Register now to get rid of these ads!

WIW? 62 Impala (yes there are pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aceuh, Jun 16, 2010.

1. aceuh

aceuh

First off I understand that it's only worth what someone is willing to pay... If you don't have anything to contribute aside from a comment like that...you're really not helping.

So...I've been kinda shopping around for another "BIG" car. I sold my 64 Impala back before Thanksgiving during a moment of weakness and have been missing it ever since. Earlier this afternoon I'm on the phone with a buddy and he mentions that a neighbor down the road has just rolled a 62 Impala out of his shed. Said he'd forgotten about him having it but he'd owned it a long time. He tells me that he'll call the guy and make the inquiry concerning the status of the car... Ten minutes later he calls me back and asks how fast can I get there...it's for sale.

We scoot on over and get chatting up the owner. The car was purchased by his mother-in-law when it was nearly new. He ended up with the car 15yrs ago or so and wanted to fix it up/restore it. Never got around to it...ran when parked 10 yrs ago. Of course he wants us to "make him an offer".

Factory black car with one very old repaint (great patina...if you're in to that).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Small block (presumed 283) 2 barrel with a powerglide trans. Engine turned when we turned the fan.

[​IMG]

Showing 8K, from the condition of the car we're assuming its 108K.

[​IMG]

uncut dash.

[​IMG]

underdash unit.

[​IMG]

Red seats under the black covers.

[​IMG]

Great headliner.

[​IMG]

Solid trunkpan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear body mounts look good.

[​IMG]

Door bottoms look good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I could see of the floorpans look good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rust? The worst I could find was the beginnings of some on the back side of the leading edge of the hood.

[​IMG]

And the passenger side front fender.

[​IMG]

This car was last tagged in 82 and has always been kept in the dry. The owner said he drug it out a week or so back to clean it up and to see if he could sell it. He acted like nobody has seen it yet but us. He did mention that two of the wheels were locked up on it when he drug it out. He does have the title and all of the sales documents/manuals.

If it was mine....I'd add disc brakes to the front and a dual resevoir master cylinder, get the A/C going, some new pinner whites and drive the devil out of it.

So...Any thoughts as to what would be a "fair" value for this car as it sits?

[​IMG]

Thanks guys!

2. Thats a great looking `62. Down here in Mississippi, you wont find any that solid, straight and complete. Prices down here are kinda high too, but I would say 2500-3500 would be a good price.

3. big creep

big creep

no more than 3 grand! it good, but it does need work like all cars that sit for a long time.

4. F&J

F&J

By the way, those fender emblems came with the 283 only

5. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Well, here in West Virginia , Impalas are very sought after , and that car is a real solid car (a rare find here with minimal rust) documentation is a good thing , and a complete , unmolested 2 dr hardtop is rarely found in such condition on the east coast , so , taking all that into account , 3-3500 , possibly mabye even 4 grand isnt out of the question.:D

6. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Thats a nice unmolested Impala, 3k would be good , does it turn over?

all the trim bits are expensive and its complete in and out. The rust that shows is an easy fix, But it.

7. Old Cars Report Magazine (used to be Old Cars Price Guide) August 2010:

#6 (parts car) $1400
    #5 (in need of complete restoration) $4200
    #4 (driver that needs work/redoing) $7000
    #3 (average car show car, not perfect) $15,570
    #2 (almost perfect, as good as new) $24,500
    #1 (better than new, a 100 point show car) $35,000

Add 25% for SS option - add 15% for Power-Pak and dual exhaust - add 15% for A/C - add 50% for 409 option - deduct 10% for 6-cyl option

Looks like a #4 to me, deduct about $1000 to account for a complete brake job, tires, and either a replacement gas tank or a boil out and new fuel lines. And that assumes it will run with little more than an oil change and a basic tune-up. But it's not so bad it really needs a complete restoration just yet.

Your milage - and opinions - may vary.

8. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

it's not gonna take much to get it on the road just the way it is. whats it worth to you?

9. cheveey57

cheveey57

Hell, a Hardtop with little rust, offer $2,000 but don't go over $3,500. It is a nice candidate for a resto.........

10. lorodz

lorodz

sweet hardtop ...

11. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

i'd give him $3k for it. it would already be sitting in the driveway.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  12. jonly

jonly

whatever you're going to give, give it and get it off that grass. looks like it hasn't been there long though.

I'd give 3k without thinking twice as well.

