Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tanks Inc. (I am NOT impressed!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomolds, Jun 14, 2010.

1. kustomolds

kustomolds

Anyone ever deal with these people??? I am NOT impressed and will NEVER do business with them again!

I placed an order on Thursday morning and asked for a total on the bill, couldnt give me one since they didnt know what shipping was going to be. Couldnt tell me when it would ship, CLOSED on Fridays and after a phone call today (Monday afternoon), STILL COULDNT TELL ME WHEN IT WOULD SHIP!

I passed up Four or Five other places and went directly to these guys. I will never make that mistake again!

2. Yes, they are a goofy company, been discussed here quite a few times so you are not alone.

3. kustomolds

kustomolds

Sorry. I should have done a search, but I am just PISSED RIGHT NOW!

Told me that this is their busy season and it MIGHT ship by Wednesday.... SERIOUSLY!?!?! WTF!!! If this is your busy season, WHY are they closed on Fridays?

4. barnescole

barnescole

try buying from one of their vendor's (yogis). you'll have better luck.

5. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I got a Tanks, gas tank from one of their vendors, no problems and the tank is nice.

sorry to hear about the customer service.

6. Huckster59

Huckster59

i got a tank from them ,they gave me a est. price ,when i got the tank it was actualy cheaper ,nice product but made oversea,s

7. 49coupe

49coupe

I found their hours odd too, but I'm happy with their product which I got through a Canadian vendor in under 2 weeks. I find anytime you are dealing with niche suppliers, especially in a hobby, different rules apply. I agree that their customer service could have been better.

Honestly, though its extremely rare for me to order anything for my '49 Ford and have it the next day. Macs and Dennis Carpenter are notoriously out of stock on stuff for weeks, which is a piss off when 2 or 3 of the parts are needed to reassemble something you need to get the car back on the road.

8. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I have one in my 54F100, bought it from a dealer in Az cheaper that I could from Tanks, and Tanks shipped it direct from 30 miles up the road where they are located. Their main focus is to sell through dealers.

9. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

What he said ^^^^^^^^^

Bad customer service but great tanks! Buy from a dealer, most big manufactures don't deal with the general public, and if they do you usually pay more.

10. Bought 2 of them, one through a dealer and the second direct from TANKS, easy experience both times and the dealer was a few bucks cheaper.

"passed up 4 or 5 other places..." yet you didn't bother to do any research DAMN you must be very a busy man

11. i had no idea that Tanks sold direct. i have their tanks in both my `28 tudor and `36 , plus i have installed at least a dozen in others cars..always went through a dealer

12. The 41Dude

The 41Dude

I bought one 6 or 7 years ago for my 41, but it was thru a vendor, got it fast a good price and it has never given me any problems.

13. Anderson

Anderson

They aren't closed mondays and Fridays, they just don't answer the phone. I think there is only one guy there most of the time anyway.

14. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I ordered on from them last summer about this time. Ordered it on Monday and had it in the car and took off on a road trip on Fri. Nice product and good service here.... your mileage may (and apparently does) vary.

15. zzford

zzford

I have bought a couple of tanks from this source: DocsKustom.com
    Great products and service plus they can make you any kind of tank you need.

16. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

I bought a tank about 6 months ago and they were Great... I ordered it and got it within 2 weeks. Good Quality too. They were very nice on the phone.
    Did you tell them you wanted it Overnight?
    Most things that I order come within 2 weeks. Seems like a reasonable time from the time I place the order to the time it is at my door.
    No Complaint here from me.
    Now If you told them you NEEDED it delivered within a week, and THEY AGREED BEFORE YOU ORDERED IT that would be a totally different story.
    Thursday and it is only Monday now...........

17. yblock292

yblock292

i got screwed by them, ordered saddle tanks for a model i was was building for a guy, told them i was using a TCI chassis, told me it would be fine.Don't remember what it was but would not work i think it was the radius rod brackets, made me pay shipping to ship it back and charged me a restocking fee..........Only takes once for me.

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doesn't sound to be worth getting upset about yet.

19. NiteOwlChris

NiteOwlChris

I have one in my 54 chev...I love it no problems. I ordered it from them they shipped it within a week, never had an issue. I guess I didnt need a shipping quote, I just pull the trigger like Clint Eastwood.

20. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I called them Tuesday for a grommet for the vent on my tank in the 52 and also a new pick up tube it showed up on Thursday and even though he asked for my CC number there was no charge for the parts.

I'd have to disagree with kustomolds on this one.

When I bought the tank 6 years ago is was here within 4 days.

B:)B

21. Bob, my grommet and pickup went on the 54 bad as well. What symptoms did it cause your car other than leaking?

22. Wow complaining after 4 days and two of them are the weekend. I think people forget that we are in a tiny hobby and a number of the vendors we are dealing with are very small operations. This is not like ordering an ipod from Bestbuy.:rolleyes:

23. trmel3

trmel3
    from new jersey

as said before use one of their vendors.they have a excelent product. but crappy customer sevice. i have one of there tanks its hard to beat the quality

24. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I purchased from them in April and found them to be OK, maybe a little odd with their open times, but it was a smooth deal.
    I opted to go direct as I needed guidance and figured that a dealer may not have the knowledge on all items since I was placing a large order.

25. Bought two from them. I screwed the vent pipe up and they replaced it for free. They get my vote.

26. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

I have known the owner since he started it, as with all we dont know the whole store, the owner and his crew are very very service minded but us car people and I say US yours truly some times can make you nutz theres a reason John has been sucsessful and it is not cause he is a dope, but he is getin up there towards retirement age, wait till the company sells ....... hopefully someone with his smarts will pick it up

27. i have one in a '54 f100 fits great, an original style in a '32 coupe and a trunk style in a '32 roadster. don't remember having any problems ordering from them. the one in the f100 i got from a vender, but the other two came direct.

28. It's a sign of the times. We have become the Microwave Society where we want everything NOW. Reality is in our little insignificant hobby (although we don't see it that way) that many of these businesses are just mom and pop shops, run by other Rodders that aren't necessarily great business people. Just regular Rodders making some cool stuff, and they can't react the way a major retailer does, but we have become accustomed to that level of service and forget that the little guy can't, or at least doesn't, work that way. I don't know anything about Tank's operation but I have always suspected that they aren't a real big operation. The other thing is many manufacturers aren't really geared toward dealing with the public, that's why they have dealers, and they just aren't very good at dealing direct.
    I have to wonder if the OP needed a tank that fast why wait till the last minute on such a major part?

29. Domn8r

Domn8r
    from Helena, MO

I've bought two, each from them direct. The first about 4 years ago with no problems, the second I ordered the day after memorial day this year and had it at the door of my house the following Monday. Again no issues with them.

30. I sold a lot of their tanks when I worked at the shop. The poly ones always leak around the sender and as Bob and I mentioned the grommets rot away. But, they have a pretty good product regardless. They always have had some screwy phone/business hours. You were safe calling at 2:53PM on the second Tuesday of the month ;)