Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spraying Flat clear over a Hot Rod Flatz?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ELDANGEROSO, Jun 16, 2010.

1. ELDANGEROSO

ELDANGEROSO

Just a quick question for all you paint guys. I just bought 2 gal of Hot Rod Flatz O.D green. I'm not really sure if the paint is single stage or what, cause I don't know shit about paint. I tried looking at there tech sheet and says nothing about it being single stage, so maybe its not. I just know that whats mixed in the paint gives the low shine, satin look. My question is I would like to get a gallon or so of there flat clear to give my paint more depth and more of the satin look and a little more added protection. Would I run into any problems with this plan? After I spray there flat clear do I need to wet sand it after its done? If so, what should I be carefull to do and not to do?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  2. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I'm actually glad this subject has come up. Not long ago after doing major custom and body work on my wifes 54 Ford i sprayed the car with Hot Rod Flatz mint green. The paint lays on ok but has a defect in my opinion. The Hot Rod Flatz material is extremely porous therefor when anything gets on the product it adheses to it terribly. You cannot even get finger prints on it! The only solution is to clear coat this which sort of defeats the purpose unless one choses a flat based clear. Again, it looks good - but it doesn't like any grease,dirt,finger prints, etc. My 2 cent , Axle

Attached Files:

3. ELDANGEROSO

ELDANGEROSO

Bump, Just looking for some input...Anybody?

4. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

paint them shiny ... I was going back and forth on my car and then I just said to my self what do you want a car some one would say hmm that could be a cool paint job or do you want people to ask you who painted it and where you got the color? Its really what you want. the flat colors are really cool but you cant beat a good looking paint job

5. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

my car

Attached Files:

6. ELDANGEROSO

ELDANGEROSO

Well seeing that I'm already commited to the flatz cause I've already bought 2 gal it, going shiny is not an option. Yea, shiny is cool on some projects but thats not the look I'm going for on my 59 chevy 1/2 ton...By the way your car looks bitch'n Flattie.

7. one of my rides has clear over hot rod flats, you should be fine but i would still run a test panel.

8. axle my 52 has been in hot rod flats for over 3 years know it sits outside rain or shine everyday and i have had no proplems with it(bird shit, finger prints, grease from the greasers touching it at the shows:D it all washes of) . next time you shoot some i'll hook you up with the person that shot mine, he'll give you some tips

9. ELDANGEROSO

ELDANGEROSO

Did you have to wet sand The flat clear or did you just leave it how it was being a flat clear?

10. 54chebby

54chebby
    BANNED
    from Ohio

I've used Hotrod Flatz on several of my cars and have never had any issues with finger prints or staining or anything like that. Hotrod Flatz us a single stage paint system with 30% shine clearcoat in it. Only thing you need to watch when spraying it us streaking if you choose a metallic color. Follow what the directions say for spraying. Good luck !

11. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Btt, Im interested and dont wanna lose this thread

12. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thanks man. I've been spraying for a long time, followed their directions - it just has a very "chaulky" finish - no sheen, and like stated previously, porous to where any foreign material likes to stick to it. It can be wiped off but with a lot of work. I don't know.

13. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

HRF is single stage. Matter of fact its basically OMNI single stage with their flattener mixed in and re-labeled. That being said I would use either an OMNI clear or PPG clear for compatibility. If it were me, I would lay down the HRF as best I could and leave it. Wait a few weeks or so, then wetsand the HRF flat and free of defects and lay down the flat clear. Doing this will not only allow you to correct any issues you may have in the color coat, but it will also lessen the chance of you having any issues with the clear over the HRF.

14. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I'm no expert on paint but couldn't you clear HRF with PPG Flex -N- Flat clear? You'd essentially be using the same product line Providing yourself with more durable "unshiny" results which is what your looking for anyhow.

15. ELDANGEROSO

ELDANGEROSO

Well couldn't I just make it easier on my self and just buy Kustom Shop's flat clear? Since they are the one's selling Hot Rod Flatz? I thought they quit using Omni ?

16. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

You probably could. The problem you run into is with the catalysts. If you try puttin them on wet-wet and theres an issue, your F'd. If you let the HRF dry completely and then put the clear over, you greatly lessen the chances of a flare up.

17. ELDANGEROSO

ELDANGEROSO

I planned on putting the clear on after it dried..But by dried to you mean-according to the tech sheet for the paint, Hard dry which is overnight or full cure which is 7 days? Just asking cause I want to get this shit right the first time around....Oh what the hell is a flare up?

18. I think in general you should be fine just shooting the single stage.
    do you garage the car or leave it outside?....
    If you already bought the clear then do it two stage but if you havent just shoot the
    single. Your curing might be tricky if your mixing the two on top of eachother in a cure time. The catalysts might conflict -bubble, mix, swirl (Flare). I agree with SlownLow let it dry then shoot clear if you need it. I always use Lemon Pledge to clean the Mrs and my cars before shows and it takes oil and finger prints right out.
    Were shooting her t bird in a few weeks and i had them put a little bit more shine in it like a semi gloss HRF. My company uses about $1000 of HRF a week in our booth and our satin and flats hold up really well with oil. Just needs to be cleaned like AXLE said.

Hey AXLE if you see this contact me about shows-
    We've spoken at shows to have the band play-
    Jason Lee-

19. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Full cure as per the tech sheets, and then some to be safe. When solvents that arent meant to be used together are used together, all sorts of shit can occur. By flare up, I just meant an issue that you really don't wanna have to deal with!

20. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

Do a mix of 4 pts color- 1 pt hardener- 1 part reducer on a test panel I believe you will get the satin finish you want. I just did the test panel with that mixture in midnight blue and it came out satin

21. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

To me, cheap clears, here in Southern California, are a waste of good money-two years tops in the L.A. basin before they start to take a shit, in Lancaster-maybe 1.5 years? I'd step up to a preminum clear if you must go with a clear!
    I'd just go with the full wet, well sprayed HRF O.D.Green, allow it to fully kick and harden, and follow up, perhaps 2-3 months down the road with a coat of Rain-X or Pledge and let it go at that.
    Tryin' to step over dollars to pick up pennys on a paint job is a bit like takin a piss in the wind and wonderin' why you got wet!

I'll sure be glad when this silly flat paint craze finely leaves town!

" Do not be too quick to drink the Kool-Aid "