Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway Parts Recall

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HD74, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HD74

HD74

[​IMG]
    I got a call Thursday from Speedway Motors, wanting back the Tie Rod Drops they sold me a more than a couple months ago. Anyone else get the call or know what this is all about?

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I bet the stud shears off at the base.

3. butch27

butch27

My Buddy just had a radius rod clevis break Thursday night!!

4. merf

merf
    from new joisey

Yeah they called me too.Just said they had a problem with them and would give me a refund and send a pickup label. Sounds like the're doing the right thing.

5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

It's the right thing for all parties involved. The customer avoids monetary expenditure for defective parts and avoids possible severe injury, and Speedway avoids lawsuits as a result.

There is something to be said for just not selling bad parts in the first place. I think someone on here called Speedway "the Wal-Mart of the hot rod world". Sounds about right

6. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Yea, they ought not to sell chinsy made stuff in the first place. That might save them headaches all the way around.

7. moefuzz

moefuzz

It sounds like the off shore melted down toyotas are not making it thru the casting stage with any kind of quality intact.
    Hopefully, the speedway asian crap wasn't responsible for killing somebody and the recall isn't based on a hotrod flying across the center line and slamming into a minivan full of kids. But honestly, I wouldn't expect anything less than that from speedway motors and their lower than low quality asian manufacturers.

jmho

8. metalshapes

metalshapes

Loosing your steering is no fun.

A buddy of mine used the wrong grade and size bolts in the steeringarms of his racecar.
    And later sold the car to another buddy of mine.

I was on the track in it, hanging the tail out when the outside wheel steeringarm fell off.

And bounced off the guardrail pretty good....

I'd gladly send those parts back to them, if they ask for it.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

WTF does it take to get you guys to give Speedway some credibility? What a bunch of assholes you are. They do the 'right thing' and they are criticized for it..........they don't do the right thing............you would THEN be in a position to justifiably criticze them.

That said, it doesn't take the proverbial 'Rocket Scientist' to see these parts are going to be under a LOT of stress in many applications. If I were going to critcize Speedway about this it would be for selling these things at all, even if made to NASA standards. And next, to question a rodder's choice of using them...........

You know, may Speedy Bill should just fold his tent and retire............would THAT make you happy?

Ray

10. gotta agree,This is a stand-up postion for them to take............I understand reaming them for the shit ole speedy pulls,however I gotta give them props for this move...........lightenup guys

11. Master of None

Master of None

Just curious, was it the parts that broke or the fact the wrong hardware used for mounting was used?

12. 94hoghead

94hoghead

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

Soft bolts, wrong size ( metric instead of fine thread shoulder bolts, with matching nuts ), so the play raised the stresses untill the bolts sheared off.

Edit.

Nothing to do with the Speedway parts.

Except that I can tell you from personal experience that if a wheel suddenly turns into a completely different directon, it can sort of mess up your day...

14. Master of None

Master of None

Were those the bolts in the kit? Just wondering there is a lot of guys at the local track that run a ton of speedway stuff.

15. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

Its not just Speedy, its all over. I built VWs back in the 80s and early 90s and every time you bought a part you had to modify it before you could use it. Its getting harder and harder to by USA parts anymore. The best way is swap meets and junk yards to be sure to get quality. You got to mod it or rebuild it anyway. Speedy gave a heads up.

16. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Tie rod drops of any kind scare the hell out of me. I would think there is a better solution, like a properly built dropped tie rod.

17. metalshapes

metalshapes

No.

Nothing to do with Speedway.

Sorry for the confusion...

18. Master of None

Master of None

oK good,the reason I was asking is because I'm a volunteer fireman, and we help out at the track, it's just one less thing for me to look for.Some of their stuff is damn crude.

19. i heard that speedy took all the super 97s off the shelf aswell because of how bad they were leaking, i could be wrong but i believe a pretty bad fire was the cause of this.

this supposedly came from an employee too.

20. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Over fifty years buying Speedway items. Not my only source, but quite a few bits and pieces. Never had a problem with Speedway. Yes, sometimes an items would crap out, but once I reported the problem, the replacement was in my hands super fast. So, to be fair, I have to admit that EVERY seller eventually has an issue with something they sell. The proper way to evaluate their service is how do they handle a problem? Speedway has always stood by their sales. Just my humble opinion.

21. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Speedway makes and sells a lot of crap parts that can literally put people's lives in danger. If they haven't killed anyone yet it's a miracle. Plus they rip off other company's designs and sell inferior copies that are made oversees. You're entitled to your own opinion, but to me and a lot of other people, they're not a reputable company.

22. Clik

Clik

Speedway is doing the right thing by me. I bought the Straight Axle Gasser Front Axle Kit and the steering arms wouldn't bolt up. Speedway looked into it and found a difference in the newer spindles versus the older spindles. They appoligized more than once and promissed to machine a new set of steering arms for me the same day. They said they would make sure to correct the problem so that others wouldn't likewise be affected. Speedway has always been prompt in shipping and very helpful with their tech advice.

I always use Grade 8 bolts on anything where safety is involved. But even then, you never know. A few years ago NASA was having problems with Grade 8 bolts that had been bootlegged and were really less than a five.

23. Ditto that- They must be doing something right to stay in business that long- Same goes for Harbor Freight. Bottom line is you get what you pay for and doing your research first,

24. Speedway motors does a great job!

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Strong words against Speedway.........and your proof of these allegations is..................???? Rumor, innuendo, 'opinion'.........??? Were the supposedly 'ripped off' designs actually originals, patented, copyrighted or otherwise protected from being in the public domain ??? Which parts, exactly, are "crap parts that can literally put people's live's in danger" ? Inquiring minds want to know.

Ray

26. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Ray,

Respectfully, Speedway did rip off Fentons from Patrick's. Although technically "legal", it was underhanded and they do make them overseas now. Patrick's is still allowed to make the real ones here in the USA. This isn't the first piece Speedway has ripped off and farmed out overseas. Do a search here or just take a look at their catalog.

27. I give them credit for calling all of you that had problem with these parts. I bought a lot of parts from them and I have no issues. It is always easier to point the finger and not looking at what they trying to do.

Frenchy

28. moefuzz

moefuzz

Ray,
    If you really "want to know", ask Limey Steve (at Limeworks) or Clive Prew (at Stromberg 97)
    about their business dealings with speedy bill.

And if you need more proof, why not ask speedy bill about the patent on
    the new speedy bill Fenton Headers.
    Cuz that patent was finagled from the person who has cast Fenton headers for yeeeeears,

-It turns out that Speedy bill found out that the patent hadn't been renewed one year and Then,
    Tada! Bill became the new Fenton Header Owner with a single
    CEASE AND DESIST order.

Do you want to know what the real kicker was????

Bill 'acquired' sets of every one of Patricks 'Fenton Headers' and sent them all to china
    for reverse engineering while he was simultaneously filling in all the blanks
    on a renewal form for the copyright of the Fenton brand name.

It's just my humble opinion but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that bill phoned Patrick
    and asked Patrick to send him 'Free' sample copies of every style of header Patrick made, sorta like:

"Well Patrick, if your headers are as good as you say, maybe I will include them
    in my new Speedway catalog this year". ...
    ...At which point Patrick, (Just like Limey Steve) would have thought....
    "Man, If I could get my parts listed in Speedways Huge Catalog,.
    I might really start to produce and sell a lot more products to hotrodders,
    and then maybe I could afford to put that addition onto the shop just like I've always wanted to".....

...And That's about when Speedy bill served papers on Patrick.

----------------

So Fentons are now being made off shore just like Stromberg 97's,
    just like the stolen Limeworks Steering columns/drops and just like 1000 other finagled designs.

-Stolen property rights and design, Limeworks steering columns and steering drops etc.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431410

-Cheap speedway copy of Clive Prew's Excellent New Stromberg 97's:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465876

Stolen Property rights and finagled patent ownership Re: Patrick at Fenton Headers:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431072

Ray,
    If that isn't enough, just poke thru speedways catalog and see how many products
    are an exact copy of another American companies original design.

I have had it with speedy bill, he has pulled a lot of "fast ones" on
    many decent businessmen and has
    Put Many Good American Speed Shops Out Of Business.

And that's (not?) just my humble opinion.

------------------

Yes, speedy bill certainly is
    "doing something right", isn't he...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.