Register now to get rid of these ads!

more poor quality parts , speedway again

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skidmarks, Jun 9, 2010.

1. skidmarks

skidmarks
    from USA

pretty bad when you install a new SPEEDWAY MOTORS stainless lined wheel cylinder 40-48 ford and it leaks all over the new break shoes while bleeding the brakes. of course another fine made in china part.
    then you get a "oh im sorry they are all on back order" when you call in your problem

2. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

i can top it.... After 60 years of smallblock chevies, you'd think they'd have figured out where the bolt holes should be for a simple set of roadster headers right?... WRONG! My speedway headers required an hour plus with a dremel to get the holes anywhere near where they belonged...

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Those are "1950 Pontiac 'style' lights", they only look similar to real 1950 Pontiac lights.

You can spot a Chinese light from 20 feet away. :eek:

4. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

had similar probem last year. i had a set of repop ford juice brake shoes that were too long where they go into the wheel cylinder when compared to orignals. once the shoe springs were on they were pushing the rubbers into the wheel cylinders past the ports the fluid enters thru. puking fluid when we were trying to bleed them. took cylinder apart and there were marks on the rubbers in the same spot as the ports.

5. Are you surprised? I've had professionally rebuilt and stainless sleeved wheel cylinders redone by an American co. that leaked.

6. budd

budd

so they have a stainless sleeve?

7. 31modelo

31modelo

Speedway is the Walmart of our Hobby. Junk

8. skidmarks

skidmarks
    from USA

thats what i was sold by theyre ad, are you saying i should check? as far as a shoe issue, mine are original ford shoes that were relined old stock from napa. what the pisser is, everything is together and its got brake fluid running out of the drum while trying to bleed the system. never even got it off the jack stands,
    now with it the parts being on back order the use of the bay is lost till i get my next made in china parts.

9. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Moon....Speedy Bill..........all succumb to the desire to maximize profit - unfortunately, it's at the expense of their reputation. I have ordered a few things through the Speedway catalog (by necessity), and the difference between what I'm sent and what we USED to get (I've been fiddling with hot rods a long time) is just enough to make you cry. I have a friend here in town that manufactures a produce that requires aircraft tolerances. He tried to 'job' out a couple of the smaller pieces - first to Mexico, then to China - geez, what a travesty. Guy with the jitters and a pair of dull aircraft snips could have done better cutting pieces out of soup cans. He had to expand his facility and buy a high-buck machine just to make those parts, and essentially, the expense of the machine very likely won't be recovered in his lifetime - but he has his name on the item....

I will say that I have never been dissappointed by anything from Edelbrock. Even when I receive something from them that snuck past their QC folks, they handle it immediately and satisfactorily.

Haven't had many problems with Summit - yet - but I notice some of their stuff appears to have come from the Far East, land of leaded paint and 'close-enough' tolerances.

dj

10. budd

budd

cant you just buy regular cast wheel cylinders?, i have made brass sleeves for wheel cylinders and i brazed them in, they never leaked a drop, but just a press fit would be quite tricky to not have a leak, any tiny scratch would cause one, it sucks buying new crap.

11. scotsmerc64

scotsmerc64

Nuff Said.

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Every post of this type, someone says "they're just interested in profits", with no other consideration to market forces that influence these matters.

I would submit the driving goal is get a product to sell at price that YOU will be WILLING TO PAY........and still eke out a reasonable margin for the effort. Yes, a profit is absolutely necessary in any business....else they can't stick around. When is the last time you were willing to put out a lot of expense and effort and tolerate losing money all the while? Not, lately and not for long, I bet.

I understand, and agree with, the frustration of not being able to buy quality parts but it may be the same at the distributor level...........ever ask someone in the business?

Ray

13. budd

budd

maybe its just me but i think it would be less expensive to cast the whole thing out of stainless, fewer steps to make, less chance of failure, but them again a normal casting can last maybe 30-40 years as long as no water gets inside.

14. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

What's the obsession with stainless wheel cylinders, anyway? Millions upon millions of cast iron wheel cylinders do the job every day of the year. Now, I understand it on those four piston Kelsey Hayes Corvette calipers........

15. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

My buddy Charlie owns a mom and pop machine shop and is a car guy. He makes quite a few parts for Speedway including some of the inner parts of the quick change rear ends. Right here in KS---not China. Just pointing out the fact that not all of their stuff is from China.

