Register now to get rid of these ads!

going to pacific northwest

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mitch 36, Jun 16, 2010.

1. I'm leaving Chicago area and heading up to Washington and Oregon for 3 weeks, is there anything I should be looking out for along the way? We will be camping and not going to any major cities, just small town stuff and national forest type things.I have got to get my car fixes along the way and maybe meet some HAMBERS also. Help me out please, I would appreciate it. Thanks Mitch.

2. 117harv

117harv

Im in so oregon if you get down this way i have a private vintage tin yard to check out and some rod buddies as well as a cold beer.

3. I am in Port Townsend WA. If you need a lift and some tools You are welcome at my shop. Not sure if you will make it up this far, but feel free to call on me if you need it.
    Rich

4. Billetproof Washington at the Southwest Washington Fairgrounds, June 26-27, Chehalis.

5. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

what dates and where abouts in the NW. Its a large place

6. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Billetproof, roundup, beaches cruise ins @ PIR every wednesday, voodoo doughnut every 1st sunday of the month, etc.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  7. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

i'm in portland right on I-5 tools, 10 blocks from the napa distribution center, welder. p.m. me for contact info if you want.

8. mossback44

mossback44

I agree with the recommendation to go to Billetproof. You didn't say when you are leaving, but here are a few other things you might also want to hit if the time is right for you:
    July 23-25 -- Goodguys Pacific NW Nationals in Puyallup WA
    August 5-8 -- 40th Annual Yellowstone Rod Run in West Yellowstone MT
    August 13-15 -- Goodguys Great NW Nationals in Spokane WA
    If you haven't seen Glacier NP in MT, you should put it on your itinerary. The Going-to-the-Sun Highway is a spectacular feat of early road construction that everyone should see. Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP's should also great places to visit and you'll see lots of wild animals, especially elk, buffalo and bear.
    I'm in SW WA near Portland OR and can also lend a tool or a lift if you need one.
    Good luck on your drive!

9. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

bring a sweater...really

10. flathead fred

flathead fred

I know you said no major cities, but we are in Seattle. Should ya need something out this way PM me

11. uncle buck

uncle buck

don't forget the rain-x! For camping you might look at Mt St Helens for a volcanic experience. Mt Ranier is over 15,000 ft. and you are startng from sea level. Leavenworth , and the North Cascade highway (20) is a nice drive.

12. Spooky

Spooky

Great Beers, good coffee, salmon and crab!

PIR Wednesday cruises in Stumptown and isn't the Jubitz show on Saturday?

13. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

if your coming to washington bring a set of clothes for every season...REALLY!

14. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

not much to do in washington except watch it rain. Might get luckey and get a nice day, followed by more rain.

15. you have a pm.

16. If camping, don't forget the Oregon Coast! Barview, Cape Lookout, Honeyman and Bullards Beach State Campgrounds come to mind......

17. GARY?

GARY?

Post your travel dates. I bet we can fill up your itinerary. I'm in Ashland, OR. Too close to California for some.
    Gold Beach area down south.
    Merl Haggard's playing 'round Oregon and Washington in June, July, fishing, beer, hot rods....

18. RDR

RDR

Mitch....central Oregon...Lava beds, high desert lakes, mountains... camping on the property if you want to,and hot rod activity here too....Lapine;Bend;Redmond;and Madras (drag strip)....Randy ...541-510-4498

19. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

Well if your here this weekend, it's the Rose City Round-Up at jubitz!

20. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Damn, if I had known that, you might have been able to bring back those '36 sedan delivery quarters that I wanted! They were cut off the car. That counts as a carry on right? :D

21. Choptop

Choptop

Rose City Round-Up
    Billetproof

lots to see and do... the Evergreen Aviation museum is GREAT. Spruce Goose and all... plus lots of other very interesting planes.

Hot-Rod-O-Rama - Aug 6-7, 2010

Unique Tin
    Show in Longview - Aug 27-28
    Billetproof Hot Rod Eruption Drags - Aug 29 Riverdale Raceway Toutle, WA

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  22. ken1939

ken1939

Nice work guys, You have all hit what I would have suggested. That of course depends on where in carmen sandiego you will be traveling in Washington/Oregon.

Mentioned: St Helens Visitor Center(they have a great theater show with a wild ending), McMinville and the air museum ***** 5 stars, Billetproof, PIR Drags and dont forget the Wed Cruises and PIR.

What I would ad...

Travel up and down the Columbia from Vancouver east. Travel to the Dalles. Lookout point to stop at along the way, lots of great falls to see. Part of the Louis and Clark Expedition route. At Bonneville Dam they have a fish hatchery. Course its cooler to come when the Salmon Spawn.

Mt Hood, go to Lost lake, you can walk around it (5miles) and go up to the mountain and visit the Timberline Lodge. Sits at the base of Hood, pretty neat. There are hiking trails there and I believe you can do horseback riding as well. You can stay there or just have lunch.

Memory Lane Motors in Portland (really over priced cars now) All American Auto Salvage in Vancouver (you can walk the lot)

Cottage Bakery up in Long Beach if you make it to the coast. About 30 mins from Astoria. Best bakery in the pacific northwest. Long Beach right on the ocean. Staying there myself end of this month for two days.
    Heck you can go to Astoria and see the actual school used for Kindergarden Cop.

Oregon coast is pretty cool drive, very scenic, and lots of lighthouse and such. Not sure if your going down that far.

23. TMoney

TMoney

x2. GO THERE!

24. Spooky

Spooky

Oh- VooDoo donuts in downtown Portland....

25. sir

sir

try checking out the rogue river boat trip in ether gold beach or if your "inland" try grants pass. the jet boat tour run the river twice a day lot's of food and fun...

26. Flying or Driving?

I commuted across Washington nearly every weekend last summer, so I've done almost every possible east to west route in the state. By far my favorite drive is Spokane up to Grand Coulee Dam then up across Highway 20, the North Cascade's highway, it's absolutely gorgeous this time of year. Stay on Highway 20, cross over Deception Pass and on to Whidbey Island then hop the ferry to the Olympic Peninsula and the Olympic National Rain Forest.

If you were really adventurous you could in one day in the great state of Washington start out in the giant flood plane that make up the channeled scab lands of Eastern Washington, go through the desert of central Washington, cross a mountain range, make a quick stop on on island, and stay the night in the rain forest of Western Washington.

27. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

if your around the Auburn Area on a saturday, you have to visit trust salvage. Over 500 old cars.

28. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Can I come? :D

29. Thanks for all the ideas guys, were leaving on Friday after a short work day and pulling the camper for three weeks. I'm taking my Crackberry so I will be able to stay on top this thread as we travel. I hope that I can meet up with some of you guys along the way. The only big city we will be in is Seatle, I have to pick my daughter and her boy friend up at the airport on Thursday . Other than that we will be boondocking it. Cant wait for the rain! haha. Chad, we got so much SHIT packed into the van, I would have to strap the quarters on the roof. AS for where we will be going, the BOSS has us hitting tons of National parks, State forest areas and Mt.St. Helens, Mt. Raineer and other places that I dont know about yet, I just drive, she plans. Should be a great trip. WE are planning on moving from Illinois in about two years and were looking at Evergreen, CO. but we gotta check out Washington and Oregon first to see what its like there. Cant wait. See you guys soon, Mitch.

30. ken1939

ken1939

You may fall in love with Washington State, I did :)