Register now to get rid of these ads!

Acrylic knob materials

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jfrolka, Jun 8, 2010.

1. jfrolka

jfrolka

Anybody know where you can find a sheet of this for making some knobs

Attached Files:

2. IASCO in Minneapolis

3. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

4. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

That stuff is PVC. Are you sure that's what you want?
    Basically,most pickguard material is nothing more than "engraving stock" that is used by trophy shops (among others) for nameplates.

5. Grizzly tools has a whole pile of guitar stuff, mother of pearl, etc.

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Try Grizzly tools. Even though they sell tools they also carry supplies to build a guitar and they sell the veneerer.

7. jfrolka

jfrolka

I looked thru these links and still nothin pops up in sheet sizes or a finish with that crushed pearl look

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  8. jfrolka

jfrolka

and ya looks like their all laminated, that wont work

9. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

If you could us a thin version, google drum wrap. I got some from Ebay for my dash. They have all the colors and patterns you could want.

10. 1930roadster

1930roadster

Did you "call" Fender? On TV show Gears they supplied him. I dont think they show that if they didnt want to sell it in sheet form. good luck

11. If you looked at grizzly, but didn't find it, try typing guitar into grizzly's search. That should bring up all their inlay material and such.

12. jfrolka

jfrolka

i googled drum wrap and found the crushed white pearl i was lookin for... precisiondrum.com had it! Its kinda pricey but maybe they will send a sample so i can use it on some knob ends..... THANKS!!!

13. jfrolka

jfrolka

How thick is the material you got, im petty sure all these drum wraps are the same..

14. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I wonder if you could take the pearloid or metalflake drum wrap and glue it to a pre-made knob shaped to your liking and then heat it with a heat gun and razor off the excess?

15. Carvin in Hollywood.They sell kits so you can build your own custom guitar or bass.The guy's there are cool.They have there warehouse in San Diego and they could ask directly. I'm sure you could ask them if they could sell a sheet.
    If you want to call here's the # 1 323 851 4200

16. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Hi Jfrolka, the stuff I got is about 1/16" thick. It came in sheets about 2 ft x 3 ft and only cost $20 or so. The genuine Fender material was much more pricey and did not come in such large sizes. I removed the woodgrain vinyl from the dash panels and used them as templates to cut out the drum wrap. I just used a laminate knife and straight edge to cut it, but you can use tin snips if you don't need the precision. I then used Scotch heavy duty spray adhesive to attach to the roughed up pot metal dash pieces. It's been on there 3 or so years in the heat of summer and cold garage of winter. 20 deg.- 95 deg. and it looks like the day I did the job. I thought I had a photo in my photobucket album, but its in the home computer.

There's more posts on laminated knobs with some cool alternatives. Do a search for the details, and show us what you come up with.

17. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

I just re-read your last reply. PM me and I will send you some of mine. Let me know the size. I have the white.

18. FredK

FredK
    Member Emeritus

Got pix? Sounds cool.