Register now to get rid of these ads!

why must we put the same make motor in samemake body?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by teddyp, Jun 14, 2010.

1. teddyp

teddyp

i can,t understand why so many people on this site cry if you want to put a chevy in a ford or a mopar, as long as i,ve been around hot rods people put drive trains in cars cause they like them it didn,t matter if it was a mopar in a ford or chevy body or a chevy in a ford or mopar that,s old time hot rodding. school me why keeping it all one boreing make is now cool:confused:

2. PRoz

PRoz

No idea, I'm just posting to get rid of the annoying thing that says I haven't posted.

3. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Good question. I have wondered the same thing.
    Any make of tail lights, grills, trim, etc. is accepted, so why not engines....?
    A lot of real beefy brand X engines out there that make some real power.

4. roddinron

roddinron

I always laugh when someone writes "don't put a Chevy in a Ford, be different, put a Ford in a Ford!" as if he thinks there are more Fords with Chevys in them than Fords!:rolleyes:
    I've always thought the coolest thing about hot rodding was that you could have the body you want with the engine you want coupled to the tranny of choice and the rear end of choice etc. I mean hell, we're hot rodders/customizers, not restorers!
    I'm not brand loyal, I just pick the parts I like no matter who made them, and put them together to build MY car, for me at least, that's what it's all about.

5. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Got me the only cars ive ever had were chevys:D.Till i got my ford coupe so it made it easy for me.

6. skull

skull

unless its a car/truck that's worth a lot of $$$ or has a very
    special place in history, do what ya want with 'em.

both older hot rods l have, the 1950 dodge truck and the 1932 plymouth, are both chevy powered. mainly because l have so much chevy stuff laying around and l know how to work on, hop up and what parts swap easaly.

my 1957 chevy 150 and 1966 chevelle are small block chevy out of
    ease of installing.

Later :cool:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  7. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Some people just like to bitch. I build for my self

8. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I put what I want in mine... Im driving it, I got to fix it.. To each there own with there own tastes.. How ever if your restoring a gem to it original glory, that would be different..

9. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

I think everyone is trying to make the point that you don't have to shove a SBC in everything. When someone puts a SBC in a early Ford it's always been OK, now it's at the point that it just plain shows that the person is just A being cheap B not creative. I personally put a Ford in a Corvette and you would have thought the world was coming to an end.
    Van

10. 51NINETYEIGHT

51NINETYEIGHT
    BANNED

Who knows, I do know my olds will have a big 500in. caddy inbetween the frame rails soon!!!!! My dad keeps sayin just drop in a sbc but i will not! I will strive to be different. lol

11. roddinron

roddinron

That's because corvettes are supposed to be fast.:D

12. x2!! why let folks bring you down with negative vibes!!

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

X2.................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

Frank

14. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Theres a 56 Belair Hdtp in the city here with a 440 plymouth.. I like it.. the Chevy group doesnt.. I think its funny..

15. primed34

primed34

That made me giggle!

16. kustomkat

kustomkat

I am not trying to be dis-respectful, and I am one of those that has a thing about that ford in a ford, chevy in a chevy thing, and so on. This is one of those questions that is easy to know the answer to. For those that have been in the hotrod and kustom circle for any length of time, it is easy... Like mentioned earlier, the early streetrod (not hotrod) following basically made car building like building a full size model car... You could order a glass body, frame, crate motor and trans, and assemble it in the garage. Don't get me wrong, I do not want to start a penis measuring argument with anybody, this is just my opinion, as the answer to the question...

17. 10secondA

10secondA

i run small block chevy motors because of two things, if the thing breaks down out in the middle of nowhere i can find the parts, and because i want a motor that will make horsepower

18. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Yeah..I guess I've never been nice enough to care what other people do with their cars...

19. brad chevy

brad chevy

The reason you see small block chevys in most cars is this,and I know I"m going to catch hell for this but fact is fact,the small block Chevy is a survivor,the flathead Fords mostly got killed out by overheating problems,the Buicks got sent to the junkyard because of undesirable bodystyles,Olds never had a descent engine until they came out with the 350 as did Pontiac,Mopar had some good smallblocks but the bodies of their cars rusted away to fast,Every make built good six bangers but the everybody wanted to go faster and here we are today,2010 and in my opinion Chevrolet still makes the best smallblock on the market.I"m ducking now cause I know the guns are being loaded.

20. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

Doesn't bother me ...... !! Run whatever make the wheels go round, then drive the heck out of it !!!!

21. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

There's a green '69 Camaro with a Mopar 440 runnin' around town. Most Mopar guys dig it, Chevy guys not so much...

22. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

the problem is the 350/350 combo, it's boring and i'd stake my life on it that their's been a 350/350 combo in everything from a fire truck to a cord, it's BORING,
    i don't care if the brands match, i DO care if it's been done to death, put a
    lambo 575 in your nash or a harley V twin in your MG, or a packard flathead strait 8 in your mustang, i don't CARE! just as long as it's not boring.. hell... do a 350/350/350 combo, just stop the boring crap.

23. 10secondA

10secondA

well speak for you own 350/350 combo my 350/4l60 combo in my 31 model a pu gets driven around 10000 miles a year, gets 16 mpg, and has driven to the track run 11.23 at 120 mph and driven home you may think its boring to look at but it is far less boring to drive than a heavy ass packard flathead motor in a mustang, although i realize not everyone cares about performance as much as they care about what everyone else thinks about there vehicle

24. roddinron

roddinron

I don't think too many guys here are gonna agree with your assessment. I made a crack about the ford in a corvette, but the truth is, every company made some damned good engines, including Ford, and nothing thrills me more than to see someone cut up one of those damned corvettes, the guys that do that are my heroes!
    The main reason SBC is so popular, is that they are the cheapest, easiest way to go fast. If it's a hot rod with an open engine bay, they can be boring to look at, but when the hood is closed, they still make a LOT of sense.

25. I am a mopar guy so i tend to lean towards Mopar engines... i drive Mopars too so its the logical choice for me. now if I were to get some non Mopar car i would still put a Mopar engine in it. Hmm i should put a 340 in a mustang lol that would surely piss some people off.. me likey but also if I got a smokin deal on some other good engine I would use that instead.. just like my old jag with the sbc in it. boy that pissed off some uppity jaguar owners lol

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  26. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

The cheapest easiest deal has been said so many times that most believe it, but it just isn't true. I build hotrod motors for a living and the customers coming through the door don't have a clue. I can easily build a SBF with whatever HP the customer wants for less than a SBC. This is fact not fiction. Just had a guy I explained this to, that was building a 32 Ford,he thought for a minute and said he still wanted a SBC because the Ford had to many bolts to remove the water pump. For a Chevy guy this is a very valid point. Cant fix stupid.
    Van

27. all this talk makes me wanna build a pontiac 301 turbo motor. and stick it in umm a deuce coupe

29. slammed49

slammed49

I agree...I personally have a 1952 Ford F1...305 SBC...Volare front clip and rear...talk about mixing it up!

30. mopargnome

mopargnome

The whole "You can get parts anywhere" thing the chevy guys says pisses me off. Your telling me that if you have a small block mopar in your ride and you need a water pump you cant go to autozone and get one? C'mon, get creative with your ride! And if it wasnt for the outrageous cost, everyone would have a hemi in their car because they just plain kick every other motors ass!