Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Flying into Phoenix...Driving back to Austin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasHardcore, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Flyinsolo71

Flyinsolo71
    from Austin

I have ridden my motorcycle from Austin to Cali twice on this route. Stopped often to rest and for gas. No problems anywhere that I found. New Mexico can get real windy on I-10, should be no problem. Enjoy the ride.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Man, does it look like you drew the lucky card this weekend! it's going to be 110 or more today, but on Friday a cold front moves in, and they're saying 97, Saturday 92, Sunday 95!!! We won't have temps that low for another three or four months again! Night time temps in the low seventies all days....

3. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

I hate you - j/k LOL

4. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Humdity? About 97% today in Corpus.

5. BWFitz

BWFitz

Yeah, and it was 107 on that stretch yesterday so take some WATER.

6. Drive Em

Drive Em

If you stay in El Paso, DO NOT GO INTO JUAREZ, MEXICO. There is a drug war going on between two drug cartels. People die everyday, including innocent bystanders. 5,000 have been killed since 2008. Juarez is one of the most dangerous cities in the world, and El Paso is the 2nd safest city in the U.S., go figure.

7. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I have no interest in getting killed, the hammer will be down through El Paso.

Thanks guys.

8. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

I have some good friends in tucson and el paso if you need anythign hit me with a pm i will check it periodically or email [email protected] goes straight to my phone. if you need anything in phoenix you have a place to rest your head at my casa... I had a fellow hamber ryan stay with me on his way to the carolinas last year..

9. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

10. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I requested shipping quotes over the weekend, I guess they just hit the desks because I've been getting some really good quotes that would cost considerably less than me flying out and driving back home, and would get the truck to me by the same day that I would retrn if I drove. Hmmmmmm.

11. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Did you get some quotes from the HAMB haulers? Like BenD or Marcy?

13. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

As for now the flight is still booked...but the shipping option is looking better. I've also got a friend who said he'd be willing to pick the truck up and drive it down for me. I'm not scared of flying in & driving out, but it's becoming more of a money issue now that I have cheaper options. I'll make my decision tomorrow.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

...But you wouldn't have the adventure!

15. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

I cant belive that nobody warned you about a little thing we have here called Photo Radar....Little trailblazers full of cameras. If your still running the AZ plate than the ticket will go to the old owner. they my never find you unless the old owner rats you out. the Highway Patrol has a saying between Phoenix and Tucson 85 your fine 90 your mine.

16. :confused::confused: go back to post 12 ,and we mentioned it after that too!!!!!!!

17. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Flying out tomorrow. Back to original plan. Looks like no co-pilot either.

18. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Alright, last post before the trip. Got it all planned out. I'm staying in Lordsburg NM on Friday night, then Fort Stockton TX on Saturday night. Should put me back home Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for all the info/advice, and thanks to those of you who have PM'd your phone numbers and offered assistance. Looks like I've got HAMB Insurance from Phoenix on through El Paso. Crossing my fingers that I won't need to call upon anyone, but it's very appreciated!

19. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

Be safe and have a great trip!

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool man! have a great trip, and once again, if you need any thing on this end, I'm just a couple miles from the airport here in Phoenix. Chip Quinn

21. brandoni

brandoni

I just made the trek from Dallas to Los Angeles in my 52 chevy. I don't have a gas guage and had no problems whatsoever finding a gas station. A good place to stop is in Monahans TX. There is 1 hotel to stay in, and you can wake up and walk next door and eat breakfast at the Hittle Hut or whatever it is called diner next door. Be safe on your trip, pack lots of redbull, and watch out for the po.

22. Of course you now gotta post pics and let us know ya made it safe...........hey have fun and be careful.............Meatball

Attached Files:

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

good luck... east bound and down...

24. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

road update from my phone...

all is well. truck drives great. AZ roads suck. I stayed in Benson last night. Im at the DQ in Deming NM now...planning to stop in Ft Stockton tonight. The wind is crazy right now, but the truck is running smooth at 70mph with no issues. Getting great mpg. Its not too hot...hell, i havent opened the cowl vent all day and only have the drivers window down. Itll get hotter in TX but I only have a short drive tomorrow in the morning. thanks to everyone for your help and everything. Ill chime in later.

25. phat rat

phat rat

Always nice when things go great. Now you have that adventure to talk about and you know the truck better than just driving it around Austin. I made the run from Phoenix to home last Dec in an unknown truck. Left there Wed mid afternoon and slept in my own bed Fri night. I went through El Paso also because of the weather on the northern route.

26. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Man, that's good news. Once you hit Ft. Stockton, it's just a ways down the road to the house. Hopefully, we'll see a few pics of the new ride once ya get home and have a chance to take a nap. DD

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Go man Go! Continued best of luck!

28. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

In Fort Stockton tonight. Wind has been tough. Home stretch tomorrow. Time for sleep!

Attached Files:

29. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Hell yeah... Truck looks great. Love the '57 caps. Have fun.