Register now to get rid of these ads!

why must we put the same make motor in samemake body?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by teddyp, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

why must we put the same make motor in samemake body?
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1>why must these threads keep showing up on the HAMB?

2. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

I appreciate cars that run less than common powerplants. I personally get tired of seeing a nice custom or rod, done up nicely, stance is good, nice paint, cool interior, and then when I peek in the engine bay, a SBC or LS1 LS2 LS3 etc. staring back at me. To me that takes all the originality and coolness right out of the vehicle. It's been done a billion times and will be done a billion times more, yes, I know. And if that's what you have, run it. But don't get pissy and stupid with me when I walk up, peek, roll my eyes, mutter, and walk away.

FWIW, I'll be running nailhead buicks in all my stuff, just cuz I like them.

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the 60's I'd put in whatever engine I could get cheaply and so did most of my friends. I don't understand the "Ford-in-a-Ford" or "Chevy-in-a-Chevy". etc. mentality. Isn't that what grass roots hot rodding is all about - making do with what you have to work with?

About the only thing that's less traditional, is putting down a "cookie cutter" SBC.

I gotta believe most of these critics are arm chair hot rodders and never turned a wrench!

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

and the Nailhead in a Hot Rod is getting old too, I know im getting sick of looking at yet another Nailhead in a Model A..or any other hot rod for that matter..cant you guys have some imagination?:rolleyes:

5. evol55

evol55

I never knew their were rules in hot rodding. I say do what you want when you want. Just wear your flak jacket. I do like to see all kinds of engine combos in different cars. I went to a cruise in at Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs three years ago. I saw a 57 Chevy with a Hemi in it not a BBC Chevy. That man had a great idea. Hemi in a Chevy I have never saw that before. Now if you put a Ford in a Chevy I might puke but it still will be different.

6. Deuces

Deuces

Your right! I don't even know why this thread got started in the first place.....

7. slammed49

slammed49

Thats what Im talkin' about!

8. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

I don't know, I was thinking of starting a thread titled Why is billet bad?

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

hahahaha...Do it!!:D

10. whistlebritches

whistlebritches
    from texas

it aint cool as some would have you think....its the work and craftmanship that's cool....i've been lambasted by a few on here(even on my first post)...i really dont give a shit what folks say....if i like it, thats what matters....if someone else dont like it, then my thoughts are they can keep thier damn mouth shut

11. whistlebritches

whistlebritches
    from texas

think what you want....best not be rollin them eyes at folks hard work or you might just get a much needed tune up

12. thebugbox

thebugbox

The only reason I would want to go back with a Ford in a Ford, or Pontiac in a Pontiac, if the flavor of the build is 'what-if' the company would have had that technology at the time, what would it have looked like, or been like. Example is air-conditioning. Many old cars didn't have it, but I've seen a ton of cars that did it wrong. The black plastic underash unit in anything pre-65 just doesn't look right in my opinion. It would have had to be metal, rounded, and painted, or something like that. Another example, Ford Modular engine.... It would look awesome with a Carb and hidden coils on a hot rod. But it is a shame that the SBC is dollar for dollar the best value in V8 HP.... If not, prove me wrong, I'm looking for a SBF that can beat the 330hp Chevy Crate Engine....

13. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Ok, I'll bite. Truck 318's and 360's ALSO have the sump in the rear, so if that's a problem then there's no reason you can't go small block mopar instead of sbc. Yes, they're a little bigger dimensionally than an sbc. But if you can put a 392 Hemi in a '30's Ford you can certainly make a 360 fit. For that matter, early hemi's are all rear sump too.

As far as same make engine in the same make car, I usually don't mind too much, with one exception.

I am sick and tired of seeing a SBC in every hot rod, street rod, traditional rod, whatever on the road. Especially when people run open engine compartments. Why bother? Show off your sbc? Gimme a break.

If you want to run a sbc because they're cheap, please put a hood on your car, it'll look better anyway. If you want to run an sbc because they're more reliable or make more power, then feel free, but you're drinking the kool-aid on that one, neither are patently true.

