Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do your local police bother you to no end?!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by autoworx1, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Sounds to me like you have not done any police work in those 37 years. Usually the person calling others "dick-weeds" as you put it, is the "dick-weed". Since you are against wise cracks, maybe we should make a complaint with your Department or hire a lawyer??????

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  2. nail-head

nail-head

I got my fist ticket in years recently, in my daily driver '03 Chevy pickup.

Cop was sitting on just the other side of a 45 mph speed limit sign, shooting laser back into the 35 mph zone...got me for 41 in a 35 as I was accelerating into the 45 mph zone.

Now that is dickish.

3. Last time I was stopped the LEO got a tad bit on the s***** side as he informed me that I needed to get out slowly with my hands where he could see them. He informed me that my car's VIN tag had been removed after looking at the dash with his flashlight.

I told him that I needed to show him something, opened my door and pointed to the VIN tag on the A pillar. (Car was a 1967 GM product.

He didn't believe me until I told him to call in and have the command officer look it up in the NCIC book. All VIN locations are in that.

His next question was how do I know about that book. After a few minutes of discussion incident was over.

4. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

I've been pulled over more times in rental cars than any old ride I have owned. No probs here.

5. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Yep...we get em here real bad....not a month goes by that some kid does not kill himself or an innocent bystander street racin....I had one offer to trade me his eclipse for my Buick.... had to politely decline...

6. it's a regular thing here, too. the cops really started cracking down a few years ago when two kids were street racing at 8am on a sunday morning, crested a hill with an intersection on the other side and literally split a big mercedes in half, killing the elderly woman driver.

i'm not going to defend street racing, but when i was younger, i did it too. i know it's still dangerous and illegal, but we were MUCH smarter about it back then and i don't recall anyone ever getting in a serious accident, much less killing someone. again, if you engage in street racing and something does happen, you do deserve to have the book thrown at you.

7. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Ya know I think that there are way more cars on the road now and it increases your chances of getting in a wreck... I know I did stupid car stuff in my day but I've settled down. What shocks me is the arrogance of some of the kids... I teach high school, I have for 8 years and they truly believe they can handle anything.... Case in point, I had one tell me he was going to buy a Hyabusa crotch rocket...yet the kid have never ridden a motorcycle.. I talked him into a smaller bike at first....Kids getting STI subies as their first cars and wrapping them around poles...I dunno, maybe I'm a crabby old guy now..

8. I hear you, Mike, but we've all been through that stage in varying degrees. My friends got muscle cars when they turned 16-17 back in the late '60s which were probably more dangerous than the rice rockets kids are into today.

I've got an 18 year old grandson who has visions of taking our (UK) Ford Sierra project street racing... "Sorry, kid, but any racing you do in the longroof is going to be on a track!" I remember full well what I was like and decades on will admit my stupidity in taking racing to the streets, even though I had learned racecraft before I could drive - no PS3 or X-Box then. My grandkid's experience with racing is limited to gaming consoles and he has no idea about the laws of physics.

Once we stick a header and new zorst on this wagon (of mine), I'll let him loose at the dragstrip and the odd road course and he can find out what it's all about. In the meantime, he can cruise around in his diesel pick-up.

9. I wish you had, too. :D

10. you're 100% right. my wife teaches high school spanish. kids think they're invincible and they don't think about the possible repercussions of their actions. it's tough for kids these days, i know i damn sure wouldn't want to be a teenager again today.

11. firingorder1

firingorder1

Think back guys. When you were 18 you were invincible too. We all were when we were that age. I started racing motorcyces 47 years ago. I had no fear whatsoever. I couldn't be hurt period. Today I'm a ittle more realistic but I'm still heading for El Mirage this weekend. The big difference is today the kids have access to machines (both cars and bikes) that we could only dream of. Particularly the bikes. Would I do it over? In the blink of an eye (or less). But I'd like to do it over with a few more bucks in my pocket.

12. Thats funny!

13. Can't agree with you more, firingorder - I have a loooonnnggg memory. I think of all the nonsense I got up to in my teens (mid-late '60s) and am amazed that I survived it.

