Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much rust is too much?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hey_Pauly, Jun 16, 2010.

?

How much rust is ok?

Poll closed Jun 21, 2010.
  1. Lots of rust is ok with me

36 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. A little surface rust is nice

56 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. The paint has to be perfect

14 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. I want to be able to eat off the bottom of the car

23 vote(s)
    17.8%
  1. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

PAULEY...to much for WHAT?...POP.

2. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

Too much to be still considered cool.

3. bonneville is great but my roadster is now on the rack. I had to cut off the whole bottom for new sheet metal!! Rust usually picks the good stuff panels floors inners etc. It'llget ya!!

4. hot rust

hot rust

it's only too much rust if it exceeds your pocketbook/skills.

5. metalman

metalman

Maybe I'm spoiled living in the Southwest but I won't buy/ own/ build a rusty car unless it's real desireable (say, a 32 Ford) and worth the effort. Too many rust free ones around here to choose from.
    Some surface rust is ok, around here a car can sit in bare metal outside for 5/ 10 years and it will still sand off.
    I admit I don't understand the poll either, are you asking if rusty RRs are cool?

6. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

i walk through the valley of rust , i fear no evil cause iam the keeper of rust .

Attached Files:

7. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I think the op is talking about how much rust on a driver, I say no holes bigger than a quarter anywhere on the paint, and all holes below the knee.

Surface rust is ok "all over" (kinda) the car, but holes or "flaky biscuit" patches don't make it.

A driver is a driver, but if I am fixing the car all of the rust will be going.

8. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

i named my first born rusty. She is still mad as hell.

9. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. Some people sandblast and coat EVERYTHING! Some don't give a shit, and their car (with a lot of rust) don't suffer to any degree worth the price of a hill of beans. Just today I was under a '41 ford that looked like the frame and underside has never had any paint on it. That makes it over seventy years old. Seventy years from now it'll still be driving around, unless somebody subframes it or something.............................yatta, yatta, ...........

10. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I think it could be fixed? Hell the rockers are gone too! With a little patience it will get done.[​IMG]

11. nwaringa

nwaringa

Holy crap....That car is trying to devour a perfectly good fence post hole.

12. I've been play with and building hot rods a long time,,and I learned many years ago to get the best body you can for the amount of money your spending.

The more time you spend repairing the more money it's gonna cost in the long run,,so I prefer no rust.

Here is a sample of what was done,,,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After installing 103 patch panels in our "Ranch Wagon",,I don't ever want another rusty car. HRP

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  13. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

LOL! Yeah it's all got to come out from the firewall to the back seat.

14. 6berry

6berry

x2 to everything he said!

15. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

Looks like there are some rust lovers on the HAMB. :)

16. nail-head

nail-head

No rust.

Do I have rust on my driver? Yep. Will it be gone as soon as I can afford the paint and body work? Yep. While I had the engine out for the rebuild, I treated all the rust in the engine bay with POR-15. While I had the interior stripped out to re-wire the car, I treated all the rust with POR-15. When I had the trunk stripped down to replace the insulation, carpet, and trunk liner, I treated all the rust with POR-15. I'm slowly making my way around the car. It's not too bad, for what was originally a Florida car.

17. 49coupe

49coupe

There's a guy in Germany trying to bring this '50 Ford fordor back to life. Pretty ambitious project.....

Attached Files:

18. Mine's got a little rust, but I think I can still save it!-MIKE:eek::D

[​IMG]

19. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

Wow I feel better about my project now.

20. Any is to much for your good car...a rusty winter beater is like wearing a badge of honor. Any rust on your "good car" is a stain on your integrity..IMHO.
    My 34 before and after.

Attached Files:

21. chevyshack

chevyshack

Im originaly from rust belt northeast ohio. My brother bought a used grand am about 3 months before he moved to virginia. Looked great to us but after he got there a brake line broke and he took it to a garage there. They refused to touch it. Said the car was too rusty and they might brake more lines. I took a weekend to drive down there and fixed it in about an hour. I just replaced about a foot of bad line. It wasnt that rusty under there.

22. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

This is too much-

[​IMG]

23. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

IS IT THO?

I know theres a lot missing, and perhaps it was a joke. but, whats there, if its not disintigrating, could be restored, rite?

24. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

If your wife or girlfriend was on the street givin up your "goodies" how much of that would be too much

25. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

People in a shop, using the 'rust factor' as an excuse to avoid doing a repair? That's funny!:D

26. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

It's not so much that us rodders in the rust belt prefer rust, it's that we don't have a choice with our climate & states salting/snow removal techniques. Of course we could drive to the dry western climate but to much of us it can be a 2000 trip which I've done several times. It just boils down to what is available and how good a body that your $$$ can buy.

27. it's your car, and I'm not going to tell you what to do.

28. joel torres

joel torres

i was scared of rust now i only hate cutting it out and replacing it but not scared of it at all
    [​IMG]

29. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

Rust sucks. I'm on it as soon as I see it.