Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many HAMBers live down a dirt road?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt49, Jun 17, 2010.

1. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I wet out and took some pictures of the driveway, road and some of the view today. The fourth picture is the road and the last two are the driveway. The driveway sure looks different without two feet of snow in it doesn't it? One way in and one way out. Nobody drives by and coats everything with dust though.

Attached Files:

2. I used to live down a dirt road, but man it was a bitch pulling my cars outta the ditches all the time!
    I heard of a guy in SoCal however that has his own dragstrip and landing course for planes in his "backyard".
    Needless to say he own's a few race cars and planes!!

3. chopt49

chopt49

Nice land...thanks for posting the pictures... how long of a drive into town for grub and what-nots?

4. Two miles of calachie, dirt road, some of it a little bit rough(right past the sign that says "nowhere":rolleyes:)thats after driving a hour north of Austin....makes dealing with the cars a litte harder....But WORTH IT:D. My ol cars never would pass for "show cars" anyway....hahaha

Attached Files:

5. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Once I get to the highway town is 2 1/2 miles away.

6. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I grew up on a gravel road. My parents live about 2 and a half miles off of the nearest paved road. My old place was on a gravel road about a mile from pavement. The place I live now is on pavement but it is a short mile drive to hit the gravel back roads. I can drive for miles and not see a house. A few pictures of my dirt road adventures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. amitygravel

amitygravel

Not a on a dirt road, but gravel. I think you can guess the name of it. Seems like 70 % of the roads in our county that aren't U.S 50 or IL 130 are gravel and even a few dirt roads. Dust is the big drawback or busted windshields from meeting some a-hole driving like hell. The one nice thing is you can always hear someone coming down your road.

8. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Dust is no problem.......Isn't that why they invented motor oil ?

9. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1.8 miles either way to the pavement on gravel for me. Livin in the middle of nowhere has its advantages though. More than 40 acres means no building codes, permits or inspections here. Just remember, if you are going left hard enough, you'll find yourself turning right.

10. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I love your car trailer. That's better than the time my buddy towed a 57 Chevy dump truck over thirty miles home from a farm auction with the front wheels on a windrower trailer. They look like a giant size car toter only they are about 12 feet wide so you can drive the front drive wheels of your self propelled windrower on it and tow it from farm to farm.

11. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I've lived on gravel roads all but 3 of my 61 years on this planet. The only thing on dirt if you own a car or truck with fenders and no inside liners ( like my 54F100 ) undercoat the fenders with bedliner it will save you stars in your fenders paint job.

jim h

12. dartracer

dartracer

I live 7 miles down a dirt road. I just take it real easy, and hit the car wash as soon as I can.

13. chopt49

chopt49

7 miles, now that's a trek on the dirt :). I can only assume you have a lot privacy once you get home.

14. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

Looks a lot like the area east of Wausau where I grew up. The house in the pic with the Packard looks familur.

Michael:cool:

15. wolfepak47

wolfepak47
    from Delta Ohio

I live in the woods a half mile from pavement. After it rains I have mud for a few days, so the roadster gets trips to the car wash on the way to most anywhere. I built it to drive and I love my hideout in the woods, so, as the song goes, "... it's not havin' what you want, it's wantin' what what you got..." Forget the trailers, cars get dirty if you drive 'em.

16. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Warren's place is definitely "Off the main road". Wonderful place, we love it.

17. I have roads and homesteads to teh East of me that are 40 miles off the paved road.

18. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

http://youtu.be/hnjP_oURGoc

Wondered at first about living on a dirt (sand) road....
    Now I would not change it for the world...