Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lets see your Kick Ass Interior that is period correct to your ride

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ragtop49, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Hey, I resemble that remark. I had a V8 Vega with brass slide bolts on the doors. "Kitchen cabinet type" The doors were gutted and the only interior was a glass racing seat for the driver, Moon pedals and a Hurst shifter. Only guages were the mechanical tach for the Vette engine and a big oil pressure red light. Passengers parked their asses on the bare floor or brought a pillow and sat on the slicks if I had the street tires on. If it had weight and didn't make the car faster, it wasn't in the car. LOL

Funny thing is, I never actually made a run on a drag strip with the car... Never got around to building a cage to pass tech... :cool:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  2. I'm lovin' this thread.

Who's used Dave Martinez, or Stitch or Stitchbitch from the Chicago area?

3. Yea I've owned way more cars like that than nice ones. I've just never been really good with money. That parks me with the loosers in our society I guess.

For me life has always been about taking care of my own and going fast. Taking care of my own has never kept me from going fast but it has hindered the ammenities in most of my cars and or bikes.

I'm going to finish the car that goes with those Fatluckys seats come hell or high water. Everyone should have one smooth one at least once.

4. BIG APE

BIG APE

Alot of opinions but it boils down to my car, my time, my money and my ideas. I'm the one driving it and if i"m enjoying it that's what it's about. I rather have a safe car then slick interior. Ratty interior doesn't kill people. I think everybody would like to have slick interior but usually interior's are the last part of a build and most times by then the money tree has no leaves, so lets drive it. My two cents.

5. abone1930

abone1930

That T looks badd AS% need some more picks in your gallery

6. But it has to have just the right amount of patina and mismatched wood screws to period correct.

[​IMG]

7. John, Stitch did a seat for me a few years ago and I was happy with it.

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Awesome !!!

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Very nice.

10. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Here's a taste of mine. I'm taking a different approach. I decided to go with styling cues from the same era of my custom, but not from the automotive arena. The whole interior started with the Eames potato chip chair as inspiration. It's roughly been recreated as my seats. Steering wheel is teak wood from a 62 vette, so the teak is used as a "stringer" in my hand rests and seats. Beech and ash are the other 2 woods which will be coated in automotive clear. The seams in the wood headliner are hidden by stainless pieces which will prove beneficial when I use this thing to vend. Also included is a flat file, a couple drawers, magazine racks on the insides of the doors etc etc.

An abundance of thanks to Tim Conder for all his help, and an amazing craftsman named Pablo Perez.

Attached Files:

11. Yea and the square nutz. Without the square nut spacers it just wouldn't be a farmer rod. :D

Funny how the language changes isn't it? We call patina today what we used to call rust.

When I was a kid before you could buy a kit on the internet you saw a lot of Model 40s with those as saftey latches. Of course the folks with the most "class" used brass.

12. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Early '60's slightly over the top showtruck style in my '54 Panel;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You have the right to say 'I don't dig it'
    I have the right to say 'kiss my ass'

13. I think anything safety related like that is Okay.

14. nail-head

nail-head

I agree. It's not a competition, the unfinished rod, or rat rod, or whatever you want to call it isn't better, or worse (within limits) than the slick finished car. I loved my '68 Camaro in high school. And it was fast and mechanically sound and safe, but had a mismatched original interior that looked like shit because of it's condition and because it was an ugly freakin' green and I had painted the car a deep metalflake copper. But all I cared about was that it hauled ass and it stopped when I put on the brakes and pointed where I steered it. I wanted a nice interior (and so did my girlfriends, as well as air conditioning) but couldn't afford it and sold it before I could.

And I'm not ashamed of driving around with a pretty mediocre original interior right now. But the ultimate goal is a nicely finished comfortable custom. I'd also like a much simpler '40 Buick Special coupe, nailhead powered, standard 4 speed tranny, no power steering, no power brakes, basic, simple, but clean and well designed and executed. I'd also like a knucklehead bobber, a fenderless pre-war Ford hot rod coupe capable of winning a few trophies at the vintage drags, a '59 Invicta convertible, a '52 Chevy Fleetline hardtop, a Triumph bobber, a roadster, a '49 Chevy pickup for a daily driver, my hair back, and another shot at that stripper I used to drink with in Houston back in the 80s...but I'm beginning to realize I'm running out of time to achieve all those lofty goals.

So, to jump in on the ongoing drama on this thread, if all that matters to you is that you like it, I agree. But you have to really mean that. If you ask someone who doesn't like vertically striped bellbottoms with cowboy boots and a pink shirt what they think about your outfit, don't get bent out of shape if they say they don't like it. In fact, if you don't care about their opinion, don't ask them for it in the first place. And don't go trying to re-define "traditional." Words have meaning. That one has a specific meaning. It's definition developed through history and you can't change what happened then to fit what you're doing now, it has to be the other way around.

That's not directed at you, Ape Man, just the thread audience in general.

15. nail-head

nail-head

That's close to the look I was considering for my Riv, the alternative to diamonds. Nice.

16. I take back anythung I said bad about this thread. Fucking amazing interiors here....and that's all that counts...

17. once4fun

once4fun

wow i guess my milk crate isnt period correct either ? but it is mine ...

18. nail-head

nail-head

I don't know, check out my bucket seats.

[​IMG]

19. Sumtingwong

Sumtingwong
    from Enola, Pa

If everything must be "Period Correct", then what's happening is a move toward restoration, as opposed to building a car in the style of an era.
    If I build a car, it will be an extension of my personality- It will have what I like. If it fits in here at the HAMB, great! If not, then You won't see pics of it here, but I'm not going to build a car just for the hamb masses.
    I mean- You guys are great and all, don't get me wrong- But I've always found purists to be inflexible, unimaginitive, and uncomfortable with reality. They create a very rigid zone around them in which to feel comfortable, and woe unto you who intrude with things from the world at large.

20. nail-head

nail-head

Explain the difference between "period correct" and "style of an era."

Those sound synonymous to me, i.e., a distinction without a difference.

21. Well you've been here almost a year we must be doing something right.

I think if you haven't already figured it out we are a pretty loose bunch.

I noticed that there is at least one car in this post that has a late model steering wheel. Pretty nice interior actually. What I didn't notice notice was someone ripping him a new one.

The post for the most part has done what was intended I believe. Some folks got educated, some got offended and for the most part we got a lot of eye candy.

Once the drama queens bailed it turned out to be a pretty good post. No one really cares how much you spend on your ride or what it is when its done. If you get in and dig there is some pretty good info to be gleaned although most of it is visual.

22. WrenchKitten

WrenchKitten

Oh wow, I love that. Awesome.

23. Nail
    I can't answer for the masses but for me if it is going to be period correct it has to be built with the proper period pieces.

here's an example for you.

I'm working on a 50s model car. I have collected some pretty neat pieces to build myself an early '60s style car. Some of the pieces would or have been really hard to come by. For example my buckets are actually NOS JC Whittney race seats. But even though I have the original covers for them I had Sean make some new covers for them.

I happened onto a Mallory tach drive dizzy with a S/W Tach head. But the Mallory has been converted to electronic and even though I have S/W gauges to go with the tach they are only about 5 or 6 years old.

My engine block is an '80 model my heads are aluminum aftermarket. But I am running a period correct Offy 2x4. I'm using Eeelco linkage but it is new Eeelco linkage. I'm running a cable throttle but it is fabbed from a cable operated Drivers Ed brake peddle that was made in 1953 complete with original cable.

I could continue on but you catch my drift right?

My car, although being built in the style of the era cannot be considered period correct because I have taken liberties. It is a mix of modern parts and old parts to come up with the desired style of car. It will have the look and the vibe but it cannot be recognized as a period piece because it is not.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  24. nail-head

nail-head

So if I put new chrome steelies with spider caps on my Riv, it's the "style of an era," but not "period correct" unless I find used chrome steelies made in '63?

That's a stricter definition of period correct than I've been working with...but I get it. How far does that go? I mean, my nailhead has new Egge pistons in it, does that eliminate me from "period correct?" I have RAAMAT insulation where there once was jute, not period correct? Ron Francis wiring harness?

Not that it matters much to me...if the definition is that strict, I'm fine with "style of an era." It's more important to me that what you can't see works well than if it's authentically "period correct." I do want what you can see to fit the "style of the era."

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

And that "style of an era" is pretty much exactly what was hashed out to be acceptable as traditional on here in all those flame fests years ago... It is far more difficult to build something period correct than tradition style or influenced.

26. I think you can way too extreme with some of the stuff. I don't think that I would go to the extreme to rebuild an engine with used parts although Egge wasn't in business at the time its still just a piston. But I don't doubt that there is or will be some sort of concourse that would require you to use all NOS parts.

You have to call it where you are willing to stop I guess. Chrome wheels that look like the old ones are hard to come by at a reasonable price and I sure wouldn't run 40 year old tires on the street.

No one should see your sound deadener. But I would use caution with the carpet maybe. You can buy carpet that is like what you would have been able to come by back then.

Sounds like you are building as close to a period correct car as possible without becoming ridicules.

Just for a point of reference there is a concourse class for restored muscle car cars. In order to get points in this class they must video tape the assembly of the car in entirety. It must be assembled just as it would have been in the factory. Which is to say if it slid down the assembly line backeards then dropped over the engine and transmission assembly it must be done that way etc.

That takes restoration to the extreme or its ridicules. I'm going to say that one can go way too far with period correctness. But someone else is going to say that I'm wrong. So you are going to have to take a chalk and draw your own line.

27. are these worth looking up and reading? or....

28. mikes51

mikes51

Damn, did you have a professional interior designer coordinate that? That is an amazing well done blending of different materials and shades of green. Really works.

29. nail-head

nail-head

Then I'm "traditional" or headed that way, but not "period correct."

And apparently have the HAMB/Zman stamp of approval. :cool:

OK, I've got to get out of here. New Braunfels is flooding and if I don't get back there before the Guadalupe River rises over 46, I'll be stuck at this office all night. Adios.

30. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I like 'style of an era',this fits my kemp way better than 'period correct'
    I don't think there were any wheelchair accessable Kustom show trucks in the early 60's. :D
    Paul