Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage &&& Bad Bob's "Ink -n-Iron" pic's &&&

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Bob, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

Thank you for the info. I was looking in a few of my mags for the info on this thing. I knew I had seen it before and the builder had died.

2. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

That underslung Dodge has a 440 in it. I would kill to take that for a ride. Really sucks to hear about the builder.

Great pics as usual!

3. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

BAD 1...your becomming quite the camara GURU! realy big guy i'am impressed. man did you see that fantastic EXAUST system on the flamed coupe. that's one reason i love car show's, to see and learn new twist. brother i would have enjoyed that beautiful show...POP.

4. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

B.B. I posted before i saw all of your pics. my fave was the 41 chevy. what a custom, and i realy like the 50s look. us texas hambone's would have permanant woodies after that show! HA HA...POP.

5. Brahm

Brahm

I went on Sunday..it was my first year there. I was pretty disappointed.

I took some pictures, but there isn't much point in posting them as they are the same dozen cars everybody else posted. Maybe there was a bigger car turnout sat/fri but on Sunday I think there was a few dozen cars max of which a chunk were R&Rs, I really thought there would be alot more cars even the parking lot was weak.

On top of that Mad Sin canceled which was a load of crap, and with the exception of a couple tattoo artists they all just blended together with very similar styles. I have to say, for 80$, 1000 Miles of driving and taking a few days off of work, Ink N Iron had to be one of the worst decisions I've made when it comes to my summer event/shows, from now on..no events that don't include racing..I had a enough of this "lifestyle" event, to last me a lifetime. The one plus is the gf had a good time, so who knows may end up going back next year...whether I want to or not ;)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  6. Haywood

Haywood
    from M'boro,TN

For $80, 1000 miles of driving and you ONLY went on Sunday? Just guessing,,,, but i'd say THAT was your worst decision. Most three day events are very weak on Sunday just for the fact that most people have to drive back home and go to work on Monday.

7. Brahm

Brahm

I did other stuff in SD/OC that weekend as well but the entire trip was planned around going to Ink N' Iron on Sunday. There was no schedule of events online, which I think was a huge failure on INI's part (or some how I magically missed it). My #1 Priority for the weekend was to see Mad Sin.. Who no showed... Which isn't Ink and Iron fault, but a huge let down. Next was to check out the cars, and lastly the tattoo's and art.

Were there more cars on the other days? Seems from the photos all of you have posted there weren't many more cars there on Friday, or Saturday. Looking threw, I don't see much that I don't recall seeing.. Don't get me wrong there were some really nice cars but I felt the turnout was really low and for some reason there was a shit ton of AD trucks seemed more AD trucks then anything else (which is ok with me since I have a '52).

I normally don't go to these type of events the closest being Rockabilly Road Trip @ Barona Raceway in San Diego and I assumed if a small event like that would have a 100-200 car turnout that something as big as 3 day event like Ink'n'Iron would have 200-500+ Cars. Not 30-50 (of which a chunk were RR's with a few Street Rods mixed in)

In terms of the art (vendors).. it was really low on the day I went (non-tattoo specific).
    The vendors all seemed to be very female oriented alot of clothing and accessory, only a couple guys selling posters, and paintings of which one guy had his art in 3 different booths...

Te tattoo artists maybe it's been a while since I've gone to something like this but it sure seems the good majority of them have all conformed around 2-3 styles and while a few did stand out most of the work was interchangeable.

My GF had a good time though since she is more into the ink, and found some chick she wants to do her next set of tattoos with.. For me though I was looking forward to the Cars, Music.. I probably had my expectations up way to high though thinking it would be more of a super charged Rockabilly Road Trip instead of a "life style festival"

The only thing I regret not doing was checking out coop in action, but I had already seen him a few years back at the last Rat Fink Re-union.

In terms of the crowd, the turnout was great..but I don't go for the "scene/crowd"

All in all I would have been just as happy to go surfing or enjoy being out of the mountains and in socal vs attending the event.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  8. 562roadster

562roadster

Saturday was the day to go. It was PACKED! And the ink n iron website had the event schedule.

9. MCM

MCM

I could swear the sign on Saturday said he wanted $90k for it :eek:. Pretty sure because we all kept looking back and forth at the sign, then at all the stuff that wasn't finished on the car, then back at the sign to make sure we weren't seeing things...

I figured he didn't really want to sell the car and just put a "stupid price" up in case some rich guy walked by and couldn't live without it...

10. Brahm

Brahm

I donnu man, I'm still not seeing a full schedule on the website, outside of the bands. Ah well

11. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

Very cool. Missed the show this year because we did Viva. That was our last Viva. We are picking three days of Ink and Iron from now on!

12. I'm sorry you were disapointed. But,if you're looking for a car show,this isn't it! It's more of a tattoo show,with bands and cars on the side. Yes there were LOTS more cars on Saturday. Many guys leave Sunday morning,before the show starts. I've worked the show for the last 6 years,and have NEVER been disapointed. But,we all have different expectations.
    If it was cars you were looking for,LARS is next weekend...