13. 454navyss

454navyss

ask him what he is expecting to get for the car, he may want less than you think you should offer him. i'd say about $3k is about right for the condition of the car and how long it has sat untouched

14. aceuh

aceuh

I appreciate all the insight guys. Let me say that I've looked at a LOT of cars in the last several months, in person and online. I paid 3K for my 64 2dr hardtop and it ran and drove great. This 62 has a much nicer body but it hasn't ran in 10yrs and the interior isn't as nice as my 64. As I walked around the car 3K was the number that kept going through my head....maybe 3500. The gent that I rode over there with has known this cars owner for years. After much hemming and hawwing and dancing around my buddy finally gets him to tell us what he'd "like" to see out of the car. He said he'd like to see 6-8K out of it. My first thought was that I'd have to be able to drive it home and just tag/insure it for that kind of cash...but maybe I'm a cheap bastard.

Supposedly he's thinking about running it on Ebay and he's already spoken with a local classic/muscle car dealer of sorts who wants to come look at it. I might have my buddy make him a standing offer of 3500...If he can get more out of it then that, I think he'll be doing good.

15. 454navyss

454navyss

if he puts it on ebay and gets the word out to a lot of people someone will more than likely show up and give more than $3500 for it because it is a straight, original, unmolested car but he is going to have to wait. good luck

16. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

It is straight, and being black and red means alot. It's not a SS but $4500 would be a good number. I got $2500 out of '62 rust bucket not to long ago. I think you will be kickin yourself for letting that one get away. I know I would.

You gotta get some brakes on there though. Stock '62 brakes suck.

Kevin

17. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

well i bet the price went up since he knows you want it real bad, i mean shit your crawling under his car taking 50 pics while he was standing there.

18. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Thats kool & a fairly solid car....But he's dreaming with a price tag of 6-8grand...Still a very kool lil car....

19. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Who said anything about 6-8k?

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I don't see the pictures, but it sounds to me to be a complete original unmolested car that will drive with minimal expenditure of time and money. $3500.00 would be cheap, even in todays economy.

of course I'm here in sunny California, where there are 10 potential buyers for every 1 buyer in Georgia. selling cars for high dollar is a bit easier here.

21. 454navyss

454navyss

post #14, OP said the seller would like to see $6-8K for the car

22. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

i can safely say he can get $3-4500 for it... as it sits.. id pay up to $4k for it as is i would say

$5-8k if he spends a lil money and gets it driving and runnin.. EASY

remember, its a solid 62, to a lotta people thats a dream car.. definetely the most money from 62-64

23. kgriff

kgriff
    from CA

If I could park that car in my driveway for <$5K I'd be feeling pretty good, but then again I get a little silly around the big 62 Chevys. If he gets it drivable he should have no problem getting at least $7K, I would think. Hope you can work something out with the guy. Good luck and please keep us posted on what happens to the car.

24. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

6 to 8 k no way thats for one you can get in inspect and drive to cruise night 3 k tops its going to need some midnite oil burnt to be road ready

25. I agree with the 3000-3,500 number, but that's only if the clothes pins come with!

26. TexasDart

TexasDart

I know where a really nice 64 SS Impalas is in MO for 8K, AC car, white (new paint) black interior. It does not have the original motor though..it's a 350/350....but boy does it look good. Course a 62 will bring more money. But I'm still wanting the 64...but my wanting and pocket book doesn't match...:)

27. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

no way 6-8k for that one, 3k is strong, but tell him good luck, i want to watch that one on ebay, post a link here if he lists it ok?

28. aceuh

aceuh

I don't "want it real bad" I just asked if it was OK if I took some pictures to show some people to get a better feel of what it's worth.

If it goes to ebay and pulls 8K...good for him. He's not going to collect it from me. My budget has a 10K ceiling...I can't give that kind of money and make it like I want it and still come in to the good financialy.

I won't lose any sleep if I have to walk away and it ends up in someone elses garage. I've owned a lot of cars in my life and the key to not overpaying is being able to walk away when it just doesn't feel right. There's to many cars out there that have been purchased with great dreams and ambitions...only to end up laying idle due to a lack of funds, skill or motivation.

Sincere thanks for all the input and feedback guys!

29. it looks to be a decent "needs restored" vehicle and based on that it's your money and i can tell you their is a tons of stuff for sale out their. if you put a wanted ad in classifieds you might find what you want in your price range. i just got offered a vehicle for 50% of purchase price because a guys widow has no use for vehicle and at the offering price its a ton of dough.

30. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

If it's straight that's a $4500 car all day long here in the Rust Belt. I sold my '62 SS 283/PG for $3500 a few years ago. It was a good driver with a perfect frame some rust around the body mounts and bondo in the lower front fenders. It needed most of the chrome repaired, replated or replaced and both 1/4's would make a sailor seasick looking down them.

[​IMG]