It's OK with Ford in a Ford, keeping it all in the family, but I'd like to hear your definition of "fairly radical"...

When I think of radical, I think of chopped tops, molded bodies, bucket seats in all four corners of the interior, console, and slammed so far onto the ground the trailer hitch will be dragging and the "trailer" will sit on a rake...!!!

Good luck with it and hope you make it.

R-

9. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

roger, i think the radical custom is a different car. he's talking about mild bellflower style for this one.

it'll be interesting to see what can happen in 8 weeks. heck i am hoping to get seatbelts installed before b-ville. but i'm in massachusetts, so i only have 7 weeks...

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

One week of travel, General...??? LOL...

Radical, according to every definition I've read is: sweeping, far-reaching, drastic, major, extreme, uncompromising, fanatic, revolutionary.

There's obviously a difference between a "radical kustom" and his version of radical, that's why I want to know his definition...

R-

11. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

yeah, about a week. but we're stopping to see friends in chicago, and see some sights on the way, and take advantage of every kodak moment possible.

12. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

Looking on the outside and seeing what is still there with correct part #'s; I am Assuming that it is stock (you know what happens when assuming...) If it is stock; the car that it would have come on (69 thunderbird) would have had 15" rims with a metric equivalent tire of 235/75 15. Most of those cars with the 365 hp 429 had 2.75 - 3.08 gears.
    My starliner currently has 3.10 gears, and I also have a 2.94 pumpkin; and will run the stock starliner size metric equivalent of 205/75 14.
    I shouldn't be working that motor too much; especially considering that a Starliner is about 3800lbs; and the T-bird in the 4500 range.
    I am hoping the converter is stock; I really don't need a stall with more slippage producing heat! Stock shift kit should be fine for the little camper (I may want to upgrade if I am using it to tow heavy in the future).
    -I did buy a 6 pass auxilary cooler at the Portland swap meet however.

Run? Hell, I don't know... Gots good even compression all the way around (175+) only varying by a couple pounds... I asked the guy I got it from when I bought it (these were his dads projects); and he turned and looked me in the eye like I had offended him. He said "my dad wouldn't a put it in there if it was no good."
    -There was alot of passion behind that; and, maybe I am a sucker or full of hope; but I kind of believe it should be good....

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  13. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

General Gow got it right. This one is a mild bellflower style. The radical custom I have in my mind is for the red one visible in the back ground of the original pics. When I say radical I mean it will qualify as a radical custom per points standards; but that is for a different thread and build.
    I will, however, give a hint: The Adonis, Kirk's Starliner, and Cole Fosters are all some of my favorites; however, are all mild kustoms. Think more along the lines of My Blue Heaven combined with the Golden Indian and a Cushenberry floating dash.

The "bubble" with a temporary storage spot on the mild starliner will be used for everything else that is leftover; think show rod like the Steelsmiths, or Aaron Grotes.

14. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Nice start and having a goal helps motivate. Like you I am shooting for a 8 week build. I am trying to build a Modified roadster in time. Started last weekend building the frame for it.

15. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Hey, J-lopy kid! Sounds like you have the right stuff in there or close to it! No, I don't think you would need a stall-speed torque converter either, Not for what you are doing anyway. I'd definately go for the cooler! The shift kit is just what I'd prefer if towing, especially in the mountians, and in hot August weather.

Even if the guy you bought the car from doesn't KNOW for sure about the engine, sounds like his Dad did and his son knew about his Dad! I'd believe too!

Good luck, stop in coming or going if it's convenient ...

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

16. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

Hopefully you are making more progress than me! 2 nights have gone by, and out side of some work related overtime; I cleaned up the battery tray a little... Hopefully I will get a few hours in the shop later this week!

17. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

Hate to say this but the last i heard there was problem with the salt, may not run this year.

18. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

J-LOPY...BONNEVILLE? hell brother i don't think it will make it out of the back yard...POP.

19. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Nothing like a little positive reinforcement to keep you focused on the goal.:(

Frank

20. lorodz

lorodz

good luck hope you make the dead line

21. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

J-lopy I am like you, had Senior Management in town and had to spend time after hours with them.. I got some time in tonight to finish contouring my frame rails and finish tapering them. now i have to start making crossmembers and K members..

its hard to do this when life gets in the way.... I am taking off Friday to get some more hours in on it.

Keep plugging away. you will get it done...

22. duffman

duffman

I feel ya brother...scrambling to get my truck done in time for Bonneville too. we'll have to toast a beer to the nay-sayers when we get there. I'll be in the Montana Dodge Boys pit.

23. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

FAB32...WHERE was your positive reinforcement FABULACE?...POP.

24. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i just visited the scta page, and there's no mention of that at all...

http://www.scta-bni.org/index.html

25. Good luck! We'll see you at the bend.

26. Andy_H

Andy_H

It is going to be a mad rush to the end. Our club will have several new cars/trucks that are being built just to make the Bonneville trip. I am building a '49 GMC pickup to head down and alot of us (including J-Lopy Kid) will be pulling vintage trailers with us and be staying at the end of the road. Hope to see lots of you down there.

27. donnie

donnie
    from NC

What are you hearing?!

28. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Too much salt on the course.:eek:

29. skidsteer

skidsteer

You are definitely on the right track. Keep the pics coming.

30. donnie

donnie
    from NC

From landracing.com
    This guy went and looked at the salt this weekend

"The salt looks really good, still tacky and damp but very little standing water and we are expected to have a few hot windy days this week. Looks like it is going to be good."