The hard part I'm finding being the Older Generation, is tempering and channelling the young'uns' attitude and enthusiasm. We used to think it was pretty cool to have a car that would do 14s at the drags and now there are 4-banger rice rocket hatches that can do that off the showroom floor, and the bikes are even faster! :eek:

What's changed over here (New Zealand) is that some of the boy-racers have also taken on a violent streak and need to resolve everything with their fists or worse. In the years I street raced in SoCal, I'd see the odd punch up that usually bruised adolescent male egos rather than bodies, but nothing like some of the crap that makes the news today. The worst is when they take revenge on someone from Joe Public who takes exception to their pouring diesel on the asphalt and doing donuts late at night in front of the poor guy's house.

14. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

You are right on....I have a kid at my school, the most responsible one...who has a twin turbo fox body mustang that just sounds mean....Luckily he goes to the strip with it... The accessibility of high performance cars and bikes and the cash parents have to shower on their kids does concern... I have tech buddies who have shown me trashed sti trannies and what happens when a kid misses a shift at redline in an s2000
    (valve in head of piston) ( I woulda thought a rev limiter would have killed that engine but this is what I was told) would I have loved to have any of these toys at 16? Yes. But I grew up in and around Chicago, we all took trains... I think the easily accessible high performance machinery coupled with the increase in population on the road and the increase in distractions behind the wheel, i-pod, cell phone etc....recently in Chicago a girl killed someone as she was doing her nails while driving....well all of this has made a dangerous mix for kids.

15. Truckedup

Truckedup

Oh yeah,me and my friends back in the 60's. Then came the military draft and all that shit showing we weren't invincible as we thought.But after that it was back to being crazy for awhile more.We rode like madmen on skinny tire wimpy spoked Brit bikes at 100 mph with the poor brakes.Leaned over into turns slammin the chassis hard into the pavement and leaving a shower of sparks behind at 70 mph.Throttle pinned wide open down the two lane,the vibration from the 40 cube twin numbed your body.These kids now on crotch rockets are faster but not really crazier.................

16. calvinh

calvinh

I just sold my daily driver 92 Ford ext cab pickup to a cop. He plans to make a Lightning copy out of it complete with 351 and blower. Really cool guy but a really bad driver. When he was test driving it he took an exit ramp off the highway at about 80 in rush hour traffic. We don't get much harassment around here. I don't remember it being bad when we were younger either.

17. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Just to give you an idea of what we put up with around here, we have one local cop that backs up underneath his car port to radar people as they pass by his house. About two years ago the same cop wrote my brother a ticket because he saw that he had a quick release steering wheel and was convinced that it was illegal because, "there is no way that is safe, now sign your ticket!" Just last week I had a buddy get pulled over after a long night of fishing, cop said he was driving too slow-25mph in a 30mph zone. Now that is crazy!

As far as driving like an idiot and getting caught...well, I'm all for that. It keeps the honest guy safer. It just drives me bonkers to see law enforcement more concerned about such things as: Having one taillight, one mirror, a little rumble from the headers and/or using hand signals. I just feel like they should have bigger fish to fry than someone out for a evening cruise in a hot rod. I know we drive them for the attention but not from everyone staring while you're pulled over with the cherries lit up!

18. you're right, kids are always going to be kids.
    in my particular case, i learned to drive on a hopped up 4 speed 74 stingray, so i was exposed to a bit of power at an early age. my dad tried to teach me how to respect it and i learned later on what happens when you don't. i ended up totaling my 11 second mustang about 6 or 7 years ago racing on a back road (i'm 32 now), with my now wife in the car. we both walked away without a scratch and zero police involvement, but the car was totaled. i took it as a sign to wise up. i miss that car a ton, but it died teaching me a very valuable lesson. i still like to play around a little, but you can bet your ass i'm keeping it in check. i know so many guys still heavily involved in street racing, but i've really distanced myself since i wrecked my stang. it's just not worth it.

19. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I look at the local law inforcement a lot different than I did when I was 18, I'm 40 now and have a different respect for them now, I don't screw with them and they don't screw with me. My local K-9 drug officer is my neighbor and no one messes with my garage or my house.

20. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Drove with the black
    plates unregistered forever and had them
    follow me MANY times , then I got the thumbs up! :D

21. Ice man

Ice man

Last Laugh, LOL. Years ago my Son baught the house across the St. from us. His dog Chicko, was confused as to where he lived, so often came over, and was back and forth. Chicko was a great dog, never bothered any one, except the COPS. They wanted him tied to a tree or some where well out of sight. One day I was in my front yard and here they come, pulls in my drive way and said, WELL, WE GOT YOU NOW. BEEN WARNING YOU ABOUT THAT DOG OF YOURS, NOW ITS GONA COST YOU. In the back seat of the Cop car is a dog, aint my dog, but a dog. I asked the officer to follow me to my back yard, (behind a locked gate) There laying in the sun was Chicko, sleeping and (dreaming of being chased by the police) LOL, He said WELL WHOS DOG IS IN MY CAR. I just looked, never said a word and he got the message and left. We always had a smile for him on his rounds past the house but never heard from the locals again about Chicko. Iceman

22. Nope
    I had not put on the new sticker for this year.
    The CHP pulled me over to ask why?
    I told him I was going have the plate re-painted.
    Show him the sticker after he ran the plate number.
    All was well.
    Turned out he was MOPAR guy.

23. The Hitch Hiker

The Hitch Hiker

I got pulled for "driving your car in an area known to be used by car theives". I was 18 at the time, it was 2am and it was in the shady area of town. I was totally legal, had tax, MOT, insurance etc... and was driving sensibly. Some cops just need any excuse I guess to kill time on the graveyard shift.

24. i second that!!!!!! Cheese eaters!!!!!!

25. Firepig

Firepig

If you don't know me, don't judge me. If you think there aren't jerks in every profession, you are naive. I spent most of my career in narcotics enforcement as an officer, sgt and a lt. I'f been shot at more than once, been in the hospital three times from injuries and had to shoot someone (which isn't like tv). It's a thankless job but I loved it. I don't appreciate your comments.

26. People judge people on what they say and you said it all! Go back to watching TV.

27. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I will say I have a buddy with a 32 coupe...mopar all the way...
    He's on the local law enforcement here in town....
    It's nice to be able to ask him questions about my ride and make sure I'm legal without fear of getting a ticket....When I put car seats in the back of the 53 for my boys he was able to verify that everything was kosher..

28. They were NOT VW engines, NOT Mitsu engines, NOT Peugeot engines...they were CHRYSLER engines built in the US, Canada, and Mexico, depending on the year. I've owned and worked on plenty of them since the early '80s.

29. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

Around here the police chief races a 70 Dart and is a totally cool guy. I don't drive the '56 with the dumps open very often, but when I do the local cops just ignore me. No stupid hassles when I am driving any of my off-beat cars. In fact, I had one of my cars lay down due to an electrical issue and a local cop stopped by and hung around the car to make sure it stayed safe while I caught a ride home to fetch my truck and tow bar.

30. Contrary to what some think, they're pretty nice to me.
    I live in a small town maybe 23000 residents.
    My wife called them today to report an abandoned truck parked in front of our house since last night.
    Turns out it was stolen a few days ago from the next town over and filled up with some contraband.
    Anyhow my wife works for the town and knows all the officers, a good bunch of guys.
    They came up to investigate and then asked me to allow being fingerprinted because I opened the drivers door of the swiped vehicle before we called them. Call it stupid curiosity.
    When we invited them out to the garage out back to wait out the finger print guy to arrive they went ballistic.
    They told us they heard tales of what transpires out in the shop but had never seen it firsthand.
    Turns out the cops are gear-heads too.
    They took in all the old shit boxes, misc. projects, better cars, the '32, the '36, the Lincoln, and the old Chevelle (that really spun their cranks, these guys are in their late 20's and early 30's)
    After a few round of sodas and chips I think I've made some new friends.
    Said they'd keep an eye on the property when no one is home.
    A friendly wave from those guys is better than a hostile "PULL OVER".

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010