Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Your Favorite 49-52 Chevrolet

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Jun 11, 2010.

1. @Old-Soul: yes that's it. That picture was taken at its former home in San Diego where it had been built by Kyle Phillips.

2. Warren Veiner's 1949...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
    gsnort likes this.
  3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Of coarse the last two are '54's and not 1949-1952's so I would delete them form your post Mitchell.

4. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

There we have it, my favorite was built by Kyle Phillips and is owned by Lowtech. :cool:

5. I too wanted to build a delivery with sedan long doors. I got the delivery and scored a driver's side door but never found a good passenger's side door. My car had been hit hard in the side, wrinkling the floor all the way to the tranny hump. Decided it wasn't a good candidate for a long-door graft and sold it off but deliverys are still my favorite.
    BTW, the rear bumper is a one piece 52 Pontiac with a 49 chevy license plate hooptie on it..had to delete 3 inches on either side where the bumper sides met the lower quarters....

Attached Files:

6. nail-head

nail-head

The green '50 on the left is the one I was trying to find earlier.

Damn near an exact replica of my dad's, but his was a slightly darker shade of green.

7. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I sure like the one Bass is building....

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm a hot rod guy through and through. never could figure out the why of customs - still can't. If I was turned loose on a '49 - '52, It would probably come out pretty close to Pat Ganahl's green '52. I do have to say though, that chopped maroon coupe that both Tom Davison and Lowtech posted has made me think about crossing the line....

9. Anderson

Anderson

The Valencia Chevy is and will always be my favorite. This one is far milder, but I think it's my #2. Too bad I don't know anything about it.

Attached Files:

10. Sorry I must not have had my special pills today:)

11. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

I like the ones with tri-five buick trim :p The Valencia chevy is becoming a classic tho

12. VenomousType

VenomousType
    from Atlanta GA

good things in here.

13. redsean

redsean

Matt Severson vancouver wa

Attached Files:

gsnort likes this.
  14. I've been thinking about this, but I really can't name one as my favorite
    (besides mine):D

Each pic I look at has certain elements I like, some I don't

15. That one was featured in Kustoms Illustrated a couple years back. I don't remember which issue, but I could find out if you want.

It's so tough to pick a favorite....there have been some great ones built over the years 'cause they lend themselves to several styles of build. Obviously the customs, both mild and wild, bomb, gasser, or even hotrod.

For my favorite, it's a toss up between the Ayala/Barris built '49 Chevy for Dan Landon....

[​IMG]

Or the Father Ernst '51....

[​IMG]

It seems like so many have been influenced by these two.

And guys now are building 'em better than ever...Ian's '51, Jamcoupe's, the Valencia, Mugford's coupe, Bass' fleetline, Adrian's hardtop with the extended quarters (actually, all of the Cochino's cars), Bob K's convert, Masterson's fleetline, and so many more.

Bryan

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

My favorite unheralded Chevy of this period is Carl Cerny's '49 2door. It got some magazine coverage when it was fresh, but does not seem to be widely remembered today. Thanks to Rikster for keeping a photographic record:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As usual, I wonder what became of this beautiful and subtle car.

BigO likes this.
  17. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I think my absolute favorite of this style was a '50 fastback built by Boyd about fifteen years ago -- I even started a thread about it a while back, but nobody seems to remember it. It was very mild, with shaved trim and frenched Ford/Merc headlight doors, painted a dark solid color. He supposedly built it for himself, but had an offer he couldn't refuse. There was one magazine article about it but I've never seen it since.

18. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Was that the one with the Studebaker tailights? I remember that car, it was nice.

B:)B

19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I agree with the praise of the Ernst, Landon, Murray, and Robert House (grey fleetline from TRJ) cars. Every one was a favorite of mine at some point.

20. RatBone

RatBone

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my favorite

FlatJan, Caprice89 and Baldies like this.
  21. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Bob, I don't recall the taillights. I wish I did.

22. CrusadersNV

CrusadersNV

id have to say i like mine the best cause its exactly how i want it. but i have all the respect in the world for eveyone else's cars. theres some good lookin stuff bein built.

[​IMG]

gsnort and T-roaster like this.
  23. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The Spence Murray car, which has been mentioned but not posted. Thanks again, Rik:

[​IMG]

24. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I remember that car... very tasteful! Wasn't it a 4-door?

25. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Yes it was, and black also.

B:)B

26. John Denich

John Denich

Its now silver and black.....I am also partial to a certain Copper one also!:D

Attached Files:

27. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I myself like the Harry Bradley La Jolla, I think thats how its is Spelled.. How ever all that Ive seen on this thread are Awesome looking..

28. I've always been fond of this one. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  29. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The car that you guys are speaking of -- black 4-door, later repainted in silver/black -- is a different car than the Boyd build that I mentioned. The 4-door, which is spectacular, was a Chip Foose build for Wes Rydell. The amount of subtle work in that car is amazing -- lengthened front door, pancaked roof, sloped A-pillars. I liked it better in black, but it probably draws more attention in 2-tone.

Boyd's car was a 2-door Fleetline.

30. rtomss

rtomss

I'm not saying mine, but I like the Styleline Deluxe Sport Coupe best! I just dig the rear 3/4 view....

Attached Files:

Scott Bennett likes this.