Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

Dan's Arrow on the outside of Kotary[​IMG]

2. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

That 17 Pinto, in post 5936 is about the swoopiest one I've ever seen...here's an unswoopy one for contrast. It's a photo of a photo, from Candellight Stadium in Bridgeport, I think.

Attached Files:

3. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

The 17 was the "Bandit" a one off Troyer special. I believe it was orignally owned by Jack Soucey, driven, by Maynard Troyer, some by Gil Hearne and later it was sold to Statewide Racing and driven by dirt star Jimmy Horton at the Race of Champions (And maybe a couple of other pavement shows too.). After that I have no idea who drove it. George Meade may be able to expound on this. I think the car is still around and now runs some vintage events in and around New Jersey.

I agree it was one of the coolest looking Pinto mods, my other favorite is the Richie Evans "Slab Sided Pinto"

4. BillyTKidd

BillyTKidd

Funny, as Iwas scrolling down the page I saw the Troyer 6 and as usual thought it was sharp.
    Then I thought the 73 was a bit sleeker.
    Then I saw the 17, and said Damn that thing is fast sitting still!

5. Carl72

Carl72

Me in the #22 at Freeport

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is a model of the car I drove the most maybe this will help find more pictures of my cars.

[​IMG]

Carl
    ps- if you want to take these pictures and sell them I hope you get rich from them LOL

6. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Some of Bugsy Stevens in the "Log Roller":

[​IMG]

Battling Jan Opperman and Dennis Giroux at Trenton

[​IMG]

Taking the checkered

[​IMG]

Alongside Jim Rudolph

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Leading Ron Bouchard #17 and Fred Desarro #3 in the "Woodchopper"

[​IMG]

Tangling with Moose Hewitt and Seekonk

[​IMG]

At Malta battling with Andy Romano #97 in what somewhat pointed out previously was the former Dutch Hoag Valiant

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mods in the midst of the changeover: Bugsy still in the "woodchopper" battling Ed Flemke #34 and Ron Bouchard #17 in pintos and Ray Miller in the #401 mustang

[​IMG]

8. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Bugs with another checkered flag

[​IMG]

Battling with that pair again: Ed Flemke in the #10 this time and Fred Desarro in Ole' Blue

[​IMG]

A familiar pose at Stafford this time Ed Flemke in the #34 alongside Da Bugman

[​IMG]

At Oswego with Ron Wallace #16 and Jim Rudolph #72

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Bugs in the Vega. Did that car have a nickname like the "woodchopper"and the "log roller" did?

[​IMG]

Battling Bill Clark #31 and Brian Ross #87

[​IMG]

The Bugman and his fans

[​IMG]

Bugs at Islip (Calinoff photo I believe) in front of Jim Hendrickson

[​IMG]

At Stafford after an altercation with Geoff Bodine

[​IMG]

10. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

I used to hang out at Troyer Engineering, when the 17 was there.The black 17 was originally Maynars's car, but Soucy bought it before it was completed,for Gary Balough to drive. Maynard always bead rolled "M/T" in the dash of his own cars, and the 17 had it. Maynard had to build another for himself. I think Gary only drove once or maybe a couple of times.

11. As you the guy that I talked to and also verified that I had a real Banjo car at Boscoe's Swap meet back in January?

12. Slippery

Slippery

Shamrock 3x, you want to compare notes, or what? Here's the rest of my Waterford Speedbowl programs (the called the "New London Speedbowl"):

Attached Files:

13. weathrmn

weathrmn

Owner Builder of the # 39 Modified from Morrisville. Pa., Dave Piscopo has died.

Driven first by Bud Olson and then Al Tasnady. Car and team known as the Pole Cat.

RIP Davey

14. George M.

George M.

There's really nothing to "expound" on! You pretty much covered it Rich! I will add that I never liked the "shovel-nose" on the 17. Other than that the car was a gem. Like you said, that car is still around and the nose still bothers me.

