Register now to get rid of these ads!

The 1955 Chrysler Falcon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

3. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Kinda reminds me of this 1953 Alfa Romeo 1900 SS Ghia coupe.

Attached Files:

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

compared to the T-Bird or Corvette ... I think it is a bit heavy on the front end styling. of course it probably would have been toned down a bit if it went into production.

HEMI32 should be here any minute with a full history and pics.:D:rolleyes:

5. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

Anyone else think the stance looks really high in the second and third photos? Kinda reminds me of the hoopties on 20" wheels today...

6. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

For 1955... thats fantastic... because when i look at it... I see early 1965 ford mustang- stance and porportion... It would look great lowered-

Chrysler in the fiftes had some of the finest industrial design that actually got put into production... just look at all the forward look designs... amazing.

7. I think that beefier look would have carried it far if it had been produced. It looks more muscular, which thunderbird, to me, always looked a little "danty".

Our old 57
    [​IMG]

Compared to
    [​IMG]

8. resinjeff

resinjeff
    from detroit

once i clear several (dozen) projects off the bench, this thing is getting done in 1/25th scale.

9. Huh? ... 1955 Chrysler Falcon? ... HEMI? ... Virgil Exner? ... Carrozzeria Ghia? ... Bortz Auto Collection? ... never heard of 'em! :rolleyes: :D

All joking aside ... @StillOutThere is the better authority on the '55 Chrysler Falcon ... he's forgotten more about the Exner "Idea Cars", than I could ever dream of knowing.

Also ... the Internet is rife with info/pics of about the subject car ... just click HERE.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  10. OK ... I couldn't resist ... here's a couple video clips with footage of the '55 Chrysler Falcon:

NOTE: The '55 Chrysler Falcon footage starts @ the 2:08 mark.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  11. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

I'm not sure why but I can see it racing up Pikes Peek or the running the LaCarrera Panamerica.

Maybe a hardtop would be better for racing.

Jeff

12. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

I can definitely see the tbird resemblence. I like it and would love it if it were lowered a bit. Thanks for the great post!!!:)

13. If ONLY Chrysler management had given the go ahead to produce this sports car, I personally think it had the absolute potential to give the combination of Thunderbird and Corvette equal competition in the American sports car market place of '55-56. Incredible styling. HEMI.

The only reason the early Birds you see today don't sit as high as this Chrysler Falcon is that so few restorers have replaced the sagging factory coil springs after fifty five years of use. Those Birds were all nose high also.

There is ample evidence that Chrysler did in FACT produce three prototype Falcon roadsters. References that say there was just one that was painted three colors over time are incorrect. There are not good records of the destruction of any and only one is known to exist. So keep checking those sheds because another Chrysler Falcon could be STILL OUT THERE. If you find the BLACK one, email me.

Attached Files:

14. There has got to be record of what part of the country they went to? or is that wishful thinking...

15. Nose is a bit heavy reminds me of a Studebaker Lark, but the taillights are a custom builders dream piece.

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Nice design; completely plausible as a production car. Too bad they never did it.

17. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Chrysler Corporation was from its early days a company very much run by its engineering department. The Chrysler Airflow sales debacle cost millions in depression era dollars to the company and for years prompted company management to go ''safe'' on new designs. It was not until 1955, when they let Exner off the leash, so to speak, that design was even openly spoken of in management. Exner's obsession with the tail fin and his on going firefights with management over design control ( some say that these are what lead to his near fatal heart attack in the late fifties) would ultimatly lead to his job loss.
    The corporation's cronic money troubles coupled with internal management "conflict of interest'' charges ment that the Falcon, like so many other Exner Ghia/concept vehicles would never make it to a show room.

If only Exner had had Earl's design budgets to work from, history would have probably been much different!

" The one thing all nations share is the fear that a member of the family will want to be an artist "

18. EZrider

EZrider
    from Waco, TX

I see a lot of Storm Chicken in it !!
    Bob

19. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

I love those taillights!

20. LowCustom10

LowCustom10

It looks like they used some Falcon ideas on the 1957 Dual Ghia.
    [​IMG]

21. Is it just me or are the fins, windshield and fender louvers a little "too close for comfort"...:confused:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Exner designs, but...wow.

22. See, thats immediately what I saw. But I would take the chrysler because my personal opinion is more towards the bigger "looking" car.

23. GaryC.

GaryC.

This is a great looking car. Too bad it never made production.
    Here are a few color renditions with a lowered stance and simplified grill.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      113.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      112.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      111.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      112.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      112.5 KB
      Views:
  24. flamingokid

flamingokid

Chrysler more or less used that grille in the early sixties,Cadillac borrowed the taillights,and the headlight treatment looks like a cross between an Avanti and a Riviera.

25. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Those look great, I always thought lowering would go a long way to making the Ghia Falcon work. I’d actually like to see the side exhausts dumped as well. They’re a little tacked-on looking.

Exner seems to have liked things “busy” (‘60 Valiant, anyone?), but overall I’d say the Ghia Falcon was a success. I would love to have one. Especially with an early Hemi or a dual-quad 413.

Somebody with deeper pockets than I want to have Marcel DeLay whip one up?

-Dave