Register now to get rid of these ads!

why must we put the same make motor in samemake body?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by teddyp, Jun 14, 2010.

1. SBC is for me! I really don't give two shits what others say. There's enough of us out here for those that want "the proper engine in the car" and for those of us that do it our own way. What burns me is when a guy tells me that it's disgraceful to put a Chevy in a Pontiac and then tells me he's got a 9-inch under his GTO. What's the difference between putting a Ford in the front or a Ford in the rear?

To each their own, says I.

2. My plymouth has a 350/4spd combo, and ford axles - why not?

3. NOLUCK13

NOLUCK13

I say do what you want, screw everybody else!

4. 88 gtu

88 gtu

I'm gonna use either a Duramax or a Powerstroke in my 49 pontiac,thats different!

5. xadamx

xadamx

It's interesting to read everyone's opinions on this, but I really don't think that many people on the HAMB care much if someone is running a sbc. The internet is different than real life, it's easy to be critical and condescending from behind a keyboard...and I think it sometimes becomes a contest to seem "most traditional." I don't see anything wrong with running a smallblock chevy, and I think anyone that has enough of a problem to tell you they have a problem with your engine choice is just lame. There are several reasons why the sbc is so plentiful and popular, we all know the reasons...and they are all convincing. Besides, isn't replacing a stock engine with something bigger and better traditional? And, isn't the sbc traditional?

-265, 1954-57
    -283, 1957-67
    -327, 1962-69
    -350, 1967-present

By the way, I have a sbc in my '35 Ford 5W...but have had flatheads in the past:)

6. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, man!! :)

7. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

why are ya paying any attention whatsoever to what a bunch of so-called 'experts' think? Modifying cars to personalize them to our own preferences is pretty much what this hobby is all about. There will always be lowbrow dehorns that decide that something is a rule or that something else is a violation of some other rule. The small block Chevy (take THAT, GM) is easy to hop up, thanks to the manufacturer and their performance department - been that way since 1955, and will continue until the government steps in (as they most assuredly will someday). Some of my stuff is Ford/Ford, some is Ford/Chev, some is Ford/hemi...these are cars I like, and I don't care about anyone else's opinion or rules about what goes into what if you want to "fit in" with their idea of this avocation. Sure - the sbc is indeed ubiquitous, but so what? Most popular V8 ever made - so those diehards can just get over it. I'm 65, been fiddling with cars since I was 14, so my opinion is not one of not understanding the appeal of early OHVs beside the Chev. I've had my share of 303s, 331s, 324s, 371s, 354s and 401s. We could hardly wait to hit the wrecking yards to see what had come in over the weekend - we knew SOMEBODY in HS needed a big V8. There was even a 34 5w in the parking lot with a Stude V8 in it...ran like scat.

dj

8. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

i have a 54 ford with a 55 plymouth grille also getting ready to put in packard tail lights.Although i still have the original 6 cylinder what it comes down to is what the person building the car wants to do with it hell after all it is your car.I can tell if my 6 takes a turn for the worst im smb it

9. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I really don't care what people think . It's my car! It's My build! I run what I want to run in my car. I personaly love Chevys. It's what I grew up with and prefer but , if I want to run an Olds engine in my Plymouth I'm going to do it.

10. do what ya want..period...let the next owner/caretaker do what he wants....period...i got a 325 dodge hemi in my 38 fiat topolino..building for cross the usa crusin'.....only cause it is what i wanted..had a sbc with od auto in it mocked up first...it was what i wanted.....

but to those who knock the sbc, well it's just a hard motor to knock performance wise....and easy..and ya don't need to worry about trans swaps, like with thers...everything fits a sbc damn near....boring???matter of opinion...tired of see so many??happens with everything that is popular for long ass time period.......

it's your's do what ya want...fuck everyone else...it's not their's..........it's yours.......

11. no, sorry. i dont much look at street rods. the graphics of the 80s killed that for me. lol.
    but your right. they all sport SBCs.

12. roddinron

roddinron

That's a good question, I don't know what sence is either???:confused:
    I was talking about sense. Sorry to hear you got a bad 350. Glad you don't vote.

13. roddinron

roddinron

You left out my personal favorite (I have 3)

-400, 1970-1980

Maybe not "traditional" enough for some here, but I love em.

14. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

What !! are you talking about ? On Y blocks as well as early 289's the generator is on the bottom under the cylinder bank and all but invisible to anyone in a full bodied car. I was never talking about a Y block I said SBF. I build about 120 SBC's a year and ship them all over the world. I never said they were ugly and never did I say they were non traditional. Just the opposite is how I think about SBC's. Please read my posts on this thread before you post negative bullshit.
    What everyone is trying to get through to Chevy diehards is very simple. Don't spread a lie about how great Chevs are. Fords, Chrysler's and many other motors can and have been built with less money making all the wanted HP & durability that SBC guys think that only they have. If you like Chevys great, just don't try to bullshit me into believing some lie someone told you.
    Van

15. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

I like running a SBC in my car because i like to hear everyone bitch about it,and you know what,i don't care..It runs real good for me..

16. MODELA30

MODELA30

Chevy ford dodge what ever just make sure it is a american motor please no jap motors in the hor rods leave those for the 18 year old tuner kids. Knuck from indiana.

17. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

again i say who cares as long as when u turn the key its starts and runs! but i know a guy that was taking the nailhead out of his buick to put in roadster then puttin a 350 in the buick! WTF i said! it ran fine leave it!

18. Parts don't care where you put em. Just make it work. That's hot rodding, right on!

19. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

Game on
    Please PM me and we can get off this thread.
    I will start a new thread when the dust clears and Ford blue shows you the way home.
    Van

20. thesupersized

thesupersized

nothing wrong with a sbc, there's so much cool vintage speed equipment and dress up shit you can get for them...but many times people slap on their boring edelbrock 4 barrel along with some chinese valve covers...if i were to put a sbc in my ford, i'd either try and collect some rare vintage dress up stuff it, or make it look like a bone stock motor pulled right out of '58 chevy or so...

21. Deuces

Deuces

Because we can???

22. xadamx

xadamx

Nope...that's post-1970, not traditional:)

23. rustbucketcb

rustbucketcb
    from Joplin, MO

K... Im all about the unique, and do what you want attitude, but..uhh un.

foreign + american classic = absolute disgrace

24. poorman

poorman
    from cleveland

well i am a ford guy but i have just got a nova and it has a sbc in it and for what it is im impressed with it but im putting a sbf in my 41 pontiac because i have one here that was built for another project and i know what it is and thats what i want to put in it im building it for me noone else

poorman

25. Deuces

Deuces

Ain't that the truth.............

26. joel torres

joel torres

i have been told to put a hemi in my plymouth over and over ha i went with a 4.3 v6 chevy and love it im not a race car and don't need 0-60 in 4.3 secs i need something that can get fix in 4.3 sec from any parts store or replace from any junk yard worst case senario

27. i second that

28. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

There was a beautiful red 57 Oldsmobile in the Rod and Custom magazine a couple of months ago. Car was very well done, but had the SBC in place of the Olds Rocket. It just seemed wrong to me..........:confused:

29. peter johnson

peter johnson

Chev in a ford ,cool! Ford engine in a chev,bad!

30. Either way, not interested!