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

You Californians are so blase, we would kill for something even remotely like Ink 'n' Iron, and I hate tattoos and rockabilly music, Mad Sin are THE worst band ever, it was a bonus that they canceled.

14. gilbert torres

gilbert torres

....i feel you on the whole "lifestyle festival" thing..it is pretty funny seeing everyone dressed up for prom.i been tattooing for 20 years (won best traditional fri nite) i do pinstriping,tikis and im in a car club,and still dont really want to consider myself a "scenester"....i would really just be as happy doing some traveling or just hitting the gym....oh yea sat is the day that boogies..

15. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Good coverage, as always.

16. marioD

marioD

You got it spot on!

Mario

17. Nice, and that Merc is pretty cool.

Did Voodoo Larry trailer his car out there? It would be cool if he drove it, and he's cool like that.

18. Kerry67

Kerry67

What the hell is a scenester exactally? I like tattoos, tikis, Rockabilly, and the Kulture scene. But, I also have a car and that is the main thing....The cars. Does having a good time make you a scenester ?

I wish I could have been there.

19. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Sorry John, but I'm sure he trailered it, if nothing else than for ease of bringing the family.

20. A person who dress's/acts a specific way to try to fit in a particular stereotype or "scene"....

21. Brahm

Brahm

No worries, not your fault, glad you enjoyed it! Some of it couldn't be helped. (ie mad sin) In terms of what I was looking for I was looking for a bit of everything but like I said I felt it was lacking on the car end with a smaller then expected turn out, and I was hoping for a larger variety in the art/vendors. It was almost like a car "showcase" more then anything.

I was just expecting one thing and it turned out to be rather different. I'm not saying I had a bad time walked around and pouted, but I did give it a couple laps checked everything out and said huh.. I guess this is it and left early.

Ha, Mad Sin is one of my all time favorite Pyschobilly bands but that's just what I'm into. They general are pricks are a pain in the ass to deal with though so it wasn't to much of a surprise that they no showed. When I told my ole man (who imports ply to the US) they no showed.. he just laughed, and said typical. ... Hey if you want to be a part of it pack your shit and move, or make it happen in your town. I may live in cali but it's really SoCal is where it's it for this stuff which is why I had to drive 1000 miles ^_^

Grats on the win! I would have gone on Saturday, but like I said Mad Sin was key for me. All those punk bands I've seen dozens of times when I used to run my record label & work at clubs down in SD. Bands like Mad Sin & DAG don't get over to the states often due to there nature, and I jump at the chance to see them the few opportunities I have.

As far as the scenesters..ya It defiantly was thick but to be expected. SoCal is a pretty cliquish trendy place..and we love our "festivals", if it's not ink'n'iron, it's warped tour, xgames, coachillie, ect.. or some other reason to gather in mass outside and listen to a 2 Great bands, 10 washed up bands, and about 1000 shitty bands on a terrible outdoor speaker system...but what can I say we do have the weather for it..

Here's to Rockabilly Roadtrip, and Mooneyes in a few weeks...a bit more my speed!

22. Firepig

Firepig

How many different ways can I say "WOW!"

23. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Bob,I know you have some more pics,and if you could,could you send the not safe for HAMB one's to me? Thanks.

And guys,keep the arguments,etc. to a minimum and respect Bob's thread so it doesn't get shut down for argumentative drama,thanks.

I think I'm going to start a thread that has all the Ink~N~Iron photo thread links..

24. scrape53

scrape53
    from iowa

very nice....makes me wish i didnt live in iowa.thanks for the pics!

25. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Sweet picts Bob! Thanks for posting!

26. Brahm

Brahm

who's arguing? Just a bunch of guys who attended the event talking about the event. :)

27. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

But it's an even coverage thread,for pictures and comments on the pics. Start another thread if you want to discuss security issues,whether or not it will be at the Queen Mary next year,etc. Eventually the thread will get overran with discussions about the car show,someone will start an argument,then the thread will get locked,and I hate when that happens. I like Bob's coverage of the shows,and just want to avoid the rumors in the pic threads. Not trying to be an ass or act like thread police,but I hate seeing entertaining threads,especially with photos get shut down.

28. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

please no arguing about arguing...............:D

29. Brahm

Brahm

Hey my hat's off to Bob, I think he did a great job covering it which is why I haven't bothered to post any of my own photos and why I think most people flocked to this thread. There really is (imop) no need to have 50 threads on the same subject. Personally if I was a mod, I would just merge all the Ink & Iron threads. I don't quite understand why you think a thread would be shut down because people are discussing an event in an event coverage thread about said event..but to each his own.

lol

30. Big Tony

Big Tony

WOW... lotta lot of godd looking rides with 2 tires, 4 tires and the 2 legged ones...