Folks usually catch holy hell for cheaping out on their builds or cutting corners. Just try and start a thread with the "R" word. SBC's, as far as I'm concerned, are no different. Run a BBC. Or a BBF. Or a SBF. Or a flathead. Or a Hemi. Or a big or small block mopar. Or any straight 6, or 8, or whatever. Run ANYTHING in ANYTHING, as long as the equation doesn't include a freaking crate SBC. At least pretend to be different.

But that's just my opinion. I put 10k miles a year on a 318. I also have a 400+ hp 340 nearly finished. And I can still buy all my stock parts at the local auto store. But who runs stock parts anyway?

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i love going to the drag races and seeing all the fords, and other makes with the SBC in them...

everyone thinks the rustang won..but only the body did:D

i wonder if thats too much reality for some of the people on here?:confused::cool:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  15. Deuces

Deuces

I never did like the Vortec headed sbc's because of the ugly center bolt valve covers.. Gag me!! :eek:

16. motohack

motohack
    from NorCal

I'm putting a Toyota Landcruiser 3FE engine in a '41 Chevy truck.

17. 10secondA

10secondA

when it all comes down to it there will always be this argument, but i dont know about all of you but i will continue to run the engine and tranny i want regardless of what anybody else thinks anyway, because the bottom line is i built it for me and not for you

18. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

Yuk

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  19. VonHertell

VonHertell

The way I see it is....

If you have a Chrysler you put in a Chrysler

If you have anything else.... you put in a chrysler. :)

20. 1936hotrod

1936hotrod
    from RI/CT

My pinto powered 48 ford pickup gets lots of looks and the same BS this thread is getting.:0

21. It's still boring. ;) Do the same with a SBF/C4 and it'd instantly be less boring!

22. As the great Bob Glidden once said... the motor doesn't know what the valvecovers say!:D

Who cares, it aint your car and its an added bonus if its cool and being driven as hard as the motor can be driven!!

-Shiny

23. DrJ

DrJ

The first I heard of guys, other than restorers, striving for same make engines was in the late '60's with the now considered stogie "resto-rods".
    And it was 260" and 289" Fords in Fords with Bronco rear sump oil pans and special shorter than usual water pumps to help them fit.
    Before that, hot rodding was about what was faster, with no loyalties to anything but speed.

24. BWFitz

BWFitz

Yup. Those guys wouldn't know a Cad-Allard or a Studillac if it rolled up and bit em on the backside. Wringing the best performance out of whatever wheels you had was the tradition that started long before there was a Summit Racing. You went to the junkyard and found a smashed Cadillac, Desoto, Olds or Chrysler 300; anything with a big V8 and shoe-horned it into your Studebaker Hawk, or 40 Ford or what have you. It was cubic inches that mattered and the craftsmanship it took to get the thing to fit and work that mattered. "Brand Loyalty "was invented by clowns who write commercials to just sell more crap...and they don't know s--t about building fast hot rods!

25. bustac

bustac

I have a SBC in a 1966 Porsche 911, an LS1 in a 1941 ford, LS1 in a 47 Chevy P/U. Do what you like :cool:...

26. mopargnome

mopargnome

I have a friend with a 66 Olds F-85 race car. He ran a 9.63 (quarter mile) at a pinks event. He gets back to the pits and a huge crowd gathers. My friend pops the hood to reveal the big block Olds motor. Half the crowd walked away mad that it wasnt a chevy. Now thats lame!

27. phukinartie

phukinartie

I dunno. I remember when I was 12 or so I seen a 40 ford pickup with a 318 mopar in it and even at that age it didnt seem quite right to me. I have seen model A's with
    231 buicks in them and thought Blech!! Not to mention a mustang with a blown big block..Although I got a kick out of it it left a small pit in my belly.
    Hey its yours so whatever....Sure is fun to read all the deep thinker posts though!!

28. this is one of my pet hates. to me, putting the same brand engine in your ride is straight out street rodding. its boring and uncreative. the guys who came before us liked to use diffrent powerplants and as im here for trad hot rods, thats my view.

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Hunh? Have you looked at street rods in the last 20 years? SBC in 90% of them regardless of make.

30. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I've got a 289 Ford in my '57 Plymouth. Fits nice. Makes about three times as much power as the 230 six that came out of it.

[​IMG]