15. pw7

pw7

carl, got your e/mail, sent you one back, thanks, still looking for the pics we have of your car

16. silvermist350

silvermist350

#1 Tooterville Trolley This car ran at Golden Gate Speedway in Tampa Fl. early to mid 60's that is a Casper the Ghost doll on top and a decal of casper on back that said follow me and the bell that Kip would ring when he won and it had a 230 Chevy motor and it was so fast people would protest it and i stayed for the tear down and he was legal but the only competition for him was Bernard McElwain or Buzzie Reutimann and Wayne Reutimann all ran 230 Chevy's - this was the B-Class all inline 6 cyl and i think 248 CID was the limit but Kip Pierce could start dead last and in 2 laps have the lead . I always loved the inline 6 cyl and what they did with them was just unbelievable Kip also ran at Sunshine Speedway in Pinellas Park Fl. Just across Howard Franklin Bridge

17. silvermist350

silvermist350

Photo below is the # 1 of Kip Pierce in the "Tooterville Trolley" ( mid 60's) Golden Gate Speedway , Tampa, Florida Most of the time drivers of race cars become famous , but this car was most Famous in the history of Golden Gate Speedway.. The car ran in the class B 's on Friday night and was unbeatable for a few years. The car sports ( what looks to be )a Model A Ford sedan body 1930-31 vintage with a inline 6 cylinder chevy , it was owned by Bud Joesy. The engine was in the middle of the car and the driver all the way to the rear. The young kids loved this car. Had a doll of Casper the Ghost on the front of the roof and picture of Casper on the rear , saying " Follow Me" and Kip would ring the bell on the roof after it won a race. -- by Mean Gene.

[​IMG]

18. silvermist350

silvermist350

WHBO Radio Station's - Bill Polk at Tampa's Golden Gate Speedway, Tampa, Florida - circa 1965 - Bill (right) presents a trophy to the driver........(Photo courtesy Earl Polk) Bill's son. [​IMG] .

Bill (right) presents a trophy to the driver, Bernard McElwain, while assistant starter Red Gray (left) looks on. Bernard was a regular at Golden Gate in the early 60s and won his share of races. Look close it seems the roll bars were square tubing. Which was outlawed later..inline 6 cylinder chevy engine.. These car's were called Class " B 's " on Friday nights and sum raced the same cars on Saturday night in the Sportsman Class at Golden Gate.. by Mean Gene.

19. JBull

JBull
    from NY

The Soucy Bandit that Troyer built was a really neat car. I had to dig up my Maynard Troyer album to find a few more pictures. Here are a few. The shovel nose as George Meade calls it probably gave the car a ton of downforce. It was my recollection that Nascar outlawed that and made Maynard change it to more conventional front tin work. You can see the nose in the first four shots. The last three shots with the red and the gold on the car are after the changes were made to the front of the car. That's Maynard racing with Jerry Cook in the #38 and with his son Kenny in the #9 in the last photo.

The color photos are Fred Smith photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. almost 300 pages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. 875,085 hits! Must be some kind of HAMB record.

22. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Some Old All Star Shots. Might need some help from some of our dirt brothers on the unmarked ones....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#99 Bob Malzahn? Maynard Forette? and ?

[​IMG]

Frankie Schneider in the #2 and ? in the #26

[​IMG]

Will Cagle in the #24 and ? in the #7

[​IMG]

Jim Shampine in the #8, Malzahn in the #99? and ? in the # $$

[​IMG]

23. mikemat18

mikemat18
    from howell

The 80 is Joe Gallini

24. mikemat18

mikemat18
    from howell

The 15 is Vinny allini at Wall

25. JBull

JBull
    from NY

A few more All Star shots...

Don Wayman #9? Dave Lape #22?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. mikemat18

mikemat18
    from howell

The 80 is Joe Gallini that car was one of Howard Harveys X9 Jamie drove it.
    The 15 is Joes brother Vinny Gallini at wall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.