Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedster buildup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ap1930, Sep 13, 2009.

1. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

a good friend of mine is a limey who lives in slovakia. you guys just cant stay home, can you?! haha

2. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

the speedster came out really nice , i feel guilty for not opening my toolbox and building something after reading this thread , great build

3. rockguy92

rockguy92

Very, very nice work. I was looking at the bottom of your body work a couple of pages back and it looks like you could float that thing across the big pond (LOL). Seriously, an incredible job, masterful workmanship.
    The Rock

4. ap1930

ap1930

I decided to align my front wheels today. With no fancy wheel alignment gauges I decided to make my own ones.
    I got some 3" x 1 1/2" timber screwd on a piece of plywood at right angles to the timber. I measures 6" from there and marked a line on both pieces of timber. On one side I marked a white line the same distance as the other side away from the wheel. I then cable tied them to the wire wheels and made sure they were horizontal. I then sat a laser level on the end of the timber with the laser 6" from the wheel facing the other piece of timber. The steering bar was adjusted until the laser was exactly on the line I marked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then discovered I had a right angle thingy which fits into the end of the spirit level so I clamped the spirit level onto the timber flush with the side of the wood and aligned the laser with the line. I also checked with a tape measure and the distance between the timber was the same at the back and from of the wheel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I get the time I intend to make metal versions of these alignment gauges.

5. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Archie, Pure genius!

Nick.

6. ap1930

ap1930

Cheers Nick
    I dont see why it wont work and as I said I will make metal ones eventually and try it out. :cool:

7. ford5t1

ford5t1
    from usa

wow like to know what you think are basic tools.......damn nice.

see ya

8. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Nice speedster ap1930.... Excellent work... Looks like a fun ride...

9. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

LOL,you never cease to amaze me!
    Give me a shout if you need any materials for that little project.

10. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

Beautiful, amazing, inspiring...And a lot of other adjectives, too! As we say around here...Ya done good!

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very nice work!! Cool little Speedster, for sure... thanks for sharing it with us.

Malcolm

12. howco

howco

For a first attempt at sheet metal fabrication, I would not hesitate to say you are very gifted, a real natural......I also like the paint, i can just see her slamming through those country roads......

13. ap1930

ap1930

Finally got the hood sides painted and fitted. I got some D section aluminium and made some side trim for the hood. I thought I would buy some pinstriping stuff and attempt to put a stripe on between the white and blue paint - man I take my hat off to these pinstriping geniuses - it was a nightmare, lol.

I got it insured during the week, got it through its minstry of transport test today and took it out for a short spin. One or two bits to do and I will go for a proper road test this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Fuckin' 'ell Archie,is there anything you can't do?!!
    Nice job mate.

15. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

A very nice first attempt at forming sheet metal! I think you did a very good job on the chassis. Paint looks great. All in all a nice little car.

David

16. freebird101

freebird101

awesome car, the metal work is amazing

17. rodger6494

rodger6494

You make me sick! With all your attention to detail,and well thought out design. Have you no shame? Great! Just when I was feeling good about my skill level,you go and show me what a novice I am. I hope you're proud of yourself. ;)

18. All I can say is "WOW!".

19. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Congrats on passing your MOT.

20. now go clock up some miles in that sucker. awesome.

21. PHQ2

PHQ2

This comment leaves me in AWE!

22. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Returned home on Saturday afternoon to find a surprise visitor on the drive.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looks even better in the flesh.Congrats on a great build,Archie.
    Mark.

23. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Archie, Man that looks bloody GREAT!

Nick.

24. Thats ace Archie
    Great fab work

25. I don't know how I missed this one. Great build up, well documented, & a fantastic end result. Just one question - what's the windscreen frame from??

26. ap1930

ap1930

The screen is from a '36 Ford - chopped, sectioned and top and sides filled in to make it a square shape - if that makes sense. The screen posts were made fom several bits of metal welded together.

Thanks for posting the pictures Mark - it will save me doing it, lol.
    AP

27. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Posted them 'over the road' as well.Thanks for the visit,even 'er in doors was impressed!:D

28. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

This is a top notch build. Very inspiring. Thanks to you i now have one more item on my bucket list.

If you dont mind me asking, How wide is your body at its widest point? Overall length of the entire car? I am just trying to picture the actual size of it

29. verry nice
    congrad on MOT
    when i was over there bought a old Jag to drive around . MOT was quite hard to pass exhaust was to surface rusty not burnt out
    waterpump was weaping
    surface rust on 1 brake line

30. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL