Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Meltdown Drags -VINTAGE DRAG Meet- at Byron Dragway-July 31st

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Falfasnightmare and I have been working on puting together a nostalgia event at Byron Dragway. Here is the flyer for the Meltdown Drags. We are welcoming any '66 and earlier Nostalgia drag cars and Hot Rods to the playground of power in Byron Illinois, Byron Dragway.

Heads up match racing to end the B.S.
    Gassers, Altereds, and Dragsters

Mark your Calendar and don't miss the action. It's not far away.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  2. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

To all.....this is also for vintage SUPERSTOCKS.....the cars shown will be doing a best 2 out of 3 match race to end some local disputes.... and of course vintage drag racing for all. Dont forget to drive your traditional Hot Rod, Custom or street car for the car show. NO BILLET, traditional style cars please....The track is IHRA, so please roll your vintage drag cars out of the shed.....you will be allowed to race!! Please let us know if your coming 100% we are matching up cars as best as we can, some of that will be up to you to find a match race on the day of the event!! Very excited for the Byron Dragstrip's generous offer to host a Vintage Drag event!! Hoping for a decent turnout so we can do it again next year!!

Updated modern race cars will be allowed in, but not allowed to race in the event.

3. Looks like fun! I don't know if I can make it:D

4. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

You better make it....that Fiat has some work ahead....supercherged flat head match race....better start tuning....

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

how many can I bring?

6. How fast can a flat head powered dragster be?

7. Tin Can

Tin Can

looks like a cool day at the drags

8. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Bob,

I hope your bringing at least 2 cars....of the fleet....LOL. Must be nice, to go....Hmmmm gasser, superstock, gasser, superstock....

9. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Paul.....I guess we will find out....count me in for tuning your 301....you know I love them!

10. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Hilborn Fuel injection, vertex mag, 471 blower pumping out high boost... all on top a 304 cubic inch stroker flathead...

Ol Flathead Denny might Just be Flat Fast, and he's aiming to shut you down!

11. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

I will help throw a tune on the fiat....flat head what the heck is that anyway....Henry Ford forgot to bolt the dam heads on.....

12. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Tuning in the pits, the first day at the track with the dragster.
    [​IMG]

13. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

I am told there will be Vintage Funny Cars on Sunday, so hopefully they are test and tuning in the pits on Saturday.

14. MODELA30

MODELA30

I might go to that show yea sounds like a great time!!!! Knuckfrom indiana. Anyone going to the scrap drive in belvidere il?

15. Are Gasser pickups allowed?

Also keep in mind that any NOT-street legal nostalgia race cars get free vehicle admission to the Shakedown this year.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  16. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

If it's an old school nostalgia hot rod, gasser, etc. (no billet, only traditional styled stuff) and it meets the 66 and older criteria, then we will not turn it away.

We are hoping to have a good amount of quality, vintage hot rods and race cars that are willing to come down and tear down a drag strip.

* Falfasnightmare is correct. The Meltdown is on Saturday. On Sunday there will be Nostalgia Funny cars running, I believe the Chi-Town Hustler is one of them. These cars will most likely be tuning in the pits and running test passes on Saturday. However, spectator admission for Sunday goes up to $25 I believe.

* Consider taking advantage of both events and stick around for the whole weekend and watch Fire Breathing Monster ROAR Down The Byron Dragway in the shadow of the Byron Nuclear Power Plant.
    -Garage built vintage DRAG machines on Saturday
    -High Horsepower Floppers on Sunday

17. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

YES....gasser pickups. are cool!!

I still have plates on my 55....definately not street legal. We are plannig to come to Symco!!

E

18. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

I have received several emails asking questions....

For this year, we do not have a closed track, BUT...this Saturday is usually their lightest attendance for other makes and models.....if this goes well much like the 'Heads Up' we can get a closed event next year.....it is all down to attendance, so spread the word.

Vintage pre 66 bikes are fine....you might be matched up with a car, unless you find a raceing match yourself.

The idea being, guys can match up with others that have a close ET...so this looks right and is fun for everyone.

Ryan is right, we are looking for cool correct stuff....much like the Heads Up....With the rules being more relaxed here, we were hoping some stuff we never saw would turn up....for everyone to enjoy.

-Garage built vintage DRAG machines on Saturday
    -High Horsepower Floppers on Sunday

19. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

We discuseed this also....if you have a neat Rod and do not want to make a Full Power pass, or only want to do an 1/8th mile pass.....NO PROBLEM. We want to see stuff out there, or in the car show.....or just drive it down the track....get this neat stuff out of the shed and blow the dust off it and make an appearance.

We will also have a professional 'Movie Maker' on site, so the DVD he makes could really be cool....if we match up properly....those long boring winter nights we all have to deal with are always easier watching some neat Drag Racing vids.

20. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I am pretty sure I am gonna be in town that weekend - I will be there FER SURE!

21. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

22. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My slipping clutch is still smoking from the Heads-Up last month, but this might just get me off-center to get the car apart to fix it quickly. I'll be there if I run it or not.

This is great stuff, brings back lots of memories. Thanks, you guys, for putting in the effort to organize it.

23. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Thank you for your support aqnd help....please spread the word!!

24. ...this sounds like a fun; it's about time we got somethin like this goin at Byron Raceway!
    ...I'll make copies of the flyer and hand em out at the shows/cruises I get to.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  25. Hey Eric, How about a rematch? Only this time no handicap for you.:D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_PYNq0jrDUM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_PYNq0jrDUM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

26. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

301 vs 301.....your on....what handicap? I thought you were sleeping at the light that time.

Rematch is on!! Also the guy with the Pontiac Powered FED is coming, not sure if he is going to race...but if he is...you and him would be a FANTASTIC picture...even if you guys just pedal them easy for obvious reasons...I want that pic on my shop wallof you both on the starting line...a true on of a kind opportunity.

So how many car lengths did you want for the re-match?

27. bgas56

bgas56

Will we see a "full throttle" pass from Koopmeiners this time?
    Check it out July 31st.

28. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Looks like a great event that you have going, good luck and fingers crossed for the weather man being good to you.

Jon

29. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Jon,

Will we be seeing the Falcon gasser? Alot responses from Tri-5 gassers, several Willy's, Anglia's and FED....but not to much on Superstock or Fords....would love to see you run!!

Eric

30. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

B/Gas.....the govenor is off the throttle for Byron....Rev limiter is off....10 grand shifts until there is a problem or carnage.

Ryan....you better have that crossram tuned.....heads up...no car lengths....Paul wants me to give him alot of Car lengths, so none left for you! LOL