16. brad chevy

brad chevy

Ordered one thing from them and now everyday I get 2 or 3 emails trying to sell more junk,the part I bought is a side mirror for the 53,should have just paid $8 for the one at the swapmeet,both made in China out of old beer cans,junk!never order anything again.

17. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

Doctor, Doctor it hurts when I do this.
    Well, don't do that anymore.

Perhaps we should all do better at supporting the retailers that carry better parts even if we have to pay a little more.

18. Wildcat Garage

Wildcat Garage
    from Marion,NC

I used to order from them on a regular basis but quiet several years ago.Why order from a company that sells crap and then complain about it?

19. Lucky77

Lucky77

Have you taken the cylinder apart and inspected it yet? I had the same thing happen with a 40 Ford front brake kit I got from Thompsons Garage. One was fine and the other poured fluid all over the place. One of the boots was out of place and I just put it back together and its been working fine for going on three years now. But it is a pisser when brand new parts make a mess like that.

That being said In the fall of 08 the srping perch that bolts to the batwing on my Speedway spring behind the axle setup sheared off dropping the chassis almost to the ground and the spring end just about digging into the pavement. Speedway sent me all brand new stainless hardware and replaced it all for free but I wouldn't use them for something that takes a lot of abuse like suspension.

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

"There isn't a product that can't be made a little cheaper and thus less quality and the person who buys based on price alone is this man's willing prey". It's been true from the beginning of time. Let the buyer beware.

Frank

21. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I have been buying parts from Speedway for over 20 yrs and have always had good service and acceptable parts..If they weren't acceptable always quick refund or new parts..Most parts I use are suspension or frame related and most have been fine. I usually build a hot rod every year or year and a half..I think they are great, but that's just my opinion...........

22. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Edelbrock had an expensive charity car show at their facility. One of the attendees had a brand new Edelbrock carb that wouldn't idle. I suggested he talk to the tech guy, who had just given a speech about how fine their product was. The guy refused to help him and walked away.

23. chevyshack

chevyshack

Comparing speedway to walmart...HHmmmm. Everyone shops walmart because they sold cheaper crap, but they put the little man that had better quality but higher priced crap out of business. Same goes with speedway. Its hard to have it both ways. You cant have high quality and cheap in the same sentence.

24. skidmarks

skidmarks
    from USA

its bad enough i had a problem, the kicker is made in china and to make it worse i get the "i sorry that product is on back order and i do not have a delivery date". so im out in a number of ways, but speedy bill has my money. i guess he has to keep stocking import crap to stay the worlds biggest/ oldest speed shop.
    remember the rant a couple months ago about his import fenton headers??
    maybe he should support his fellow americans and start making more parts in the USA and support his fellow american instead of supporting some other country

25. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Maybe I'm just lucky but most of the hardware I bolted on to my hot rod was purchased from Speedway and everything has been good.

26. No one else makes wheel cylinders for these that you can't buy one up and have the car going with?

27. Originally Posted by propwash [​IMG]
    I will say that I have never been dissappointed by anything from Edelbrock. Even when I receive something from them that snuck past their QC folks, they handle it immediately and satisfactorily.

I have had issues with Edelbrock RPM cams. Dist drive gear (on dist. and cam) wearing to a knife edge after 20 minute break-in. First words out of their mouth (over the phone) was "our part is not causing your problem". I tried a second Edelbrock cam, same results. Bought a Comp Cam and problem gone. I still run their intakes but I diegrind their name off em before I install.

Sorry about the bold writing, I musta hit something on the keyboard.

28. I bought a wheel cylinder for the same price as speedways from Autozone. 3 day order and no leaks. Sucks they were made in chin-a and are about the only part on my 30 A coupe I can say is not MADE IN THE USA and that sucks. I rebuilt all 4 original lockheed cylinders I had and one leaked hence why I had to settle for chin-a made.-Weeks

29. guess...I just shouldn't be beating myself up when I rebuild those old wheel cylinders...with new cups....and they maybe leak...but man my hands sure are hard to clean....

30. May not help your problem but Mac's Antique car parts sells a COMPLETE brake kit for early Fords- New M/C, 4 wheels cylinders, new rubber lines and shoe springs for under 300.00. All Made in the USA. Very hard price to beat for USA parts...