Register now to get rid of these ads!

Getting spiders out of your car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MarkKoch, Jun 12, 2010.

1. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

I was reading a post on here about snake issues in/arround cars and the topic of spiders kept coming up.I want to know any information you have on removing/killing and keeping spiders from returning to your car.Lavender oil.Diatomaceous Earth.Ceder shavings w/ tee tree oil and lavender oil are a few products/things that may work.Please specify if there pet friendly if you post anything .I will run a little experiment to see what works and what doesnt and will keep you posted.(I park my car out side and have to battle spiders every weekend when its time to work on the car)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

ok , go get a "bug bomb" , close all the windows , cover it with a car cover to the ground , set off the bug bomb . check it a day or two ................. steve

3. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

Bomb?! Sounds fun! Where can you buy that at? I think Billy the exterminator used something like that on his TV show.

4. cadillac nut

cadillac nut

3 bug bombs 1 inside towards dash ,2 out side ,1 in front undermotor , 1 in rear .... trap car off , use heavy planks of wood or something to make a half ass seal all around the car ......good luck .....

5. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i would go to places like lowes , home depo , wal mart , etc .............. steve

6. donnie

donnie
    from NC

3?

I hear putting snakes in the car will keep them out.

7. indyjps

indyjps

All home warehouse stores have the spray pesticide, dont know if it will harm metal but you could spray it around your car/ on your car.

Diazanon and several other chemicals are granule and also available at all home stores, you could surround the ground around your car.

dont have pets so I dont keep up with the pet interaction of these products, Ive used all of them at different times

8. sic944t

sic944t
    from ohio

i think spiders are your buddies and they love old things i swear my ford was a spider farm unless you live in a place with black widows in that case F those bastards hahaha

9. cadillac nut

cadillac nut

why take chances unless u get good seal but them 8 leggers can hide every where, not afraid of spiders just spider bites , they can f*#k up yer day or more ....

10. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

I little more info I just got-dried lavender,Can put in a nylon stocking tied up inside your car and lavender oil -dilute and use in a spray bottle for underneath of car.Will definitely try this as it will be super safe and will smell purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdy :) lol

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  11. indyjps

indyjps

let us know if it works or how long it lasts.
    My wife flips out about bugs / spiders, Id prefer not to use so many chemicals around the house

12. No,toads are for spiders,snakes are for getting rid of the toads , mongooses will get rid of the snakes.No, I don't know how to get rid of mongooses.

13. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

I will most definitely,I going to start my little experiment tomorrow w/ the lavender and will post my results

14. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

I heard mongooses make good copilots lol

15. Drier sheets :cool:

16. brad chevy

brad chevy

The lavender works but the dryer sheets work better.if you spend all that money on bombing it,as soon as you air it out its home for new spiders.

17. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

Set the interior on fire?
    N.N.

18. Ob1

Ob1

dryer sheets attract spiders...

19. 666Irish

666Irish

Ob is correct. Dryer sheets are for bees and wasps. They do tend to attract spiders. I hung dryer sheets in my shed starting a few years ago, haven't had bees or wasps since, but the spiders use them as anchor points for their webs! LOL.

I have a buddy that owns Bob Holdens 1966 Bathurst winning Mini, fully restored. He had a HUGE spider problem. He got a spider powder at a hardware store and basically drew a ring around the car with it. He hasn't seen one in the car since he did that.

Don't have a name on it, but I know it exists.

20. pdq67

pdq67

What about a can of moth-balls?

Either Naphtha or PDCB type. Just punch some holes in the can and place inside.

pdq67

21. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

From what Ive read moth-balls are bad for you( a few people mentioned that in the thread about snakes)

22. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

UPDATE-----So I got this organic,non-toxic insecticide(need to be safe for my dog) and wanted to wait a bit to see how it worked after I applied it.Here are the results-I left all the spiders where they were(from the ground to the chassis of the car,everywhere).I went out two days later and about 90% are gone.I'm happy with that,Also I have had wasp around the car,couldn't find the nest....well there dead to,bugs,spiders were all dead around the car and some other insects.Very happy.It does have a slight oder,a Little like ceder.Its called ECOSMART got it at walmart

23. farmtruckin

farmtruckin

My two year old will come help you out. He'll have all the spiders smashed and eaten within ten minutes! :D

24. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

My pit bull is scared of spiders....and turtles lol,your son is fearless lol

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yep, or mice.

26. ak's-r-us

ak's-r-us
    from oregon

doyourownpestcontrol.com

i "had" a really bad wasp/spider problem, looked up the stuff billy uses on tv, got the generic version of it.....cyper wp as i recall... something like $36 for a jar that makes 24 gallons. its pet/people safe... and kills just about every flying/biting pest around the house.... including ticks.

27. Deuces

Deuces

I had a snapper that ate grasshoppers....

28. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

Update- the Ecosmart worked great until the heavy rains came and it dissolved-So I just thought I would deel with it-2 weeks ago I got bit by something while working on the car-became very sick,heavy chest,numb arms,extreme fatigue,felt like I was going to pass out,my speech became slurred,heart rate all over the place-I thought I was going to have a heart attack-went to the ER,they ran many blood test etc.Ct reveled I had a sinus infection,x-ray lung infection(most likely from my allergies)-Doctors also suggested lyme disease so the antibiotic would take care of that to.BUT they couldn't explain the other symptoms.So I'm feeing better and went to work on my car late late night-and came across 2 black widows WTF--theres possibly what bit me and explains symptoms I was experiencing.I have an exterminator coming out in the next few days.I have been working on this car since Jan and have just now scene the black widows-I'm lucky it wasn't worse-Now I know what there webs look like and to stay the fuck away-this was pretty scary,never felt like that before-hope some others can learn from this-there was a lot of joking about this topic,not to funny now

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  29. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

Pure eucalyptus oil works well. It is strong smelling, but it clears the nasal passages, and bugs/insects don't like it.

OFF TOPIC. Apologies in advance:
    Mmmmmmmm, yes please - and photos are nice:

[​IMG]

Bob Holden/Rauno Aaltonen's Mini, at the mountain, 1966.

30. RQuantz

RQuantz
    from Las Vegas

This is a great thread so far. My car sits in my little 1-car garage and I tinker with it when I can. But every day there is a new spider web on it somewhere. I hate spiders... Arachnophobia I guess you can call it. Plus, here in the desert we have some nasties and I just can't keep a clear mind to work on the car knowing what might be hiding and waiting for me.