Register now to get rid of these ads!

repair bearings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevpickup, Jun 14, 2010.

1. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

Hey Guys,

Anyone used repair bearings on their rear axle? Any issues? Do's and Dont's? I have never fitted one before and just wanted to know if I'm wasting my time? My other option is repairing where the hardened steel is worn, or replacing (not a good option as its an American part and I'm in Australia.) Any help much appreciated.

2. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Ummm I wouldn't use them unless your axles are bent. They're not really REPAIRing anything...just an offset bearing for those cheap bastards who don't want to put the replacements on.

Don't chintz out man, losing a wheel bearing/axle is a son of a bitch especially when it bends the axle and you live in Australia.

I'm just saying.

3. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Aw come on Bob, conflicting information doesn't help!

Tie breaker anyone?

4. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

its a relocation bearing - basically moves the rollers onto a part of the axle that is not worn from where the old bearings started failing. Only detected it cause tranny oil leaked onto my drum brakes and ruined them. Axle is a early 70's firebird or something, but of course replacements here are impossible to locate. I imagine not a whole lot of them in good condition there either. Make matters worse I didnt fit the rear end so I have no idea what its out of!! Best guess is a firebird.

5. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

That's why they're called OFFSET bearings.............

Are you SURE your axle is worn or are you just saying it is because you haven't pulled the axle yet?

I'm gunna say your axle isn't worn, I'm gunna say that your original bearings are junk and so is the SEAL that goes behind that dorky ass flange. If I were you, I'd get the number either off that rear end OR pull an axle, and get the number off the bearing itself and then order them from a CarQuest or offline.

I've replaced a GOB of axle bearings on WAY older rear ends then that and NEVER had an axle worn. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I'm just saying I think you should stick to what's supposed to be on there and not what you think might fix it. Other thing is, with an offset bearing, I've heard too many stories of it throwing the axle off center and then causing problems later.

Just my opinion, take it or leave it.

6. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

I pulled it - it's definitely worn through. Both sides have it, but one in particular is pretty bad. Good idea on IDing the rear (now I feel dumb.) Maybe your right, better to do it right the first time.

7. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Nooooooooo see you were just testing my knowledge at 1230AM. :D

Pay me now or pay me a WHOLE BUNCH later. I've tried the cheap way on those bearings on my 58 Chevy because they didn't make taper and the stock balls were SO expensive.

It's a damn good thing I'm an idiot and don't value my time.:p:D

My next idea would be, if the axles are shot, identify the rear and post it here on the HAMB because sometimes and I very may be one of those people, but sometimes there's a person here on the HAMB with a book that will tell you what other handy dandy axles will fit as well. Just for shits ya know?:D

8. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

Thanks for the ideas - I'll hit you up when I get a chance to look for a part number

9. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Right you know my number.:p

10. band aids.
    bite the bullet.
    axles, bearings, seals.

that is a PROPER fix.

11. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

HEY AUSSIE...BRANDY work's on farm machinery, YES i know she didn't mention it. but you can take her advice to the bank! HELL brandy i learned something today, THANK'S BABY SISTER...POP.

12. We always called them axle saver bearings and it allows you to set your bearing on a fresh portion of the bearing surface.

I have used them without problems. Figure out where they need to land and put them on. Usually a bearing heater is your best bet for putting them on. But I have used a press also and even a punch and a hammer in a pinch. The last option is only a good idea if you have no other options.

13. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Pffft hahahaha you are crazy! I'm just a mushroom....you know, in my corner and all.:D