Register now to get rid of these ads!

why must we put the same make motor in samemake body?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by teddyp, Jun 14, 2010.

1. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

if ya don't want to put a sbc in a ford ... Don't buy a damn ford. That simple. The end.thank you very much.

2. teddyp

teddyp

most people that i know put a chevy in a ford just cause they like chevy motors and the like ford cars. people who cry are mostly the one,s that are just make loyal to one make and would spent any amount of money just to keep it that make that,s cool but i guess i,m lucky the group the i hang with are all into driffrent makes so i,ve learn over the years that the all make good cars and drive trains and the all suck i have bubby,s that race mopars, gm,s and ford,s myself i like sbc,s and use them for that reson alone but i also have a y-block ford that had the best motor i ever had a ford pick -up f 250 work truck i not too carzy about and afew old caddy,s the point that i,m trying to make is you put what you like in the car and only causes it,s what you want not just cheaper and being creative is doing what you want. what,s really boreing is people knocking other cars cause of thier choice there just so tired of this boreing sbc,s bull shit build it drive ,the shit oue of it ,and have fun :D

3. wvenfield

wvenfield

One can swap engines and have something cool. Sometimes you can't. As noted...

Ewwwww, yeah, my opinion.

Also, SBC Under Glass wouldn't have been the same.

4. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Not trying to speak for sledish but last time i checked there are absolutely no auto parts stores around stocking a 56 merc generator.

Honestly I dont care what engine someone is running. Yes it is cool to go to a show and see a classic Y block, nailhead, rocket, flathead, hemi, ect. But I do not shit on someone for running a sbc. Im still running an original 331 in my cad but have a 350 in my 48 gmc. Mostly because of cost. I dont have thousands of dollars to rebuild something else so for now i run a sbc.

5. teddyp

teddyp

sounds great have fun with it

6. brad chevy

brad chevy

Well I"m still alive,alot a hard core Ford,Chevy,Mopar,Buick,Cadillac,Olds and Pontiac love what they love,but the fact that most use the sb Chevy is mainly availability,its not like you can go to any swapmeet or classifieds and find sb,FORDS,289,descent older 302s,not the new junk,and when was the last time you saw a 340 Mopar,Buick Nailhead or Olds engine for sale,hell,here in Florida all the Caddy engines have been bought up and put into airboats,Whatever engine you put in your ride just keep it American,nothing worse than to see a old car with a Toyota 4-banger under the hood .All of you fellows that are running something besides a sb Chevy are owners of rare engines,I am a Chevy guy and smallblocks are everywhere,3 to 4 hundred bucks ,you"re on the road.Can"t do that with any other brand,Now ya"ll can put the guns away.

7. Chevy's are good, you must run them in everything and the government is looking out for your best interest. Chevy's are good, big brother loves you . . .

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I like seeing fords in fords and buicks in buicks because it's not the supposed easy way out. More often than not putting a SBC in a car nickels and dimes you to the point where it would have been cheaper to fix the "off brand" engine.

uhhh... what? That's asinine.

and it's a bunch of BS to boot, someone pulled that one up a while back about Nailheads, seems there were 3 parts stores in their town that had the water pump in stock. :D

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Hunh, every day I see them for sale, here, on eBay, on Craiglsist, all over the place, take off the blinders already.

10. sledish

sledish

That was my point 54 Caddi, thank you for having my back.

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I never follow that rule..is it a rule?
    well if it is..I like to break rules so ..isnt that what hot rodding is about?
    I use what i got..if someone dont like it ..tuff. they wanna see something different in my car, than they can offer it up free and I will be more than happy to drive the shit out of it.
    anyone who has bitched about what a car has in it for a power plant is just gay..9 times out of ten you ask them to show your their car and you get a laundry list of why its not there:rolleyes:

fake tits are over done too..but we all enjoy them, and sure as hell wana look at them let alone play with em..silicone tits are like the SBC of boob jobs
    truth is i like em real, but i will not lie about breaking my neck to look

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  12. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Well I think folks can do what they want, but everyone has to remember that when you put a different make motor in a car you are tied to anti-rejection drugs for the life of the car. (lest the car's immune system attacks and destroys the engine as a foreign entity)

13. 1936hotrod

1936hotrod
    from RI/CT

I guess my 240z motor powered 56 chevy 2 dr sedan would be a no no. I love the damn thing. Cant wait to get this cast off so i can go drive the piss out of it.
    You have to remember there are a lot of used oval track chevy motors just collecting dust and almost free. They cost 13 grand to build and are worth 500 buck 3 years later. You wont find a caddy or other motor that cheap. i do have to say there are a few ford motors running the mod tour that will be cheap in a few years.

14. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

After reading through this whole thread I now have a headache and I need to poop. I love 283 Chevrolets and put them anything I build and don't give a fuck who likes or don't like it. Next question.

15. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Do what you wanna do. I don't gripe about SBC's, as a matter of fact I have alot of respect for them and I appreciate the cost savings and parts availability.

But I do find it boring to see the same cookie cutter SBC stuffed into every old car.

16. 1936hotrod

1936hotrod
    from RI/CT

Keep the hood shut and who the hell is gonna know. I dont do shows much so you wont know whats in it at 75 mph anyway.Use what you have!!!

17. nwaringa

nwaringa

I put a sbc in my International. That should twist just about everyone's panties. It turns the "like model" guys grandma panties and stretches the "small blocks are unoriginal and lazy" guys thongs.

18. roddinron

roddinron

OK, I give up, could someone decipher that ^for me?!:eek:

19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Make in make is not a big deal,but adds a small bit of cool to a build in makes that have cool motors,not all do.:cool:
    So ya I like to see M&M when it makes good scents:D

20. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

So when installing a SBC use a alternator and when installing a SBF use a 56 generator ? are you sane ? Please remove blinders now !!
    Van

21. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

...and now it's Really Fast !!!

22. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Now that there is funny, I don't care who you are.

I guess you haven't been following the news lately and are not aware of the evil General Motors and their cronies. :eek:
    I agree that the 350/350 thing is totally overdone. I have this combo in a '32 Ford, '65 Olds and a '71 El Camino ( oh wait, it came with that!). To make things even more hazy, I'm building a 427 LSX and 200 4R combo for the Ford and a 5.3 LS/700 R4 combo for the Olds. Will sacrilege never cease?

23. Zerk

Zerk

Apparently not. I'd just like to get everybody to be a little more enterprising in their sacrilege.
    If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly:D

24. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

I dont know about you, but if I'm running a nice traditional motor like a Y block, hanging an alternator off the side of it looks like ass.

According to you, sbc's are ugly and non traditional but alternators are good? Maybe your the one with the blinders on!

25. screw that. let me have the dough for a 426 hemi and it's going in my 55.

guys like me run a 350/350 (but it ain't close to stock) because it's CHEAP. if that's a problem, i'd gladly accept donations.

26. bucket t

bucket t

Hot Rodding has always been about improving on a factory design and making it better or unique.One way we did this was with a Flathead ,a better way when they came along was with a SBC.Engines got better so we moved from Lhead to overhead ,but somewhere along the line things stopped evolving.Seems to me the overhead cam engines should be the powerplant of choice today.
    In my T I'm going with a 57 /283 SBC since it is now over 50 years old which is longer than the Ford flathead was around .Being that old certainly puts it in the fifties or sixties retro rod category,and the SBC is possibly the best all around design since the flathead.My point is that although we are all trying to be original by going back ,early hot rodders did it by moving up and ahead to the best engine combo they could get their hands on.
    Dan

27. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

28. krooser

krooser

I'm putting a 5HP B&S in a Chevelle cuz I've got a bunch of 'em laying around and parts are cheaper than SBC's...

29. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

sence??? what the bloody flying fuck is that? and who cares what's easy
    if i cared about sence and easy i'd drive a fucking prius! and i'd take to to the dealer to have it serviced and i'd DRIVE THE MOTHERFUCKING SPEED LIMIT! .. but i don't.. so i won't and i will not, i'm a hotrodder and
    a craftsman, i don't care what people think, i do things to be diffrent for
    ME, hell i just sold my 66 mustang to afford more projects, it was powered by a 7.3 powerstroke, i built it because it made me smile,
    i'll build a car just because i think it's funny or i want to see what it looks
    like. i don't evean go to car shows! and i don't vote.

and the sbc 350 is only reliable if you use propane.. but that's true with most. now a good sbc 307 is reliable, got 200,050 miles out of one before i had to change the rings... and that's with pump gas, i know it's the same
    block, but something about 350's just makes em break when your in the
    MIDDLE OF FUCKING NOWHERE! , where as i've limped a mopar 360 for 150 miles to a town on 3cyls and the 4th skipping. yea it broke.. but it did so in a way that i could get safely to a town, sucker blew 4 rings and
    bent a rod but KEPT RUNNING! ..

30. don't you know? it's way kooler to have your ride stuck in your garage while you save your pennies for a gee-whiz engine than to be out enjoying it!!