Register now to get rid of these ads!

old compressors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1931S/X, Jun 10, 2010.

1. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

any one know where to buy parts for old compressors? i have a really old devillbiss that i think needs rings. its huge. i was building a big freebie compressor and lost intrest when i realized something is up with the pump. today i looked at an old binks and i was trying to find some info online about them and had no luck.

2. Frank36

Frank36

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Compressor tanks have a finite life span. If the compressor head is that old, and the tank is too, it might be time to retire it.

A ruptured tank could kill you. Even if it doesn't, one trip to the E.R. will cost more than a new compressor. It is not worth the risk.

4. 73RR

73RR

...best to have a look inside if you can borrow a borescope or something similar.

That said, DeVilbiss is/was one of the best compressors ever made. If all else is good then repair parts are the best way to go.

5. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

i had the head off and cleand up the valves on it its not a 2 stage pump. huge 2 cylinder single stage, i am going to say the pump alone is 250-300 + lbs. i had contacted them a while ago and they told me all parts are discontinued for the pump i have. there has to be a way to cross reference rings for it. i put it on a newer 80 gallon tank thatwas an hvac compressor with 2 smaller pumps and motors, but 3 phese and one blown pump. so i ditched all that, used the huge devilbiss and a brand new baldor motor.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  6. Frank36

Frank36

7. Same story when my old one quit compressing 15 years ago, no parts. I just matched up the rings from the back of a Napa? catalog where it shows pictures and measurements of each product. The rings I used were not for a compressor application but were for an old car. My son is still using it.

8. 73RR

73RR

Post the ring dimensions, maybe someone (of the 100,000 of us) has a cross reference.