Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lets see your Kick Ass Interior that is period correct to your ride

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ragtop49, Jun 8, 2010.

1. teddyp

teddyp

here,s my 50 chevy done 50,s and my 58 ford just a fun car:D

Attached Files:

2. titus

titus

my roadster

by the "Stichbitch" my wifey

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  3. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

4. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Sorry about the mess, tonight I pulled the blower/air door assembly to replace the blower motor and heater control cables. For now the $20 Mexican blanket will have to do until I can afford swanky upholstery.

Future plans are;
    • Upper door panels painted the same color as the rest of the interior with a white painted inset and white arm rests.
    • Green and white swirled knobs to replace the billet ones on the steering column.
    • White "rolled & pleated" bench seat and headliner.

Attached Files:

5. thanks for all the ideas folks... I'm waay far away from interior but got some idears planted in my head now.. now if someone makes seat recover thinggys that will transform the mercury grand marquis seats i have into something that will look good in my hot rod... when i get there of course...

6. I love this !! nice job !

7. My 32 3W....my design, 1/3 my work.

I like the way it turned out.

Rat

Attached Files:

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

%& heap, I really like how you upholstered those buckets with stock cloth, very clever.

9. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

[​IMG]

I got this car from you, so I hope it ok....lol

10. zgears

zgears

11. Actually not builders, just fellas who don't take the time to think it through.

Most of the cars I have ever owned the interior was not a priority. Whatever happened was good by me. Granted some of them had period correct interior because they were built in that period and that was what was in them when I acquired the body.

I think the intention of the thread whether it lacked tact or not was to make some aware that thinking a project through is as important as the project itself. The junk rod has worn out its welcome, refinement is a natural progression.

Or for those of you that are a little less articulate or are more accustomed to the Ol' Beaner; that's not a hat band its a sphincter, now comb the corn out of your hair and try to get it done right.

12. nail-head

nail-head

So, I'm a long way from interior work on my Riv, but I've been thinking about diamond tuck on the center panels of my seats. I've seen Rivs with both vertical and horizontal tuck 'n roll, but that seems 1) too common and 2) more of a 50s vintage.

School me on interior design history, when did diamond tuck come into vogue? What were the hot interior trends in the early to mid 60s?

13. BoomBoom

BoomBoom

Heres my 49 International with traditional "Bass Boat" interior ;-)

14. Too much coffee?:D
    Not sure if you got your point across:D

15. BoomBoom

BoomBoom

oops! Forgot the pics....

Attached Files:

16. Diamonds were big in the '60s as were narrow pleats not always done horrizontally or vertically. I recall a few show stoppers that had the pleats done diagonally.

On some of the Kookie type Ts, buttons and tufts were the vogue. But that seemed to really come into play in the later '60s more than the early '60s.

A lot of the performance type of builds stuck with diamonds more than tucks n rolls. Look at Kaydubs car.

Mexican blankets were still used as well as sleeping bags but that was considered temporary and never stitched into seat covers just thrown on. the surfers leaned towards sleeping bags for obvious reasons. Actually I don't recall anyone ever stitching seat covers out of blankets until the Rat Rod movement became the rage.

In some show rods and customs leopard skin or tiger skin was also acceptable. But it always reminded me of a ghetto cruiser back then as well as now.

Metal flake vinyl was also comming into play in the early '60s. Not the big pie pan flakes like they used in the '70s but little flakes.

I'm sure someone has actually done some study on this but this is what I can pull off the top of my head.

My seats are done in squares because when I was a kid I always wanted to get some done in squares. I don't know how popular it was but I'm sure I didn't just think it up so I must have seen some done that way. Anyway Sean knew I liked squares and what I was or am building. They are exactly like the picture in my head.

17. M.Edell

M.Edell

18. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

here's mine

[​IMG]

19. nail-head

nail-head

The stock seats have squares on the center panels, but they're just stitching, not deeply pleated. I've considered going with deeper, more plush looking squares, but I've always like diamond tuck, just didn't know if it was a 60s thing or a 70s thing because I remember diamond tuck was still the rage when I was in high school in the 70s. I've also considered the smaller metalflake, but didn't know its vintage, either. This car will be a mild custom, so blankets and sleeping bags are out.

If I go with primarily white or pearl paint with some aqua/blue accents (haven't decided on paint scheme either, but I have decided on the colors), then I thought about a two-tone pearl/small metalflake aqua blue interior.

Sounds like I've got the era right.

20. The "box seat covers" were widely used in the 1940s and 50s.
    Some owners had them put on their brand new car by the dealer......
    never did sit on their original upholstry.

So, since mine is more like an original vehicle, I used this set of
    covers I found and then did the door panels in a matching color.

Then, took it one step farther and did the trunk to match the
    interior.........

Not "custom", but period correct.

Attached Files:

21. dfnpdx

dfnpdx
    from Oregon USA

My tall T. Still under construction, but getting close.

Attached Files:

22. 21tat

21tat

I gotta agree with Edsel Presley.

23. Sounds like what I remember. There were a lot of really sweet cars running around in the '60s. I think you are right on with the little more plush than stock for a custom.

Performance based cars were minimalist at best, but customs were all about luxury.

24. WrenchKitten

WrenchKitten

How about original for period correct? lol

[​IMG]

I'm gonna get it re-done, probably using SMS for the original type fabric, or brother was trying to talk me into something a little more custom while retaining the original vinyl with the Ford emblem embossed in it.

25. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Question: I see lots of trad rods with bear claw latches. I love them, work great and are way safer that the stock mechanisms (don't ask me how I know!), but are bear claw latches considered OK for 'traditional' builds? :confused:

26. fenian65

fenian65

Drama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Here are some pics of the interior in my 61 Impala
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. No a hasp or a slide bolt are considered traditional. Well now I don't know about in the east. That would be trad for the Ozarks. Maybe a screen door hook. :rolleyes:

29. I don't think there is a one of us older fellas that has a problem with an in progress car. We have all been to a rodeo before this one.

We do have a problem with the folks that throw some scabbed together hooptie out there as trad. Then when you point out that a little paint or some skins might be nice they rant and rave about it is done. "This is it and its the baddest MF on the block."

Not having been there an awful lot of the new to the scene (age not an issue here) that pick up some car culture magazine and think, "Maaaan that is Rad, babes hangin' all over it that must have been the way it was."
    [for those who are not aware the models are paid as a rule]
    When in fact that is not the way it was at all.

When you see a primer car or a picture of a primer car from the '50s or even the '40s it was waiting for a paint job. When you see or saw an old beater with a blanket or whatever thrown over the seat the ultimate goal was someday down the road it was going to receive a proper interior.

Did it always happen, probably not, but the goal was to make it smooth eventually.

And just for clarity's sake, for the most part the fellas in the jalopies didn't get the babes. It was the other fellas in the smooth customes or slick hot rods that got the babes.

Nothing has changed, no one is interested in you if you portray yourself as a looser. Unfortunately as a society we recognize the haves as being the winners and the have nots as being the loosers. That's just the way it is.