Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moonshine hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Found this one at a local cruise today. Some stories are too good to be true, but I got into this one. This coupe got it's 2nd owner in 49 with the original 60 flattie still going strong. But when an almost new 49 Caddy convertible got totalled, the swap was made. Linked to a Lincoln stick and two speed rear, it's rumored to have run shine, but no outright confessions were made. But cool to think so.

It was parked in 70 with a lot of attempts to buy over the next 30 years, but a friendship turned it over to one who is honoring it's survival in the requested way.

True or false, right or wrong, believe it or not. This is real grass roots hot rodding to me.

Attached Files:

2. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

3. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

A real piece of history....whether documented or not!!
    What a thrill it would be to drive that ol' Gal.

4. GRNONION50

GRNONION50
    from Oakwood

if the cars could only talk, what kind of stories would this one have. very cool

5. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

After 30 years of sitting in a shed, all it took was a carb rebuild and gentle restart. Fuel clean and brake redo and on the road again. It's now owned by a very nice couple taking their grandson out for the day which is another reason I'm a believer.

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Jerry. I did a slide-show presentation in a culture class at college last year. I chose to focus on the Appalachian culture. Early farming, mining, grain-alcohol production, then of course segued into my favorite part...the moonshine-runner's cars and how it led to stock-car racing, Junior Johnson's involvement, influenced hotrodding, etc. Showed some cars similar to that '37. My classmates loved it, but more importantly, so did my professor.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  7. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

love it. you really are not going to find paper documentation of a shine runner- the only history is on the car. that looks like a shine runner if ever I saw one.

great car.

8. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

Whether a real shine car or not, it still has some great history.

9. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

let me tell a story, I can tell it all, about a man who ran illegal alcohol........

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Looks like the real McCoy to me. I've got Harrison's old '38 Deluxe and it sure has the appearance of an old shine runner. A couple of light side swipe scrapes and patina'd paint, peeling chrome...........you can imagine it being persued by a county sheriff down the dirt back roads.

Frank

11. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

really?! A college course? And THATS how you spell segued?.... Really? I feel better about my dropout status anyway. :) seriously, true shine runner or not, that's 1 helluva car!

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drats! I told myself, "Do not mention college and misspell a word in the same post, Doofus." Did it anyway.:eek: I knew that was the wrong spelling...forgot to change it. Gonna be watching for spelling errors from you, gladeparkflyer...and when it happens...I'll be there!:mad: :D

13. It gained some of those scars while I owned it Frank. ;)

How could you own that car, in the south, & NOT run some some hooch?!!?!?

Can you say "BUCKET LIST"?

JH

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

HAHA!!! You speak the truth Jim.............thanks for stepping up with the "confession" on the scars. It's getting hydraulic brakes as we speak. AND............a '57Chevy 301 is sitting on the engine stand for it's next transformation. Figured if I can make it stop I should be able to make it go. Actually it will be sad to take the 24 stud out as it's the sweetest running flathead I've ever owned.
    The saga continues.:)

Frank

15. Rocket Girl 88

Rocket Girl 88

Really cool car and good pics of it. Where's Robert Mitchum when you need him? I know, I know....he drove Fords but still, this would sure have fit right in.

16. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

17. My plan was to put a 283 in that car but the Flathead ran so good I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Shoulda just done it.

If I had, I'd still be driving that car. It is an awesome old car. I still miss/love it.

JH

18. I got a home for that flatty!;)

19. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

that thing is cool.........john

20. 36tbird

36tbird

Great thread and it is gratifying to see that I am not the only anal retentive, spelling bee HAMB'er.:p

I've heard of a moonshiner's museum. Is it in southern Georgia or Tennessee? I heard it has a '40 sedan delivery on display. I have one so that interests me. Also, I cannot get it here in Texas, but Junior Johnson offers moonshine that has a cool '40 Ford logo on the bottle.

21. 067chevy

067chevy

I like the story. Very cool.

22. 454navyss

454navyss

real or not it's cool in my book

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The engine swap isn't scheduled for awhile but when it does we can talk. The wife and I have long wanted to see the country out your way so maybe you could front us some gas money and the flathead could magicly appear in your driveway.

Frank

24. diamond dave

diamond dave

that reminds me of the time me and snowman went over to texarkana to bring back 400 cases of coors. er , um . no wait, that was a movie.

that car looks as close to the real deal as i ever seen. thanks for sharing.

25. ThunderRoad Garage

ThunderRoad Garage
    from missouri

moonshine or not... its all hot rod. and i think almost even better part of the story is the grandparents cruising their grandkids around in it. those cats are cool.

26. Rot'nRodder

Rot'nRodder

Shine runner or not.....it sure as hell looks the part. I love a car kept in it's original glory.

27. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Original glory is a good way to describe it as I'm sure it was something to reckon with in it's day.

28. Cool as hell. Moonshine runner or not.
    My great uncle was a Farmer/moonshiner down in Kansas during proabition. Always wonderd if he had any 'shine runners.