Register now to get rid of these ads!

I don't want the car hobby to kill me...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Jun 11, 2010.

1. adamshumard

adamshumard

So I gather up alot of old tin. Usually in the colder months. Reason being the number of snakes in my area. I've tried a few times during the warmer seasons and had a number of run ins with rattlers. So I decided in order to fuel my year rround obsession I need a plan. I'm lookin for some reasonable priced snake boots ands leggins. Anyone have any experience with them? Ever been bitten while wearing them and not gotten hurt? Also what do you for hand and arm protection when puttin rollers on finds. Or opening doors, hoods, trunks, etc. Also when you get cars home how do you clear out any unknown unwanted occupants? I've heard a spray bottle with some gasoline will do the trick.

Any thoughts would be great.

adam

2. Try Cabelas online for a good selection of boots and chaps. And if you get bit you most likely won't die, but you will wish you did!

3. shainerman

shainerman

This is a pretty hardcore question, haha. I have to say Ive never been in the line of fire with snakes trying to get an old car, but id prolly just hook a chain up to the car and give it a quick jerk. Good luck either way!?!

4. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Man, I don't think I have ever in my life worried about dying from a snakebite.

I would think you would have to be nearly oblivious to get bitten by a rattle snake in a situation like that? Hiking or running I could see, but poking around in old cars, approaching relatively slowly and making noise (vibration) would certainly set them off well in advance? And aren't they are pretty good at warning you? :)

Or do you just see a car and sprint across the field in ninja boots, jump silently into the drivers seat and start poking your hands into blind holes? haha.

I second the "outdoor store" suggestion. Good luck man.

5. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

I carry a Taurus Judge loaded with .410 bird shot.

6. la4dice

la4dice

Don't forget about wasp and hornets! Been stung alot, amost bitten by a snake twice.

7. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

Usually I am so excited that yes, this is what I do! Doesnt everyone else?

But around here it is extremely rare to come across anything more venomous than a black widow,and we do get bees/wasps

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  8. nail-head

nail-head

9. adamshumard

adamshumard

they can be a real problem around here. I've heard of guys draggin stuff in during the colder months. Puttin cars in a warm garage and comin back later to find much more awake snake chillin in the car or on the floor.

10. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

When I was living in the south and picking up cars I would mothball the car and go back a few days later... Snake free. Mothballs from the dollar store a real lifesaver.

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I own a pair of "snake bite pants" no shit they sell em..Cabelas, and other hunting stores, like said earlier..
    so far none of them have ever made it past the gun shot
    I also carry my Ruger Black Hawk .357 with 32 shells made up with...snake shot (you can buy that too at cabelas)..blows the piss out of them, and than you have 2 snakes..lol
    but only one has a head so you shoot that one twice:eek::D

I have a real nice set of Anaconda Boots from Peru..and a set of lizard boots too.

had a blast shootin' snakes in colorado, and wyoming

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  12. nail-head

nail-head

It's a myth that rattlers will always warn you with a rattle before biting you.

I was out hunting once and wandered into a big patch of prickly pear, while taking aim a buddy behind me saw a rattler coiled and focused on me while I was focused on my target...and it wasn't making a sound...luckily that buddy had a .410 and a good aim.

13. adamshumard

adamshumard

I should catch one and put it in a tank with mothballs and see what it does. They could be a real life saver.... Haha

14. I was in the bush the other day taking some vintage tins pics and got bit on my side by something. Six bites that hurt like a mother! Keeping an eye on them just in case it's something freaky like spider eggs laid under the skin that will hatch some night and millions of baby spiders will eat me alive. Pleasant thoughts.....

15. willymakeit

willymakeit

My brother was bit by a copperhead last year. Just made him sick to his stomach. When he got bit, he proceeded to beat the snake to death with his fist. He is fairly calm until bit.

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Yeah, except standard moth balls are pretty toxic to you. Snakes and bugs aren't as stupid as humans, that is why they get the hell away from them.

How about just making some noise, being slow and careful and paying attention? Rattlers give plenty of warning. They will see you before you see them and will let you know to stay away. That is why they have the rattlers to begin with. Maybe carry some anti-venom with you if you are that worried.

17. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

Snakes and the damn wasps and bees.

1shot

18. mrforddude

mrforddude

I have been known to be cleanin up some scrap lumber and crap for the bonfire arond the shed with cutoffs and tennis shoes and stomp the head off of a copperhead. But that also had QUITE a bit of Corona courage...

Not real sure that would work with a full grown rattler or anything else for that matter..

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

20. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I have full leg snake chaps. Theyre really heavy cotton canvas and hook to my belt. Hotter than tolerable by mere mortals. (108 degrees in Tucson now.)
    Fortunatley I'm a paranoid sissy and deal with it rather well.
    I got "slapped" once while wandering and felt the hit but didnt get bit.
    $75.00 At the Army/Navy. Made shure I got em in the divorce.

21. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I hate fucking snakes ! ! ! ! !

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yeah...definetly

with all the snake bite that come with the end of a relationship ..good thinkin':D

23. shainerman

shainerman

Try fucking sheep!

24. 56 Rum Runner

56 Rum Runner
    from Missouri

I work for a telephone company and one of the outside guys got so scared of running into a cotton mouth that he got two pieces of stove pipe and carred them in his truck. If he had to walk through tall grass he'd slip them on and do his impression of the tin man. Here are a few tips. Don't go in snake country in the early morning. Most snakes (including rattlers) would much rather flee than fight, but when their cold and cant get away they'll strike. Next, make noise. Give them a heads up that a large preditor is coming and they'll find somewhere else to be. Lastly, carry a walking stick. I use mine to gently beat the grass ahead of me so they'll scatter. I also use it to probe things I'd like to look at before placing my hand within range. Good luck, be safe and have fun.

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Just about the exact opposite, highly poisonous to people.

http://npic.orst.edu/hottopic/mothball/index.html

Not fun stuff to deal with...

26. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

just saw this on tv. the idiot that wears black and kill/gets rid of varmits.says that all snake hate the smell of garlic ?????? he sprays a mix of garlic and?/???? to get rid of them. have no clue if this is true but hey it was on tv so it must be true:rolleyes:

27. adamshumard

adamshumard

the biggest risk out here is the large quantity of waist high grass. you almost always have to walk through it to get to stuff. and you can very easily step right on one before you ever hear a rattle. im not so afraid of the bite as the fact that i alot of times am an hours drive or better away from medical attention and there is 0 cell phone service. gotta love livin in the sticks...

28. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

29. Devoz

Devoz

These will save your life period. Most rattlers will gladly get the hell out of your way IF they can. Make lots of noise, bang on fenders, stomp the ground, whatever, give them the opportunity to move and most times they will. Be careful in the cold, I got way too close to a five footer wrapped around the carb on top of a nailhead in December.