Register now to get rid of these ads!

May be OT, but not sure. Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vintage_Vixen, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Vintage_Vixen

Vintage_Vixen

Okay folks... I came across this Rambler Wagon at a show, and I've never seen one before, but I love it. I couldn't find anyone to talk to about it, so I bring it here. I've been told that it's a 58 or 59, but I want to know for sure. What I need help with:

What year is it!?!?!
    [​IMG]

Thanks ahead of time for any help. =)

2. It's a '58 or '59. The grilles are pretty similar, I go by the serial number to be sure which year - I have one and I'm not even 100% sure which year it is.

3. It's certainly a nice one. I can understand why you would like it.........Don.

4. Vintage_Vixen

Vintage_Vixen

Hmmm.... well at least it's narrowed down to two years, as opposed to a decade of automobile styling! Here's the front end, just for fun.
    [​IMG]

Don... Up until Saturday's cruise, I never knew Rambler had a wagon. lol This is definitely the coolest body design for a wagon... It's got fins... AND a luggage rack? How awesome is that!!! =) =)

5. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Its Joe Dirts parents car

6. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Here are a couple of pages from my "Car Spotter's Guide" to show the two years of Ramblers.
    Look at the side trim between the '58 and '59 wagons.

Attached Files:

7. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

Sometimes the year is cast into the plastic tail light lenses.

8. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

What Rambler? I cant get past his avatar.

9. codeblu

codeblu

Sweet wagon nonetheless...

10. flynstone

flynstone

some of those wagons the roof slid back......................way cool

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My motherinlaw had one that same model when Jean and I got married. Pretty solid old cars.

12. That's her avatar by the way and it is a sweet ride too.

13. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

14. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

That was Studeabaker in 63. Ran for only like a year or two.

15. dutched32

dutched32

16. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

It's a 1959 Rambler Cross Country station wagon not the Ambassador[SIZE=-1].

I hope this helps. It's a really nice looking car.
    [/SIZE]

17. Vintage_Vixen

Vintage_Vixen

Just for the record... that's me in the avatar! :eek: hehehe

That is super cool! I want to find one.... hmmm....

Yes, it helps a lot, thank you so much!

Thanks Ed, it's good to know you've got my back even after I kicked your ass in the mud. :D

18. hubcap

hubcap
    from phx

Vix, I know where a Studabaker wagon with the sliding roof is for sale. PM me if you want his number. It's in Cordes Junction AZ. No rust I believe.

19. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

That wagon is gorgeous. They really knew how to dress the cars up back in that era. Even the Rambler wagons were good looking.

:cool:

20. Ok I hate to do this but let's see who on the bottom in this picture hhhmmm

Attached Files:

21. Vintage_Vixen

Vintage_Vixen

HAHAHAHAHA Don't lie... you didn't hate to post those pictures.... you love every second of it. :)

22. yes...at last count there were two sitting off in the woods....not easy to get out...didn't know they were loved that much....this coming from a Studie lover...

23. tomslik

tomslik

be carfull what you ask for.
    i found a black one stashed under a bush (i can hear it all now) and i WILL be checking into it....

hmmm, i've got a 304/727 package under the bench....

24. bonesy

bonesy

"That's why Pa named you Joe Dirt...."

25. Hahaha yeah I've been waiting for the rite time for them and now looked good enough

26. I see one of those rambler wagons every wensday nite its parked in the street in long island city that's queens ny. I have never seen one in red only black the red makes it look cool the black ones always look crappy. But there is a lot of stainless on them. You would look cool in that wagon. But you know you would look good in any ride. Hahaha

27. I confirmed that the OP is right, '58 or '59, because I own one myself. None of my books show side trim differences, 58-59 have the same taillights, and 58-60 can appear identical from the front.

I didn't however waste bandwidth to be the pot calling the kettle black. I mean if you want to make an ass of yourself, it's a free country I guess, but it looks pretty childish to me, and it's a waste of bandwidth.

These came in quite a variety of factory color combos, I've seen clunkers rotting in everything from plain dark blue to pink with a white inset in the trim. Mine is gold with white inset and top. When I was 12, the local Fire Department hacked up one that was all grey with tri-tone plaid seat inserts. I remember one that looked pretty sharp that was white with a red insert and top, too. The big thing on these is they're unibody and there are no repro parts, if you buy one, look the frame over good - rot isn't the end of the world, but you have to fabricate replacement parts. The engine compartment is on the narrow side, too, with big strut towers, but they did come factory with a V8 optional so it's possible to get one in there. The same basic body shell was used from '56 to '62. Even used parts aren't easy because these are the Hyundai of their day - once they were old they didn't have a lot of value, so most yards didn't keep them around, the only place I found any quantity of them here was a place that never crushed anything.

I suspect you could drop one over the frame and floors from a mid-80s GM I think G-body - Monte Carlo, Gran Prix and the like - the wheelbase is the same and the track is about the same - but in the salt belt it's tough to find even one of those that's any good.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  28. Vintage_Vixen

Vintage_Vixen

IF I was to not be so poor and I could afford something to toy with, I would be after a truck... maybe a 56 or 57 Chevy. But unfortunately nothing like this is in the finances right now. Maybe someday I won't be poor anymore! But I would and do entertain all possibilities of future projects! hehehe

Thanks sweetheart.... you're too kind. haha

29. 1963 Studebaker Wagonaire..........

[​IMG]

30. Vintage_Vixen

Vintage_Vixen

Okay, you can't argue with this... this is a bad ass concept, even if it is a wagon... being that a lot of times people see the wagon as the ultimate "family car". This was revolutionary in design for it's time. Thank you for sharing this! =)