Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

Awesome it shall be!

2. Gaat lekker Farmer, summer started in Holland today, hope it will be on the Dutch roads this summer.

3. farmer12

farmer12

Won't be this summer, but definitely summer 2011!

4. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks, still learning everyday though...

5. farmer12

farmer12

Just picked up my new rear end from the harbor this morning. Damn these things are heavy. Its a Currie 9 inch rear end with 3.70 gears and true trac. Also installed are Wilwood brakes with 12 inch cross drilled ventilated discs. Plenty of stopping power here! Created a little ramp to get the crate out of my truck and installed the steel wheels I'll be using. Luckily the disc and caliper set up fit nicely. Raised the rear end of the chassis and slid the rear end underneath for a first look. The exact position can only be determined when I get my body back on the chassis, which will hopefully be the end of this week or early next week.

Attached Files:

6. farmer12

farmer12

Started cutting the frame in front of the c notch this morning. The first photo shows the old situation.This was just too ugly and needed further strengthening.First welded a piece in the bottom. Boxed the old frame and welded a new long piece along the side of the frame . Will weld up the top this afternoon. More pics later.

Attached Files:

7. farmer12

farmer12

Finished the top part this afternoon and grinded it smooth. Gave a quick spray of rustoleum. All in all it took nearly 4 hours of measuring, cutting and welding. Going to do the other side in the next few days. In the last picture you can see what the other side looks like. The new work will also make it easier when it comes down to welding the upper bars of the triangulated 4 link suspension.

Attached Files:

8. asome. great work! that thing is gunna haul!

9. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks! Don't know what the car will weigh eventually, but it should be fast enough.......

10. willymakeit

willymakeit

Just caught this thread. Nice work. Didnt realize that a 40 Plymouth could look this good.

11. farmer12

farmer12

I know there isn't much difference between the two but this is a 41. Thanks for the compliment anyway.:)

12. farmer12

farmer12

Started on the other side of the frame today. It went quicker than yesterday. Cleaned up the welds and will put some primer on it later on. The rear of the frame looks a lot cleaner now, not forgetting giving it extra strength. Pretty happy with the progress.

Attached Files:

13. highrolla7

highrolla7

Im hoping I can get mine looking like what yours "used" to look like! The work you do is amazing!!

14. farmer12

farmer12

Good to hear you bought it. Post some pics when you get time.What are the plans?

15. farmer12

farmer12

Just a couple of pics of the finished product. Looks a lot better than it did before, that's for sure.:D

Attached Files:

16. farmer12

farmer12

Just been over to the guy doing the sheet metal work. The sides are now done and it looks great! The flowing lines are retained, just like it was.He spent a lot of time on the metal and it shows. Some further metal work will be required below the rear window.Will post some more pics soon showing the body.

Attached Files:

The 39 guy likes this.
  17. farmer12

farmer12

Here's some more pics of the brilliant metal sculpture. This guy has achieved some amazing work. I am really impressed. (just not with the bill:rolleyes:)

Attached Files:

The 39 guy likes this.
  18. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wow beautiful metal work ! Sure is miles above what was done by the previous owner!

19. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks. Previous owner just had a different way of doing the metal work. I also understand that not everyone has metal shaping machines in their garage. I just want it done right, even if that means having to delay the build in order to get the funds together. Each to their own I guess.

20. 41Plymouth4dr

41Plymouth4dr
    from Tioga, PA

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Andy,
    Here in the USA(in most states)the title(paperwork)goes by the serial number on the body not the frame I think unless maybe in real old vehicles that had the numbers on the frame.

21. farmer12

farmer12

Here in the Netherlands you'll have to get the serial number stamped in the frame. This is usually no problem, as long as there is some verification with the data tags/serial numbers etc. all matching up. Luckily, the rules here have become a little easier with the oldtimer cars, making the registration process quicker and less difficult.

22. farmer12

farmer12

Just got the body back this morning, lifted it off the trailer with just the three of us. Placed it on the chassis but I'll need to do some fine adjusting myself to get it exactly in its correct position. Going to buy some new bolts, washers and nuts tomorrow. I mounted the rear fenders to ensure the new axle fits. It clears everything correctly, just like we measured. I placed the rear axle on some stands for now, having to do the final adjustment when the body is bolted to the chassis. From there I can work out the position of the triangulated four link. Things are happening again! More pics soon.

Attached Files:

23. farmer12

farmer12

Here's some more photos.

Attached Files:

24. farmer12

farmer12

Just made a few more pics for your enjoyment! I hope you like them.

Attached Files:

25. TwinH

TwinH
    from Finland

This car is going to be so cool when finished. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on the progress.

26. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you! Enjoying every minute of it. I was afraid I bit of more than I can chew for a first timer but its still all working out great.

27. farmer12

farmer12

Wouldn't mind seeing some pics, especially when you get that Cadillac engine in there. :eek:Keep me posted and good luck with your build.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  28. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's going to be wicked when you're finished!

29. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Rock, how is yours coming along?

30. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

long time since i've viewed this thread,,
    still going strong!!
    and the car is comin aong great!!
    perry