Register now to get rid of these ads!

more poor quality parts , speedway again

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skidmarks, Jun 9, 2010.

1. nutajunka

nutajunka

As with anything you buy today, it's pretty much up to you in the end to inspect the part for fitment and quality. A large part of the auto parts industry has fallen into the crapper.

2. Speedway sold all the front end parts, except the rack, IIRC.

Witnesses, driving behind the car, reported it suddenly dropped
    down on the right front before it went out of control.

Since the spring was still attached to the perch bolts on both sides,
    what failure could have caused this loss of control ?

Questions that come to my mind:
    Does Magnum have a problem with their foundry ?
    Does magnum have a problem with their Plater ?
    Does Magnum have a problem with counterfeit parts
    being sold as Magnums ?

3. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Devil's advocate:

If some part of the steering broke and one wheel suddenly jerked and took a digger into the concrete, couldn't the front end of the car make a sudden movement in any direction or angle?

I'm not convinced that a guy following behind a moving car could reliably tell exactly what was going on on the other end. Sudden drop versus jerking to one side with body roll, etc.

Something definitely happened and the poor guy lost his car and ended up hurt, but there are a lot of assumptions about the axle.

4. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I am a GM partsman, and I see all kinds of parts fail right out of the box, and they are manufactured all over the place, including Canada, USA.

I've for the majority of the parts I get from Speedway, get what I expected. I know its cheaper to buy there and expect the quality will match what I'm paying for. Don't expect steak and lobster at mcdonalds.

Speedway has always come through for me one way or another, either with exchange or refund. In fact I got an unsolicited gift in the mail at Christmas from them!

How's that for customer service!

5. carbking

carbking

Everyone should page up from this post and re-read the post by gofaster. As one who is in the business of the manufacture of car parts (and ALL our parts are made in the USA); I can vouch for the truth of gofaster's comments.

HOWEVER; often, one can have the choice of USA-made or foreign-made parts even in ones local auto parts store. More than once when given the choice of brands, and demanded the USA-produced brand; OTHER customers in the store have demanded the same thing.

All of us have to make our choices.

Jon.

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Have purchased from Speedway for lotta years and always found them willing to do whatever was necessary when an order produced the wrong part or when It just didn't work out in your application. Never had a part fail after proper installation, but considering their willingness to make things right otherwise, I have to believe till I personally experience the contrary, that Speedway will make it right.
    Now for a little tech tip to get the brake fluid out of those brake linings.Was a time was all it took was a good wipe/washdown with liberal amounts of carbon tet. now illegal to sell. There may be still available a solvent to do the job as well ar carb. tet., but I am unaware of one.
    Another method that has worked for me is to go to Goodwill and buy a big pot for the stove, large enough to hold the parts. Get Arm& Hammer washing soda and fill the pot with water and disolve as much of the washing soda as will disolve in it. Put it on the stove and bring to boil, take the previously cleaned and surface degreased parts and place in the water and return to boil. Take a long handled spoon and skim of the oil as it rises to the top. When you see no more oil come out of the parts you can turn off the heat and pour off the water. Then rinse the parts, in hot water if available, and place outside in full sun till they no longer appear to have wet spots.
    I've used this on bakes shoes saturated with gear lube oil as well as brake fluid. Caution: This was with rivetted linings, been leary of trying it on bonded shoes!
    I also used it to get gear oil out of a thoroughly saturated clutch disc.
    Dave

7. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Dang. We order stuff once a week anymore, and we havnt had one problem with there stuff yet.

8. skidmarks

skidmarks
    from USA

i do live in a cave, but i still dont like the fact that I AM supporting a communist country and its not by choice. i hate the fact that all thats left is a bunch of chineese made crap. is my rant going to change anything, no. but my point was to make people aware of the parts and others have pointed out were to buy american made parts . so i learned alittle and might save someone else from spending theyre money on import parts and redirect them and me to a USA made part

9. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

SKIDMARKS...hey brother don't be so hard on those comies. not everything product in CHINA is bad, only 100% of their crap is...POP.

10. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Hell it's not just speedway, The "stainless steel" brackets that came with my vintage air a/c were covered in rust 6 months after installation and we don't live in the rust belt, covered in krylon now:mad:

11. jokerjason

jokerjason

Seems to be happening alot. I bought a threaded drag link for my 33 and one side didn't even have the threads tapped!!! I guess the guy had an early 3 martini lunch or something. JOKER JASON.

12. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

man , now iam really confused . Speedway keeps sending me catalogs & i don't have a clue why .
    once , shame on them . Twice , shame on you.
    buyer beware.
    nobody said being a hotrodder was going to be easy . If they did i missed it.

13. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

I'm not but I'm sure there are a few thousand other guys out there that have been using cast Magnum axles for many many years.

14. Gene@Gearworksmfg

Gene@Gearworksmfg

I try to offer better items too, but once they hear the price, it's the imported items that get purchased. However, it's usually 1 out of 500 orders that I have a customer complain about the item. It's what the customer wants, and just like every other business out there, we need to sell-what the customer is willing to buy.

I do enjoy selling the high quality, higher end type product where the customer is informed and know exactly what he/she wants. But, those are rare.

15. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Yeah, I read the thread you linked. Still don't see the correlation between the two, or in other words, I don't think Speedway has anything to do with a broken cast iron Magnum axle other than the fact that they sold it to someone. When your Goodyear has a blow out you don't blame Joe's House of Tires do you?

I also don't see what a broken Magnum axle from Speedway has to do with this thread. OP complained about poor quality overseas product but aren't Magnums made here in the US... in California even?

16. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

I bought a tubing bender for my roll cage from Speedway. On the very first attempt to bend the tubing the jack took a crap. Sent the Chinese jack part back & got another, and another, and finally the fourth one didn't leak. No more for me.

17. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

i don't want to get off the subject of the axle but did you check out the wheel cylinder? may just need to reset the cups and they'll work fine, just had this happen to me doing the brakes on the wife's 63 galaxie. got in a hurry didn't inspect the parts and when i hooked everything up drivers side front leaked like crazy.

18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

19. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Why do you think Speedway is called "the Walmart of hot rod parts?" BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAP.Duh!

20. amen!

21. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

WTF, if most everyone did not buy on PRICE ALONE we wouldn't have so much CHEAP SHIT in the marketplace.

You can say what you want about "Speedy Bill" and "WalMart", but many "smart" retailers give the people what they want, unfortunately what consumers want is CHEAP SHIT...

The problem is the condition of our culture, the fact that cheap shit is increasingly the only thing available, is the CONSUMERS FAULT. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  22. nh-lead-man

nh-lead-man

A friend of mine bought a clutch fork for a small block from Speedway,installed with a hydrolic slave cylinder couldnt seem to get it to operate correctly! Really checking and rechecking through every angle and observing its working! AMAZING this piece of crab was BENDING A freaken piece of junk was made in CHINA!!And this builder was not looking for any deals or junk. Rather depending on this vender to provide a Quality part, Another Junk parts supplier. Wait till that gets out to guys in our area.

23. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

We get at least one box a week from Speedway. Still after all these years, not one problem with anything. Nothing, EVER!

24. Gee one thing is good about Speedway...they ship items fast and they have the best looking shipping boxes...I bet the boxes are made in the USA....:cool:

25. dudley32

dudley32

If you don't know how to modify parts ...Just pass on Speedway...d32

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  26. LOL... I alwayz think of speedway as ricing out a hotrod.. lol. I realize shits tight now days and there cheap and we love to drive but some times you jus gotta draw a line..

27. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Yeah..Charlie I feel your pain...but I still get my stuff from them too. Bummer about the fluid all over the place. I would have thrown that thing across the shop.

28. terry48435

terry48435

29. slickschoppers

slickschoppers
    from Iowa

It looks like this was a thread from 4 months ago that came back to the top....

but about that axle....

in the VW guys story he said he called speedway and they said...

BUT HE PASSED on the advice and kept the part....

wether it broke or not, speedway was willing to admit that the kit was junk. they informed him and he disregarded there advice and called the manufacturer.

seems like alot of people think that speedway has provided them cost effective parts for years with no problems.....

30. B Blue

B Blue

Why rag on Speedway? I've been buying junk American parts for over 30 years. One set of headers would not even bolt on onto the engine because they hit the fucking TRANSMISSION. That was in 1988. Blame that one on China.

Bill